Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Please recommend a blogging platform - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Please recommend a blogging platform

2»

Comments

• edited October 2014

I'd just go with Wordpress. It meets all four of your requirements, and has the biggest support base. Being as widely used as it is will make for an easy time finding solutions to issues, finding nice templates, and finding tutorials how to make it work exactly the way you want.

I'm not saying the other blogging engines aren't good, I'm just saying that it'll be easier to administrate if it's something that's very widely used.

• If it's only ever going to be a simple blog, use Ghost.

If you want to be able to customise it with off-the-shelf addons, use WordPress. I've been making websites for a decade now, and I don't think I ever had a client who just needed a simple blog/site - there's always some non-vanilla requirement. Most WP bloat problems occur when huge commercial themes are combined with indiscriminate use of plugins.

A clean WP install with stock twenty fourteen theme on a well tuned LEMP stack will run fast and light.

• LeeLee Veteran

squibs said: I don't think I ever had a client who just needed a simple blog/site

No, that is exactly what the needed, they just too often don't see that is all they need.

• @W1V_Lee said: No, that is exactly what the needed, they just too often don't see that is all they need.

I make a living from web design/development so I've worked with many clients in the past who don't know what they need.

Luckily I can be selective these days and work with only the ones who do - they make much better customers. Even under those conditions, it's never vanilla. Of course it's rare for me to be commissioned to make a blog-only web presence - but it happens.

• user123 said: if possible, I would prefer a blogging platform with a flat filestructure

PivotX.

• I recommend Wordpress if you like PHP, and DotNetBlogEngine if you like ASP.Net