Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Samsung has achieved tremendous download speeds with 5G technology
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Samsung has achieved tremendous download speeds with 5G technology

TheKillerTheKiller Member
edited October 2014 in General

Samsung has been testing its own version of what a 5G network could look like and they’ve achieved some incredible speeds. Their implementation achieved download speeds of just below 1GB/s (or 7.5 Gbps) which is making us drool and wish the future would come sooner.

However, the company then decided to take the testing outdoors, to the racetrack, and apparently notched download speeds of around 150MB per second, while racing around at 100KPH (roughly 62MPH). Samsung says these impressive figures are due to the high-frequency 28GHz signal used.

Via: http://www.engadget.com/2014/10/14/samsung-5g-network-tests-oh-god-the-speed/?ncid=rss_truncated

Thanked by 1netomx

Comments

• will my brain explode if it comes into contact with 28GHz frequency?

• Cool, but its pointless unless it has widespread adoption; hell 4G's rollout is slow enough.

• wych said: Cool, but its pointless unless it has widespread adoption; hell 4G's rollout is slow enough.

World is changing rapidly mate. War between companies will bring new technology at fast pace.

Thanked by 1netomx
  • I barely enjoy 3G :(

• Well, base station is limited to 10GE (40GE transport or even 100GE is still not affordable, even for large telcos), interconnecting many base stations is also complicated (even in near proximity).

Even worse outside of large cities (imagine ex. London<->Manchester road and the massive amount of 10GE waves required for the entire distance with a tower at LEAST all few km, then imagine the entire UK and the massive backhaul required to London/Man/etc from each small city or even town)

I/We have 2 LTE modems now and they do 100/40Mbit (Tmobile, no external antenna) and 60/1Mbit (Three, external antenna, network beta test), in general it is not bad (and far better than our ADSL at 14/4) but the network is even now already heavily shared (speed varies between 10-100Mbit) with 1GE/10GE uplinks on the base (and we are in the inner city)

Thanked by 1ihatetonyy
  • @TheKiller said:
    World is changing rapidly mate.

Not that rapidly.

War between companies will bring new technology at fast pace.

New technology has been coming out at a fast pace for as long as I can remember, its adoption rate and uptake can still be low.

• J1021J1021 Member
    edited October 2014

GIANT_CRAB said: will my brain explode if it comes into contact with 28GHz frequency?

No, you live in a shell.

28GHz isn't good for coverage.

Thanked by 1GIANT_CRAB
  • kcaj said: No, you live in a shell.

28GHz isn't good for coverage.

You saved a life at LET.

• I'm using WiMAX and people say America is first world country.

• This just happened after the test

• @GaNi said:
    This just happened after the test

LoL looks like you tried to charged it with 220 Volts AC.

• GVH_EricGVH_Eric Member
    edited October 2014
  • Even 4G LTE by Etisalat in Afghanistan has more speed than this one.

• TarZZ92TarZZ92 Member
    edited October 2014

4G isnt even properly released yet. all we have is fake 4G (aka LTE)

Lte isnt the best here http://i.imgur.com/dP3QjzT.png

My DC-HSDPA is much faster

• I dont get 3G, don't even get 4G, why do I want 5G? lol

• MSPNick said: I dont get 3G, don't even get 4G, why do I want 5G? lol

Where do you live? Amazon? or In ocean or Cloud?

Thanked by 1netomx
  • @TheKiller said:
    Where do you live? Amazon? or In ocean or Cloud?

Country side - England.

• I don't get 3G most of the times too.. Only on the big cities.

4G, most phones still don't support it (even phones who are being released nowadays)

• @TarZZ92 said:
    4G isnt even properly released yet. all we have is fake 4G (aka LTE)

Agree, that's just a shitty marketing stuff again. Here's a good FAQ about this:

http://www.techhive.com/article/2083981/faq-how-is-lte-advanced-different-from-regular-lte.html

• GIANT_CRAB said: will my brain explode if it comes into contact with 28GHz frequency?

Naw, not if you haven't been exploded by the 430-780THz frequency you see.

• Will 4g networks downgrade to 3g if your phone doesn't support it? I'm about to pay for a 4g internet sub but my phone might not support this.

• @TheKiller said:
    due to the high-frequency 28GHz signal used.

Until it rains . . .

• Man I can't even get 3G either where I live a lot of times either...

• I am happy witg 3g if it has good coverage and like solid 5m up and down link

3g is fairly unstable in my country its like between 0 to 10mbps from time to time

The dchspa is capable of 42mbps, if i ever get 20mbps that would be fast enough as we wont be able to utilize it much since the shiity usage quota allocated is so little and darn expensive

• @GaNi said:
    This just happened after the test

Most of these "Samsung" Exploding batteries aren't genuine samsung batteries therefore you cannot blame samsung

Thanked by 1netomx
  • ProxyChainProxyChain Member
    edited October 2014

CAT 4 LTE on my Note 3

Not really sure what you would need 1gbps on a phone for, unless the caps increase

• ProxyChain said: CAT 4 LTE on my Note 3

Not really sure what you would need 1gbps on a phone for, unless the caps increase

How much you are paying for this (in USD)? Cap?

• @Chuck said:
    I'm using WiMAX and people say America is first world country.

Sprint?
    I have unlimited data but no 4G coverage in my area unless I go closer into the city ._.

• @nexmark said:
    Most of these "Samsung" Exploding batteries aren't genuine samsung batteries therefore you cannot blame samsung

That's what she said!