Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

A small question about Indian vms - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

A small question about Indian vms

2»

Comments

• @namhuy said:

Its a comment "JUST LIKE YOURS"

• @rajprakash said:
    2.5$ suffice?

• If it's not a home connection, what is it?

I've heard the "servers at home/home office/secured home office/secured home bunker with a FIOS/DSL/Fiber connection" once before and it didn't end pretty.

• @mpkossen said:
    If it's not a home connection, what is it?

Its a garage connection

• KuJoeKuJoe Member, Host Rep
    edited October 2014

Native IPv6 with multiple dedicated IPv6 addresses? If so I'd do it for $2 a year, if not then it's not worth it.

Keep in mind that a lot of providers are offering VPSs with dedicated IPv4, 18446744073709551616 IPv6 addresses, more bandwidth, faster ports, along with network and power redundancy for less than $1 a month.

• @namhuy said:
    is this a threat ?

There's absolutely no threat in what he said.

• MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran

KuJoe said: Keep in mind that a lot of providers are offering VPSs with dedicated IPv4, 18446744073709551616 IPv6 addresses, more bandwidth, faster ports, along with network and power redundancy for less than $1 a month.

Not in India.

As for home connection, my home connection goes at about 600 mbps both ways in Romania but capped at 100 mbps outside and is more reliable than power.
    I read a statistic the power cuts averaged 7 hours a year last year with 4 hours in my town down from 10 hours last year, but that is far from real in my old neighborhood.
    This summer alone I had more than 10 power cuts with at least 24 hours total off, I think it was more than double that, those are only what i remember and I wasnt always home, etc.

I do host my neighbor, but on his connection, we have FTP cable between us, I am just housing his hard drives in my server and has a VM there for distributing records of his professional karaoke shows as well as electoral material for some parties he makes (footage from various events, in general, not only electoral or karaoke) non-compressed, full HD and hours long so he is uploading terrabytes of data in a busy day. It mostly works, there is an occasional downtime when the cable between us is chewed by his cats (mine sadly died 1 year ago at 18 and a half years old but used to pull wires to) or when his or my power is cut.

• kk it was just a question , @mpkossen its a leased line from the provider with only 1 IPv4 allowance

• Hmm, considering this offer is an experiment, why not offering this to your friends or local people in your neighborhood. As a start 1-5 persons maybe, and see how it will be. Imho.

• alrdy given to 2 people

• @VPSRAIDSolutions said:
    alrdy given to 2 people

what if they abuse the connection or get ddos attacked? then you will be losing your own private internet connectivity?

• edited October 2014

@Mark_R said:
    unlimited torrenting / no fear of ddos , i dont loose my connection

• cfgguycfgguy Member, Host Rep

In India , vendors make false promises . So be carefull. One DDOS and everything is gone.
    And if you think you can handle ddos then i will setup a l4d2 server and in no time u isp will block you . Which connection anyways you using ?? Beamtele?

• @cfgguy said:

yup , I am having a HP proliant with 2x xeons deployed in banglore should be up by weekend , will provide vmware vms with static ip and 100 gigs of bandwidth on 100 mbps shared port.

• edited October 2014

@cfgguy said:

running a CS GO right now , although I wont allow HLD servers in those vms

• cfgguycfgguy Member, Host Rep

give me the ip and port of cs go i will connect and play

• This feels like an SZ1 scenario all over again...

• @Nekki said:
    This feels like an SZ1 scenario all over again...

Hmm maybe this is SZ2? :P

Thanked by 1Nekki
  • Host a speedtest file so we can test your speed!

• Anyone would be interested if its in ctrls hyderabad ? 202.65.142.170 test ip for ping and ill put up a 100 mb file up and link it here

• Pings from neighbor country :

Pinging 202.65.142.170 with 32 bytes of data:

Reply from 202.65.142.170: bytes=32 time=417ms TTL=99

Reply from 202.65.142.170: bytes=32 time=396ms TTL=99

Reply from 202.65.142.170: bytes=32 time=409ms TTL=99

Reply from 202.65.142.170: bytes=32 time=397ms TTL=99

• @StephenIzzy said:
    Pings from neighbor country :

Pinging 202.65.142.170 with 32 bytes of data:

Reply from 202.65.142.170: bytes=32 time=417ms TTL=99

Reply from 202.65.142.170: bytes=32 time=396ms TTL=99

Reply from 202.65.142.170: bytes=32 time=409ms TTL=99

Reply from 202.65.142.170: bytes=32 time=397ms TTL=99

Which country ? this server is from South India.

• traceroute? as well

Where in Hydrabad/ AP or some other location @VPSRAIDSolutions?

• @MikeIn said:

• traceroute? as well

Where in Hydrabad/ AP or some other location VPSRAIDSolutions?

CTRLS DC hyd

• nikhil500nikhil500 Member
    edited October 2014

-General Rant-
    I don't see the point of hosting a website in India, even if it is in a proper DC. People want servers in a specific location either due to local laws or to reduce the latency for users from nearby locations. There's nothing special about Indian laws, so that cannot be a good reason (the law mandates that companies collecting certain sensitive data should have servers in India, but I don't think the LET community works on projects covered by those laws). As for latency, the assumption is that users who are physically nearby will benefit. However, that is not true in India since the routing is totally messed up. From my home connection in Bangalore (Airtel - one of the most popular ISPs in India), ping to SoftLayer Singapore is ~70ms. Ping to various Indian hosters are also in the same range - Hosgator.in (~66ms), Cloudbells (~72), E2E Networks (~80ms), RackBank (~64) etc. The test IP given by OP has a ping of ~63ms, and that's when Hyderabad is just 600km (~370 miles) from Bangalore. Ping to my second internet connection in Bangalore itself (ACT Fibernet) is ~58ms.

India does have an internet exchange (NIXI) but it is not used much, primarily due to their ridiculous policies. See http://nixi.in/en/mrtg-statistics and http://anuragbhatia.com/networking/understanding-nixi-and-its-policies/

So, why should anybody get a server in India and not in Singapore? If you are lucky, then you will get low pings to a specific Indian DC from a specific ISP in a specific city. In such a case, a server for personal use may work well - but that's about it. Indian ISPs / DCs really need to fix their routing and start peering more before hosting in India starts making sense.

Thanked by 1rm_
  • VMware, my nightmare... I've some VDC lying around and I'm not using it >.>