Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

please help with tutorial to manage windows server
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

please help with tutorial to manage windows server

exp82exp82 Member

Hello this is my first time try windows server , any good website for tutorial to manage windows server? is that with windows we also using ssh? or using vnc?

Comments

• RDP

Thanked by 1gestiondbi
  • mikhomikho Member, Host Rep

There are no tutorial to "manage windows server". To know what you should do takes time. Time that you most likely are unwilling to put in.

Ask a more specific question on what you want to do and I'll answer it for you.

• can let me know how to connect to the windows server? RDP? where to install? i try windows desktop connection but its not allowed for connection? thanks

• Start > All Programs > Accessories > Remote Desktop Connection

• @exp82 said:
    can let me know how to connect to the windows server? RDP? where to install? i try windows desktop connection but its not allowed for connection? thanks

Disable firewall

• if you are using Linux machine, use rdesktop command to connect to windows

rdesktop -u username -p “password” IPADDRESS

• @robohost said:
    Disable firewall

My Desktop windows 7 firewall or the server? and why we need to disable firewall for this? sorry for asking because really need to know

• @exp82 said:

your server,if you was enable rdp sevice and you still can't connect to your server it must be blocked by firewall,first make sure you was enable rdp in your server

• @Miketomy said:
    if you are using Linux machine, use rdesktop command to connect to windows

rdesktop -u username -p “password” IPADDRESS

Hi Miketomy im using windows 7

• cool. Go through "Start > All Programs > Accessories > Remote Desktop Connection"

there you can put server IP address and username to connect to the server.

• !Image and video hosting by TinyPic

still can't connect .

• gestiondbigestiondbi Member, Patron Provider

First, activate RDP inbound connection in the server. And allow the port in the firewall.

• emgemg Veteran

I recently configured a Windows 2012 R2 Essentials Server and a Windows 2012 R2 Standard Server. I have no Windows experience, but enough general technical knowledge that I was able to get them going. I don't remember the exact details to configure them. They differed somewhat between the Windows versions, even though they were both "2012 R2", but you can find lots of configuration help through web searches. Here is what I did:

1. Activate Windows Remote Desktop on the server. If I recall, it was already running on Essentials, but was not running on Standard. I used Server Manager to enable it on Standard.

2. Enable Windows Remote Desktop on the firewall. By that, I mean that Remote Desktop should be "allowed" for both local and remote connections.

Note: If the Windows Firewall is not enabled, it should be. If I recall, it was enabled on Essentials, but had to be turned on for Standard. Whoever said, "disable the firewall" above meant just for a quick test, but not for long term security.

Instead, I would figure out how to enable the firewall and then configure it to allow Remote Desktop connections to pass through the firewall. There are various ways to do it - try the simple firewall settings first. In Standard, I clicked on the Search "magnifying glass" icon and typed "firewall". "Windows Firewall" and "Windows Firewall with Advanced Security" both appeared. For Remote Desktop, I used plain "Windows Firewall", then clicked on "Allow an app or feature through Windows Firewall", then enabled (checked) "Remote Desktop". Easy peasy.

If you can't figure them out, then have a look at advanced firewall settings. Either way, it was well labeled and relatively straightforward. As a last ditch solution, you can simply open TCP port 3389 by the port number, but it would be better to open it by the name. (I had to use the advanced firewall settings for some specialty services that were installed, but you should not need the advanced firewall.)

At this point, you should be able to connect to your Windows Server on the local network.

3. If your network is behind a router or other firewall device and you want to connect from the Internet, then you will have to forward incoming Remote Desktop Connections to TCP port 3389 on the server's internal IP address. In my case, my friend was running his server from a home Internet connection with one "business" IP address. He has a basic NAT/router, so I chose a random high port (say, in the 30000s or 40000s) on the public side to forward to internal port 3389 on the private side. Admittedly, it is security by obscurity, but hackers are always scanning for an open port 3389. Each router is different in how they do port forwarding; I have never seen two routers work the same, and figuring out how to get them to do port forwarding is often very confusing.

4. If you choose a random high port, remember to add a colon and the port number after the domain name or IP address when you try to connect from the remote system (e.g., server.example.com:34567).

5. If you are connecting from a Mac, be sure you download the latest version of Microsoft Remote Access. (I am currently using version 8.0.9). It is free. Earlier versions of the Mac Remote Access software had a bug where they could not connect to newer versions of Windows and Windows Server.

I hope this helps.

• Install teamviewer server on vps.