Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Whats next.. 5GB RAM for 7 dollars? - Page 3
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Whats next.. 5GB RAM for 7 dollars?

13»

Comments

• Even with discounts they are way too expensive. Monster machines are also more expensive, therefore they cant offer you a lot of discount. We shall see how it goes in the future, so far it wasnt too good.

• @apollo15 That's because they finally had to boot their spammers. :)

• CVPS_ChrisCVPS_Chris Member, Patron Provider

Francisco said: It's already happening in the 2GB market. From the looks of it there is a bunch of people that moved from ChicagoVPS to enetsouth's deal. All that needs to happen is another such deal gets released and you'll likely see another migration.

Francisco

This is not true, we barely have seen any churn in clients since the sale :)

• thats actually good, companies compete in customer benefit. thank u, keep it low

Francisco said: BW is also pretty cheap when you get BW priced at < $1/mbit like we do :)

$1/mbit... sounds reputable ;-)

• CVPS_Chris said: This is not true, we barely have seen any churn in clients since the sale :)

Maybe because the recent $7 2GB offer was after the first renewal date?

dmmcintyre3 said: Maybe because the recent $7 2GB offer was after the first renewal date?

Yes you are right, about 1/3 of the orders came before the 6th, However the rest are after the 6th when enetsouth was posted. I have seen about a 1% churn or clients which is really good based on the number of orders we got.

edited October 2011

>

First and last warning. If you call me a liar again -- We are going to have problems..

>

I asked you publicly to hit me up in email and I would have gladly explained how we got this. I will side with fact you know most of what you are talking about but you do not know everything about everywhere and what they have.

>

Hardware

>

Motherboard SuperMicro X9SCI-LN4F Intel Xeon SingleProc SATA
    Processor Intel Xeon-SandyBridge E3-1270-Quadcore [3.4GHz] Hardware upgrade
    RAM slot 1 Samsung DDR3 8GB DDR3 [8GB] Hardware upgrade
    RAM slot 2 Samsung DDR3 8GB DDR3 [8GB] Hardware upgrade
    RAM slot 3 Samsung DDR3 8GB DDR3 [8GB] Hardware upgrade
    RAM slot 4 Samsung DDR3 8GB DDR3 [8GB] Hardware upgrade

>

Please note the following with regard to the installed X9SCI-LN4F Motherboard:

I will gladly prove this further to anyone else who is interested.

>

Brandon,

Is that buffered or unbuffered memory?

• CVPS_Chris said: Is that buffered or unbuffered memory?

Specs say it only accepts UDIMM, and best price I've seen is $330 for an 8gb stick so far.

• FranciscoFrancisco Top Host, Host Rep, Veteran

CVPS_Chris said: $1/mbit... sounds reputable ;-)

long term contracts help get the cost really slick. We got 2Gbit unmetered and a mix of HE, nLayer, highwinds and GBLX/Level3 coming in later this month.

The chipset/cpu's only support UDIMM's.

Francisco

Thanked by 1eva2000
  • rm_rm_ IPv6 Advocate, Veteran

CVPS_Chris said: $1/mbit... sounds reputable ;-)

http://he.net/ has that offered on their main page. From what I heard though, you will need to get a fat pipe and a longer contract to get this price.

• fanfan Veteran

Francisco said: GBLX/Level3

Coming this month? Amazing!

• @rm_ I'm sure that's also shared within the datacenter as well. Coming out of a pool of bandwidth that is oversold between clients. I have 2 shared within the datacenter gigs to the net and my pricing is in that ballpark. (Actually more but close enough.)

My 2 dedicated are no where near that price and that's as a gig each and yearly contracts.

• drmike said: I could have told you that. I learned that 10+ years ago when I was with them. When they were ev1, they admitted to having contracts with certain clients that allowed them to look the other way on complaints in return for looking the other way on complaints. Heck, I have such a thing for my adult content clients as they use high amounts of bandwidth. (Not for abuse though)

Trying to remember what they were called. "Yellow contracts" come to mind but I can't find the reference. I think that was the AT&T version. They were contracts that they knew would attract a high level of complaints.

