Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

How to fix "Domain xxx has exceeded the max defers and failures per hour (10/10 (100%)) allowed"?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

How to fix "Domain xxx has exceeded the max defers and failures per hour (10/10 (100%)) allowed"?

user123user123 Member
edited October 2014 in Help

ETA: I figured out the problem - some junk mail was getting through the SpamAssassin filter (set to the default 5), being forwarded to the GMail catch-all, and then getting flagged by GMail's spam filter. To what number should I lower the SpamAssassin config to cut down on spam getting through (hopefully, without blocking the legitimate emails I receive)? I have now set it to 4...

For a period of time last night, all emails sent to one of my domains (hosted with shared hosting) were suddenly not delivered - including one from PayPal and a couple subsequent test emails I sent from GMail. Previously, I was receiving emails sent to my domain (all emails *@ are forwarded to a catch-all email) normally. I made no changes to the CPanel configuration recently.

In CPanel, info for the bounced email from PayPal gives the following errors:
Domain <domain URL> has exceeded the max defers and failures per hour (10/10 (100%)) allowed. Message discarded.

Event: rejected rejected User: -remote- Domain: Sender: [email protected] Sent Time: Oct 6, 2014 7:13:19 PM Sender Host: mx2.slc.paypal.com Sender IP: x.x.x.x Authentication: unauthorized Spam Score: Recipient: <myuser>@<domain URL> Delivery User: <my CPanel login> Delivery Domain: <domain URL> Delivered To: Router: reject Transport: **rejected** Out Time: Oct 6, 2014 7:13:19 PM ID: 1XbKHS-0009E9-8O Delivery Host: mx2.slc.paypal.com Delivery IP: x.x.x.x Size: 0 bytes Result: Domain <domain URL> has exceeded the max defers and failures per hour (10/10 (100%)) allowed. Message discarded.

The error (per a test message that bounced back to GMail) is as follows:

`Delivery to the following recipient failed permanently:

Technical details of permanent failure:
Google tried to deliver your message, but it was rejected by the server for the recipient domain by . [<y.y.y.y>].

The error that the other server returned was:
550-Domain has exceeded the max defers and failures per hour
550 (10/10 (100%)) allowed. Message discarded. `

I opened a ticket with the host with the above info and received the following extremely unhelpful response just under 7 hours later:
Yes, your domain <domain URL> was exceeded the max defers and failures per hour allowed.

I'm having trouble finding the actual reason for emails to be bounced/rejected, much less figuring out how to fix it. This is a problem because it's a domain I use quite heavily for receiving email (though I only very rarely send emails from the domain address and I have configured GMail to use the GMail servers while doing so). Help, please?

ETA: I don't know why the markdown code I used to box the bounced emailed isn't working

Comments

• eLohkCalbeLohkCalb Member
    edited October 2014

If I remember correctly this is a setting that the host sets. You may need them to fix it for you, as in to increase the limit.

• @eLohkCalb said:
    If I remember correctly this is a setting that the host sets. You may need them to fix it for you, as in to increase the limit.

I am confused about the error because I haven't sent any emails from the domain (and on the rare occasion that I do, I send emails using the GMail servers, not the shared hosting server).

• 10 emails an hour bouncing back is not normal, check what is trying to send emails and stop it!

Thanked by 1marrco
  • @linuxthefish said:
    10 emails an hour bouncing back is not normal, check what is trying to send emails and stop it!

This.

Thanked by 1marrco
  • user123user123 Member
    edited October 2014

@linuxthefish @wych

Beyond the catch-all email forwarding all received emails, there is nothing set up in my CPanel that should be sending emails. I logged into WHM (I have a reseller account for my own use) and it shows that all sent emails from my domains were just (catch-all) ones that were forwarded successfully (green checkmark). There are no emails that show up as bounced/rejected/other delivery error.

• user123user123 Member
    edited October 2014

After looking at a different window in WHM (why on Earth does running a search for sent mail give different results than clicking the link to view all sent mail?) I think I see what's happening. I also use an address on the domain when signing up for offers and stuff. Sometimes, email gets through the CPanel RBL/SpamHaus, but gets marked as spam by GMail. SpamAssassin is set to 5. To what number should I lower it to cut down on spam getting through (hopefully, without blocking the legitimate emails I receive)?

• @user123 said:
    After looking at a different window in WHM (why on Earth does running a search for sent mail give different results than clicking the link to view all sent mail?) I think I see what's happening. I also use an address on the domain when signing up for offers and stuff. Sometimes, email gets through the CPanel RBL/SpamHaus, but gets marked as spam by GMail. SpamAssassin is set to 5. To what number should I lower it to cut down on spam getting through (hopefully, without blocking the legitimate emails I receive)?

3 here. Getting stuff rejected by gmail is not good, a lot of forwarded mail might start going into spam now...

• said: being forwarded to the GMail catch-all

This is a bad idea. There will always be incoming spam, and forwarding it to Gmail will negatively affect your IP's reputation with Gmail. The result will be more legitimate mail from your server spamboxed by Gmail.

• @linuxthefish @sleddog

Thanks for pointing out something I should have paid more attention to. There is one address that received most of the junk mail. I have created an email account in CPanel for that one (as well as most of the usual addresses) and set all but that one to auto-forward. I'll also keep the catch-all in place for now...

Is there any way to view the content of the emails that were sent to the server and bounced from GMail when it got redirected if there was no email account created on the server at the time?