Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

DDoS-Sentry owner refering to clients as "retarded" and most likely posting fake reviews
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

DDoS-Sentry owner refering to clients as "retarded" and most likely posting fake reviews

NyrNyr Community Contributor, Veteran

Honestly, it's a bit disgusting how kiddie hosts are advertised at the LEB frontpage, but nothing new.

Let's take a look at DDoS-Sentry, which caught my attention:

• First comment is a positive review from Jack Wilson, supposedly a former customer.
  • One customer complains about the setup time. Again, Jack Wilson is there to talk about how awesome this host is.
  • I point out their affiliation with a HackForums host. A host with previous and controversial presence on this community too.
  • A new commenter points out that DDoS-Sentry has directly advertised on HackForums as well. Jack Wilson downplays the fact, two times. Also, he tells me to "stop talking shit I know the facts".
  • "Jack Wilson" commenting again. He seems to be pretty close to the owner but please note he doesn't recognize to be te owner himself: "they had just received an extra 128 IP’s and are setting up all services now."
  • One user leaving a bad review. Our friend Jack Wilson is there again! Calls the customer retarded and again, the owner "told him" about this particular user supposedly abusing the VPS.
  • Finally, some staff from DDoS-Sentry comments about the bad review.

Okay, looks like Jack Wilson is very friendly with the owner and maybe biased, but a fan is a fan, that's nice!

Well, not quite:

Look at Jack Wilson's avatar in the last comment and Max's avatar. They look surprisingly similar, eh? They do since they the same email was used to submit both replies to the blog post, so the same hash was obtained while generating the avatar.

So well, this is not only about a crappy host advertising at HackForums, it looks like they are posing as customers and posting fake reviews when someone points uneasy facts. Also, calling former customers retarded. Way to go!

Comments

• perennateperennate Member, Host Rep
    edited October 2014

So, sounds like the owner is the one who's "retarded", can't even post fake reviews properly.

Thanked by 2Mark_R TarZZ92
  • Seems legit:

I was speaking with the Owner and he said you were trying to run a cod gameserver on 128mb of ram, are you actually retarded?

• vladka24vladka24 Member
    edited October 2014

Huh, the owner bought a SSL of me. Coincidence...

Funny thing is... He never completed the verification step...

• said: Calls the customer retarded

LEB customer base is hit and miss with some degree of retardation

• GreenHostBoxGreenHostBox Member
    edited October 2014

DDoS Sentry strive in maintaining a persistently high security level on all the servers they own and their website. Any of the information that is collected is transmitted through SSL (Secure Socket Layer) and encrypted along the way to help prevent any third party interception.

I see no SSL..

Thanked by 1Chuck
  • Oh, you just wait my good sir. He's just Google’ing his sweet little bum off in an effort to figure out how to set it all up. You just wait, he'll have it set up in no time!

(I think this counts as sarcasm of some kind - I do beg my pard for that.)

@GreenHostBox said:
    I see no SSL..

• So based on past experience, this guy's going to do pretty well here, right?

Thanked by 1Blanoz
  • @Nekki said:
    So based on past experience, this guy's going to do pretty well here, right?

Oh, the irony.
    Thank you @Nyr for alerting the community!

• Jack/Max are one and the same person using multiple IPs and e-mail addresses to respond to this. Let's call him Max.

While DDoS-Sentry has been owned by Johannes for quite a while, according to the WHOIS history, Max seems to have submitted a ticket in May which I closed due to how little information there was and how badly it was composed. That ticket came from an Australian domestic IP.

The recent ticket came from a German domestic IP, which doesn't make sense as Johannes does not live in Germany nor close to its border.

Anyway, I don't know whether it's a sales rep gone bad or something else, but as a precaution I have removed the links to their site and put up a warning.

• These joke of a hosts who can't even get an SSL for a few USD should not get their offers posted on LEB. If they do advertise on Hackforums, they should not be allowed here regardless of their affiliation with any other shady hosts.

@Nyr

Good luck to anyone buying this crap. Is not like a VPS for $5/year is sustainable at OVH.

They are apparently trying to make it sustainable by overselling beyond imagination & by killing legit CPU processes which are not causing any abuse on the node/ That is why I try to stay away from OpenVZ as much as possible especially if the provider is new. Yes then people can say overselling is possible on KVM/XEN as well. Yes it is but it is not as easy to do it as on OpenVZ.

• BrianHarrisonBrianHarrison Member, Patron Provider

@vladka24 said:
    Huh, the owner bought a SSL of me. Coincidence...

Funny thing is... He never completed the verification step...

Probably not the best to publicly comment on the purchases of your customers, even if they are engaged in 'questionable' behavior.

Even if you don't have a privacy policy that bars you from such disclosures, professionalism and discretion always go hand in hand.

Thanked by 1perennate
  • HyperSpeedHyperSpeed Member
    edited October 2014

said: Also, he tells me to "stop talking shit I know the facts"

Suggesting that this 'Jack' is either the owner or someone in the company because how anyone would know the facts like that without being part of the company I'll never know but good find, avoid.

Their no refunds policy is dodgy alone, I'd advise you to contest your Paypal payments being honest as it's false advertising selling something that kills your processes but they won't admit to..

• Thats true, I'm just informing people that indeed he did purchase and was planning on a putting a SSL on his site.

And I do know the owner personally, hes not just some random person. Otherwise I wouldn't share this information. I only sell SSL to people I know.

@BrianHarrison said:
    Even if you don't have a privacy policy that bars you from such disclosures, professionalism and discretion always go hand in hand.