Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Is this allowed / LET Provider?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Is this allowed / LET Provider?

gcgamegcgame Member
edited October 2014 in General

Hello,
Few days ago I saw an thread on LET about 1 small VPS which was fine for me and would fit my needs. So I pinged the test IP which was in thread and I got 32 ms ping and told I'll be ordering tomorrow when I get my payment.

After ordering the VPS, I got it, and woah, ping for 55-60. I asked for an refund; All I would get is:
"You did not answered my question neither you provided proof that somebody from our team guaranteed you that you will have 30 ms or less"

Thanks

EDIT:
Also they have problems with their networking, firewall or something is blocking the communication and not allowing me to download files from SteamCMD. Even tho I told them I did the same steps on other VPS and works fine, on theirs it doesnt. (iptables disabled). They kept telling me its problem with SteamCMD configuration, but it was the same on all VPS'es. (Tested it).

Comments

• netomxnetomx Moderator, Veteran

Is it GVH?

• @netomx said:
    Is it GVH?

No sir; It's http://pieserv.com

• Depends, if its not in any terms/conditions then technically it is allowed.

However I would guess the VPS is in a different location to the test IP you had or their getting slammed right now with traffic.

@gcgame said:
    No sir; It's http://pieserv.com

Is it in the terms? If it is, you should ask for a refund. If not, man up and accept your mistake.

• @netomx said:
    Is it in the terms? If it is, you should ask for a refund. If not, man up and accept your mistake.

http://www.pielayer.com/index.php/terms

Refunds are not possible if the client is not satisfied with delivery time or change his mind right after payment.

The fact they posted wrong informations it's their fault

@gcgame said:
    The fact they posted wrong informations it's their fault

Where did they posted you will have that ping?

• @netomx said:
    Where did they posted you will have that ping?

http://lowendtalk.com/discussion/comment/766029

Posting Test IP's they do not own so buyers think you will get lower ping.

• For reference the IPs are

Network Information

Las Vegas, USA Test IPv4: 76.164.214.155

Buffalo, NY, USA Test IPv4: 198.23.188.179

Dallas, TX, USA Test IPv4: 104.128.177.130

Frankfurt, Germany Test IPv4: 84.201.32.33

Just incase for some reason they get changed.

@op what IP were you using?

• @ATHK said:
    For reference the IPs are

Network Information

Las Vegas, USA Test IPv4: 76.164.214.155

Buffalo, NY, USA Test IPv4: 198.23.188.179

Dallas, TX, USA Test IPv4: 104.128.177.130

Frankfurt, Germany Test IPv4: 84.201.32.33

Just incase for some reason they get changed.

op what IP were you using?

Also they have problems with their networking, firewall or something is blocking the communication and not allowing me to download files from SteamCMD. Even tho I told them I did the same steps on other VPS and works fine, on theirs it doesnt. (iptables disabled). They kept telling me its problem with SteamCMD configuratio, but it was the same on all VPS'es. (Tested it).

• ATHKATHK Member
    edited October 2014

Soo you weren't even using the test IPs given in the post?

I assume you just gave out it your vps IP ;)

• Hello everybody and @gcgame : I would like to intervene here and explain situation from our end as our company name has been called out. I will just write here that client first submitted support ticket about the problem with SteamCMD download and accused us that it is issue with our network.

After we proved him it is not an issue with our network nor we are blocking anything next thing he is asking for a refund ( in separate billing ticket ) and accusing us again that we guaranteed 30 ms ping even though nobody from our staff did told him or guaranteed that as ping depends from various factors.

At the end client has been acknowledged that the VPS is unmanaged so it is his responsibility to troubleshoot the problem with SteamCMD download as download toward any other sites is working just fine.

As for the different IP thing theories: It is in the same location just different IP range. You can check that easily so please stop with the accusations.

• Same location and different ranges still can have VERY different routing - Usually if it is not whitelisted by one of the upstreams. You should at least verify that this is not the case here.

Thanked by 2Lee gcgame
  • @gcgame, can you post traceroutes to 91.108.68.178 and 84.201.32.33?

• gcgamegcgame Member
    edited October 2014

@harisp said:
    Hello everybody and gcgame : I would like to intervene here and explain situation from our end as our company name has been called out. I will just write here that client first submitted support ticket about the problem with SteamCMD download and accused us that it is issue with our network.

After we proved him it is not an issue with our network nor we are blocking anything next thing he is asking for a refund ( in separate billing ticket ) and accusing us again that we guaranteed 30 ms ping even though nobody from our staff did told him or guaranteed that as ping depends from various factors.

At the end client has been acknowledged that the VPS is unmanaged so it is his responsibility to troubleshoot the problem with SteamCMD download as download toward any other sites is working just fine.

As for the different IP thing theories: It is in the same location just different IP range. You can check that easily so please stop with the accusations.

You all kept telling me it's the problem with SteamCMD while it's not.
    I've told you many times that it's getting "Timed Out" messages and VAC is disabled cause it cannon't connect to server due to same timed out message.

Edit: And also, just because you can download 1 file from external website it does not prove you don't have problems with network.

No problem, I can let someone from LET to make SteamCMD working, and I can guarantee its not going to be an issue with SteamCMD, only your VPS networking or something else, not the SteamCMD.

