Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

online.net ipv6 usage with another provider/server
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

online.net ipv6 usage with another provider/server

this probably is a daft question but im not sure if its possible or not so here goes!

I have my ipv6 range from online.net and after speaking to them whilst cancelling one of my servers with them they said i can still keep my ipv6 address range even if i had no active servers with them as its classed as a seperate order (just not chargable under the ripe rule :D )

so what i was wondering is it possible to add one of ipv6 address to another server?

ive set the dns values in the control panel to my own hosted dns

sorry if its a stupid question

Comments

• I don't think you can use someone's IP range with another provider.

• rm_rm_ IPv6 Advocate, Veteran

so what i was wondering is it possible to add one of ipv6 address to another server?

You need to have at least one active server at online.net, to receive incoming packets for the IP range and forward those via a tunnel or VPN to your server at another provider.

Without any servers at online.net, nope, not possible.

• Without any servers at online.net, nope, not possible.

Sure is, they just won't let him announce a /48 via BGP likely.

If you PM me i assign you a PA /48 out of my /32 (why not, it's 65k /48 after all) which your new ISP can announce for you (you get your own RIPE Data/Sub assignment and a contract over 15 years if required/wanted)

• rm_rm_ IPv6 Advocate, Veteran
    edited October 2014

William said: Sure is, they just won't let him announce a /48 via BGP likely.

The question was about online.net's /48, and while they do say it's a "separate order" from any servers with them, I don't think it's actually "yours" to the degree of being able to "legally" announce it with BGP from another provider. Neither online.net, nor "another provider" are going to go along with that. The expent of the benefit that you get from it being a separate order from servers, ends with the /48 range still staying the same as you order and cancel various servers from them.

• cheers guys for the info. thought it may not have been possible without a work around way of doing it