Dosen't SoftLayer charge more per month for a RAM stick then the actual RAM stick itself cost?

• That's now. When they were ev1, they were running their $1 for the first month specials and covering it with their pink contracts with spammers and other abusers.

Still trying to find an article about how they got outed. The domain of the spamming company was weird as well. One letter change and you got the domain of a Hawaiian surf shop that got caught up in everything. I remember that...

rm_ said: http://he.net/ has that offered on their main page. From what I heard though, you will need to get a fat pipe and a longer contract to get this price.

Who would want HE anyway? Its the worst in the industry. It may be a mix but 95% of it is HE and 1% is nLayer.

CVPS_Chris said: Who would want HE anyway? Its the worst in the industry. It may be a mix but 95% of it is HE and 1% is nLayer.

For us? not really. It's whatever is best path and with GBLX coming in the HE routes are going to just be to what is truly best over HE. When HE is online HE is great, the problems are when they're in DDOS hell or 'who turned off the lights'.

Francisco

Francisco,

You fail to understand weighting. Your suggestion that routes are taking best path on a network with HE included is just an illusion =/

It's simple economics, nlayer isn't selling EGI $1/mbit bandwidth, and I know that for an absolute fact.

CVPS_Chris said: Francisco,

You fail to understand weighting. Your suggestion that routes are taking best path on a network with HE included is just an illusion =/

It's simple economics, nlayer isn't selling EGI $1/mbit bandwidth, and I know that for an absolute fact.

HE does their own funky weight stuff but I do know that when HE dropped offline during the floods we were picking up nlayer without issue. I'm sure if I went to egi and said I wanted a full 10Gbit the price wouldn't be straight $1/mbit since they would likely have to boost their commit. If i'm getting a sweet deal because they simply had a ton of spare bandwidth then i'm not really going to complain :) We ride < 50% usage most of the time with spikes to about 1.2 - 1.3Gbit. We have plenty of growth.

The fact all of our China speed complaints disappeared when we got out of HE makes it pretty obvious to us that nlayer is alive and well for us. When we were in HE our China based users would only get ~100K/sec since HE only has something like 2Gbit to mainland China. Nlayer on the other hand has something like a 10Gbit of direct commit with uTelecom. Once we moved in the vast majority of our china users started being able to pull near line speed (about 300KB/sec is their caps over there).

Francisco

• I think this thread needs to be reopened...
    http://www.webhostingtalk.com/showthread.php?t=1092740

And for less than 7USD/month, and it even comes with 8GB of burst! Must be 256GB nodes!

There's even someone asking them to migrate their current server to one of these 4GB servers. When will people learn!

• Do people seriously need that much memory? Are people buying all those cheap VPS with lots of memory to run Redis farm or something?

Kairus said: When will people learn!

Judging from history... "Never".

Thanked by 1drmike
  • LowEndAdmin said: Judging from history... "Never".

I doubt it will be that soon.

Thanked by 1drmike
  • I had an inhouse datacenter quote of $44.2k for a 10gigbit line. And that would have been shared, not dedicated which would be i could only expect about 60% max guaranteed.

• Forked out for a corporate membership :O

• LowEndAdmin said: Do people seriously need that much memory? Are people buying all those cheap VPS with lots of memory to run Redis farm or something?

Sometime ago I used a Xen VPS with 1.5GB of RAM and 20GB for the HD. The reason, JAVA, I was running an Etherpad clone for a small group. It was and still is a memory hog the app. Now they use Google Docs, the cost for the VPS was too high for them, and running Java on OpenVZ its not very stable.

• drmikedrmike Member
    edited October 2011

One of the mud bases I looked at was java based and they talked about multiple gigs of memory as well. Those asking about vpses were pretty much laughed at.

edit: Having said that, I see very little about java on a LEB.