• @alessio said:
    gcgame, can you post traceroutes to 91.108.68.178 and 84.201.32.33?

http://i.imgur.com/d42mh4D.png
    http://i.imgur.com/m4E9BXr.png

• @William's assumption appears to be correct, the routing is quite different.

@harisp, can you simply provide @gcgame with an address out of the same pool?

Thanked by 1gcgame
  • rm_rm_ IPv6 Advocate, Veteran
    edited October 2014

Yep I also have different routing to those IPs.
    In effect the test IP presented by the provider is misleading, as it creates a false impression and expectancy of better routes and pings than what the client actually gets.
    One can only wonder if this is something that's done on purpose by the provider.
    If changing the IP to the same range is not an option, then a refund would seem absolutely justified.

Thanked by 3namhuy gcgame Pwner
  • Mark_RMark_R Member
    edited October 2014

I can't believe that you are complaining about 60 ping.. Its still a reasonable latency. I'd personally get worried if ping exceeds 80 or packetloss occurs. It makes me wonder what you are running that is so ping sensitively @gcgame if it's a gameserver then it usually isn't a problem because modern game engines use proper prediction systems to compensate delays.

• @gcgame - out of interest please tarce at.edis.at - Shoudl go direct via VIX and give you ~15-20ms :)

• rm_ said: One can only wonder if this is something that's done on purpose by the provider.

I dont think we immediately need to jump to conclusions that this might be deliberate.

Mark_R said: I can't believe that you are complaining about 60 ping

Well, I agree that 60 milliseconds wont be that much of a difference, but still, the provided test IP had a significantly better latency for the OP and assuming this is important to him he should be provided with what was advertised.

• gcgamegcgame Member
    edited October 2014

@alessio said:
    Well, I agree that 60 milliseconds wont be that much of a difference, but still, the provided test IP had a significantly better latency for the OP and assuming this is important to him he should be provided with what was advertised.

Actually it does matter. I'm playing on ESL the 1.6 & GO, to low latency is needed.
    They do have methods like sv_unlag, sv_maxunlag but it wont help. Shooting, straffing is a lot harder on 60 ms then 30 ms. (bullet reg)

@William said:
    gcgame - out of interest please tarce at.edis.at - Shoudl go direct via VIX and give you ~15-20ms :)

Maybe next month, out of money ATM. :/

• @alessio @gcgame If it would help him to get the IP from the same range as the one from test IPs it is not an issue. Submit ticket for that and that it is.
    @William I never stated that the ip ranges would have the same latency. I was just stating that it is different IP range than the one in test IPs in thread as somebody replied with question maybe it is different location IP and/or that we post test IPs which are not our.

I would love to offer him IP from the same range the test IP is if the client would be willing to cooperate. Instead client accused us that we told him he will have 30ms ping and when we asked for an proof who told him that in our company name, he is changing the story and mentioning ( again ) SteamCMD problem and completely ignoring that ( first ) accusation.

• @harisp @gcgame I guess this is the usual misunderstanding.

@gcgame might have exaggerated a bit in his claims, particularly about the promised latency as I couldnt find anything like that either. My suggestion (as @harisp already mentioned it) would be to simply provide him with a connectivity (different subnet or whatever else does the job) similar to what he was expecting and everything should be fine.

Would that be fine with all involved parties?

• @harisp said:
    alessio gcgame If it would help him to get the IP from the same range as the one from test IPs it is not an issue. Submit ticket for that and that it is.
    William I never stated that the ip ranges would have the same latency. I was just stating that it is different IP range than the one in test IPs in thread as somebody replied with question maybe it is different location IP and/or that we post test IPs which are not our.

I would love to offer him IP from the same range the test IP is if the client would be willing to cooperate. Instead client accused us that we told him he will have 30ms ping and when we asked for an proof who told him that in our company name, he is changing the story and mentioning ( again ) SteamCMD problem and completely ignoring that ( first ) accusation.

I'm fine with that. Do I need to open the ticket?

• @gcgame Yes as we have to have that request in our database.

• @harisp said:
    gcgame Yes as we have to have that request in our database.

Opened an support ticket. Thanks

• I would agree that the ping is not really a valid reason for opting out and refunding. From my country- I would be lucky to get a US based vps that is less than 100ms ping.

But it is also usual procedure for providers to have a money back guarantee if you did not like their products.

• rm_rm_ IPv6 Advocate, Veteran
    edited October 2014

vampireJ said: From my country- I would be lucky to get a US based vps that is less than 100ms ping.

To make it simpler for you, imagine you try a test IP and get that 100ms ping. Then you buy a VPS from that provider, and discover the ping instead of 100ms is actually 200-250ms. Still "not really a valid reason for opting out?" If not, what are you "agreeing" with, that ping (and misleading test IPs) can't possibly be a reason for requesting a refund?

@rm_ said:
    To make it simpler for you, imagine you try a test IP and get that 100ms ping. Then you buy a VPS from that provider, and discover the ping instead of 100ms is actually 200-250ms. Still "not really a valid reason for opting out?" If not, what are you "agreeing" with, that ping (and misleading test IPs) can't possibly be a reason for requesting a refund?

30 to 70 is different from 100 to 250

• Client reported that everything is fine after we changed his IP. I am glad everything is resolved at his end. I think there is no need for further discussion but feel free if you have time :)