Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Recommended EU storage VPS / dedicated solution?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Recommended EU storage VPS / dedicated solution?

Greetings,
I'm skimming the market to build a small OwnCloud instance for our small business. Confessions from your personal experience is greatly appreciated.

DETAILS
• We are 3 employees and up to 5 anon collaborators;
• We use 300 GB of permanent data and up to 100 GB of temporary files that gets exchanged between us, therefore a space of 500GB or 1TB is needed;
• The average bandwidth is 500GB monthly and rarely 1TB (yes, 500GB);
• We're based in Romania and our collaborators are within EU;
• Our budget is a max. of 20 EUR VAT included
• We need a fast internet connection, maybe capped at a stable 3 - 5 MB/s (24 Mbps - 40 Mbps) REAL SPEED. On our side, reaching this speed will not be an issue since we get 1 - 3 MB/s with Japan or US East & West.

OFFERS
So far I've come to this:
• Backupsy, KVM VPS, NL, 500GB, 14 EUR
• Digicube, Dedicated, FR, 1 TB, 12EUR
• FirstHeberg, Dedicated, FR, 1 TB, ~16EUR
• Contabo, (KVM?) VPS, DE, 500GB, 8 EUR/month and +22EUR setup fee
• Kimsufi, Dedicated, FR, 1 TB, 12 EUR +12EUR setup fee
• VPSDime, OVZ VPS, various locations - currently EU not available, very slow speeds (d'oh, you pay bananas you get monkeys)

I'd go with Digicube. Anyone has experience to share with them?

Comments

• I can highly recommend Kimsufi. Shit just works, no fuss, no aggro. I can't vouch for support as I've never had to contact them, but a couple of times when my server got stuck during a reboot, their automated system flagged it and it was dealt with within minutes.

Thanked by 1zkogan
  • NyrNyr Community Contributor, Veteran

Bad idea to use the budget dedicated servers with a single disk. Same with VPSDime & co.

• I'm sure someone should be able to offer you a deal out of Voxility in Bucharest.
    @Maounique ?

• For business I also recommend to have some kind of redundancy. Well, because you know it's a business and having lost data is unacceptable.

• BlanozBlanoz Member
    edited October 2014

Thanks for your concerns guys, but the data will be kept on our laptops & work PCs which means 3 locations anytime.

@Nekki
    Thanks, Kimsufi is my 2nd option after Digicube (I'm just waiting for some LET's feedback first).

• For your needs, I'd say Kimsufi is a good bet. I got in on the free 2TB upgrade action going on a couple months back, I have 2 currently - media server/btsync/backup space on one, other mirrors the first. Full port speed is always available - routing seems good in Europe, but can suck in NA. There are a few bottlenecks in their routes at times.

I'm going to get rid of my VPSDime storage plan in the UK - mostly because of the 2TB boxes I have on different continents - but I've had zero issues with it. I pushed a couple hundred gigs out at once, at 100-180mbps - I think it'd run OwnCloud just fine (if it were in stock).

Thanked by 1Blanoz
  • I would go with @rds100 he has some nice value storage boxes; I know I have one!

Thanked by 1rds100
  • @wych thanks for the mentions, but currently all our cheap Atom based servers are sold out, we have only the more expensive Haswell based ones left at the moment.

• I recommend something INSIDE Romania - External you will be limited to your connections international speed, however on Romanian ISPs you can use Metropolitan or National speed which probably is 100Mbit and less congested than transit.

• Need Romanan dedicated server ? go here : https://client.hostingfuze.net/cart.php?gid=117

Promotions :

CPU : i5 3570, 3400MHz, 6MB socket 1155
    RAM: 2x8GB DDR3, 1333MHz,
    HDD: 2x500GB SATA3 (raid harware)
    IP : 1 or x$1/ip,s up to 200
    Network : 100 Mbps no limit traffic !

Only $50/mo

• Voxility?

• @hostingfuze said:
    Need Romanan dedicated server ? go here : https://client.hostingfuze.net/cart.php?gid=117

Promotions :

CPU : i5 3570, 3400MHz, 6MB socket 1155
    RAM: 2x8GB DDR3, 1333MHz,
    HDD: 2x500GB SATA3 (raid harware)
    IP : 1 or x$1/ip,s up to 200
    Network : 100 Mbps no limit traffic !

Only $50/mo

Eugen, if you're going to read your tickets the same way you've read my original post, I pity your clients.

Thanked by 1hostingfuze