Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Nameserver IPs of OpenVZ containers?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Nameserver IPs of OpenVZ containers?

PatsPats Member
edited July 2012 in General

Hi,
For learning purposes, i got a low end dedicated box with 4 IPs (1.1.1.1 - 4) with Proxmox(on Debian) installed by the provider on IP 1.1.1.1.
In this i noted the 2 resolver IPs mentioned in the /etc/resolv.conf (1.2.3.14-15)

I created an OpenVZ container1 on IP 1.1.1.2 and installed Centos + cPanel (Trial).
To save IPs, i created Nameservers using the IPs mentioned in the /etc/resolv.conf (1.2.3.14-15)
so ns1.maindomain.com 1.2.3.14
ns2.maindomain.com 1.2.3.15

On the OpenVZ vps, when i created hosting for a domain abc.com using ns1.maindomain.com & ns2.maindomain.com , abc.com can't be pinged or loaded.

It seems i can't use the resolver nameservers of the provider and have to bind 1.1.1.3&4 to my vps and put them in the Nameserver IPs. Am i correct?

Any other way to save on IPs? or in what way i can use the Provider's nameservers?

Thanks !

Comments

• You need to assign the 2 IP's you want to be your NameServers

ns1.name.com would then be 1.1.1.3
    ns2.name.com would then be 1.1.1.4

I had a problem with cPanel and NameServerIP's.

• DamianDamian Member

@Pats said: In this i noted the 2 resolver IPs mentioned in the /etc/resolv.conf (1.1.1.14-15)

@Pats said: To save IPs, i created Nameservers using the IPs mentioned in the /etc/resolv.conf (1.2.3.14-15)

These two lines seem to conflict to me

• PatsPats Member

@Damian corrected them.. for clarity i thought 1.2.3 would be better to denote Nameservers

@Damian said: These two lines seem to conflict to me

• subigosubigo Member

You're confusing your providers DNS for a bind server of your own. Their DNS is like your ISP's DNS... it's used to resolve domains on your dedicated server when making outgoing connections. I'd switch what's in your resolv.conf to use Level3's 4.2.2.2 and 4.2.2.1 servers.

For your domains, you have to create your own DNS server with bind, where you can enter records and resolve domain requests. You also have to register those nameservers at your registrar as a nameserver... or just skip all of that crap completely and don't even mess with bind/nameservers/etc... just point an A record to one of your IPs and be done.

• PatsPats Member

well i want to know the mechanism to Save IPs with possibility to use the Providers Resolvers IPs
    I suppose cPanel/ DirecAdmin/ Kloxo or just Bind without any panel would behave same.

@eastonch said: I had a problem with cPanel and NameServerIP's.

• PatsPats Member
    edited July 2012

@subigo Normally on Reseller Model what is done like we give Reseller our Nameservers like ns1.mycompany.com 1.2.3.14 & ns2.mycompany.com 1.2.3.15
    The Reseller creates his own Nameserver using the same IPs ns1.rescompany.com 1.2.3.14 & ns1.rescompany.com 1.2.3.15

On the same model, i used the Resolver IPs to create child nameservers for ns1.mycompany.com (at the Registrar) and mentioned then at cPanel/Bind level.

hmm.. while writing this its making sense to me that i can't use the Resolver Nameservers as DNS records for my hosting are created in my VPS(Bind), how would the Providers DNS know... :P

Now i'm correct rite?

• vdnetvdnet Member
    edited July 2012

Yes, the resolvers (/etc/resolv.conf) are for you resolving external sites, like if you were to ping google.com. Your nameservers (usually BIND) are to resolve your internal sites, like if someone were to ping yourdomain.com.

You would need to register nameservers pointing towards your own IP(s). You only need one IP if everything is hosted on one VPS. Then the entries you make in your control panel should work.

If you were to use your provider's DNS, you wouldn't be able to modify entries through your control panel, you would have to use theirs.

• PatsPats Member

yeah thanks.. same thing came to my brain (on 32mb LEB - have to upgrade!!) as i mentioned in my last post