Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Pre-launch LEB offer for Ransom IT's new Melbourne SoftLayer POP, OpenVZ/500GB/Australia/$20 quarter
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Pre-launch LEB offer for Ransom IT's new Melbourne SoftLayer POP, OpenVZ/500GB/Australia/$20 quarter

OliverOliver Member, Host Rep
edited October 2014 in Offers

Ahead of an official launch into Melbourne utilising the SoftLayer network and datacentre I am offering this special for the LET community. If you've been holding off Australian services due to relatively small data allowances this might change your mind.

• $20 USD quarterly
  • OpenVZ VPS
  • 256MB RAM
  • 15GB HDD
  • 1 CPU Core (E3-1270 v3)
  • 500GB Data (huge allocation in Australia for this price!)
  • 1 IPv4, 1 IPv6

There's a looking glass up temporarily here: http://168.1.71.36/lg/

Order Link:
https://secure.ransomit.com.au/console/cart.php?a=add&pid=109

Note that this offer is limited in quantity and I may not renew it depending on uptake when I launch officially so get in quick! I think everyone knows the SoftLayer network (AS36351) has a good reputation and their connectivity into Asia via the Sydney-Japan link is very good. :-)

Thanked by 1josephb

Comments

• NyrNyr Community Contributor, Veteran
    edited October 2014

Great offer for that location and network. Good luck to you with the launch!

Thanked by 1Oliver
  • drools

Thanked by 1Oliver
  • trewqtrewq Administrator, Patron Provider

I love you.

Thanked by 1Oliver
  • tsangktsangk Member
    edited October 2014

@Oliver: Thanks for the awesome offer - just placed a pre-order! But for some odd reason, it ended up invoicing $21.00 rather than $20. Could you take a quick look for me? (invoice #10473)

edit: hmm, it appears to happen when I login with my old account. Registering a new one doesn't have the problem :) is this a new user only offer? ^.^

• tsangk said: Thanks for the awesome offer - just placed a pre-order! But for some odd reason, it ended up invoicing $21.00 rather than $20. Could you take a quick look for me? (invoice #10473)

It's one dollar...

• ATHK said: It's one dollar...

Oh, I'd be more than happy to pay for that extra dollar if that's what the price is. It's an awesome price nonetheless. Just for consistency sake though.

That said, I think I know the problem. It may be a currency conversion issue. The price listed is in USD where as the pricing in the invoice is AUD :)

@tsangk said:
    That said, I think I know the problem. It may be a currency conversion issue. The price listed is in USD where as the pricing in the invoice is AUD :)

Yeah, AUD adds a dollar but that's still better than the current exchange rate so it's not really an issue.

Thanked by 1tsangk
  • Another great offer :)

42ms from Western Sydney!

• @0xdragon what isp?
    I get 32ms from outter southern suburbs of adelaide through iinet. Would have thought sydney would be heaps better

• 0xdragon0xdragon Member
    edited October 2014

@AutoSnipe said:
    0xdragon what isp?
    I get 32ms from outter southern suburbs of adelaide through iinet. Would have thought sydney would be heaps better

Internode. Hops are good.

Tracing route to 168.1.71.36-static.reverse.softlayer.com [168.1.71.36] over a maximum of 30 hops:

1    <1 ms    <1 ms    <1 ms  *
      2    31 ms    31 ms    31 ms  *
      3    30 ms    30 ms    35 ms  xe-0-0-1.cr1.syd4.on.ii.net [150.101.195.138]
      4    31 ms    31 ms    31 ms  ae5.br1.syd4.on.ii.net [150.101.33.48]
      5    31 ms    32 ms    31 ms  36351.syd.equinix.com [202.167.228.110]
      6    33 ms    30 ms    33 ms  ae7.bbr02.eq01.syd02.networklayer.com [50.97.19.61]
      7    47 ms    45 ms    46 ms  ae0.bbr02.nd01.mel02.networklayer.com [50.97.19.65]
      8    42 ms    42 ms    43 ms  ae6.dar01.mel01.networklayer.com [50.97.19.77]
      9    43 ms    43 ms    43 ms  po1.fcr01b.mel01.networklayer.com [168.1.118.135]
     10    42 ms    42 ms    43 ms  168.1.71.36-static.reverse.softlayer.com [168.1.71.36]

Trace complete.

• OliverOliver Member, Host Rep

@tsangk yes it's because of the currency.

By the way one new customer alerted me to this and I have tested and verified something that is a bit of a problem for Australian customers: at the moment it seems all traffic entering the SoftLayer network enters in Sydney. They have not joined the domestic peering networks like IX Australia so latency domestically is not the best as for example Tasmanian, South Australian, and even Victorian traffic is going up to Sydney to enter their network before coming down to Melbourne again.

I have raised a ticket with SL about it and their network team are looking at it. I am confident the latency will improve as they have an open peering policy so I think we can hope to see improvements on this front soon. This location was only just established recently by SoftLayer as well so I guess not all the peering arrangements are in place yet. I suggested they join the local peering networks and they responded positively by escalating my suggestion to their peering personnel.

Can't edit my first post but I am making this offer 512MB to match some other plans being changed soon. Customers who signed up have had the change applied to their service.

edited October 2014

@Oliver said:
    By the way one new customer alerted me to this and I have tested and verified something that is a bit of a problem for Australian customers: at the moment it seems all traffic entering the SoftLayer network enters in Sydney. They have not joined the domestic peering networks like IX Australia so latency domestically is not the best as for example Tasmanian, South Australian, and even Victorian traffic is going up to Sydney to enter their network before coming down to Melbourne again.

It's weird that SoftLayer peer with PIPE Networks but I haven't seen any traffic flow over it even through it would be the best route.

edited October 2014

@trewq Yeah I think their routing is a bit weird... They just updated the ticket I have open with them though (about 30 mins ago) and it looks like things are in the hand of their peering department now so I expect this stuff to improve pretty soon. :-)

edited October 2014

@Oliver said:
    trewq Yeah I think their routing is a bit weird... They just updated the ticket I have open with them though (about 30 mins ago) and it looks like things are in the hand of their peering department now so I expect this stuff to improve pretty soon. :-)

Awesome. I got this because it's closer to Tasmania than Sydney but the difference didn't matter in the end.

@trewq check your email. :-)

• Great down under server

Thanked by 1Oliver