Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

DrServer launches XenStorage offer
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

DrServer launches XenStorage offer

Just got this in my email:

Dear customers,

We want to announce that we have launched a new XenStorage offer, allowing to get a lot of storage at a very, very cheap rate.

XS - WBP#5 - Xenstorage 150GEN2
2 Cores
256 MB RAM
150 GB RAID6 SSD CACHED
500 GB @ 1 Gbps
1 IPv4 and 3 IPv6
Price: $19.99/Year
Order link: https://drserver.net/drbill/?cmd=cart&action=add&id=145

This server is backed up by 2 SSDs for caching, which means that your most important files are accessible at superb speeds.

Please note: If the offered resources are not enough or too much for you, we can customize them. Please contact us for details in this case.

Thank you for your time, reading the offer. We appreciate it, if you decide to try it.

Have a good day,
drServer Team

Pretty cheap price for a large amount of space.

Comments

• Nice offer.

Thanked by 2drserver netomx
  • Another nice offer from @Drserver

Thanked by 1drserver
  • This is indeed an amazing offer.

Thanked by 1drserver
  • It seems to be amazing offer just bandwidth is a bit low, that should be at least its double.

Thanked by 1drserver
  • @StephenIzzy said:
    It seems to be amazing offer just bandwidth is a bit low, that should be at least its double.

bandwidth is fine. it is supposed to be a storage VPS after all..

Thanked by 2drserver diszk
  • Why not use raid 5 or raid 50? low write speed and disk waste with raid6

• lightforce said: Why not use raid 5 or raid 50? low write speed and disk waste with raid6

Better data protection sounds more important than higher write speed.

• @rds100 said:

Raid 1 provide best data protection, thanks. Drserver just want to balance the roi and data safe IMO.

• lightforce said: Raid 1 provide best data protection, thanks. Drserver just want to balance the roi and data safe IMO.

Not really. With RAID6 you can have two dead disks and still the data is OK. With RAID1 you can't do this.

• @rds100 said:

Do not argue this, search wiki definition pls

• WilliamWilliam Member
    edited October 2014

He probably knows more about RAID than you do by far.

A RAID6 of 5 HDDs (less makes no sense) uses 2 parity disks (yes yes i know it's striped parity but for the sake of understanding) and can take 2 disk failures - Available capacity is 3x (3+2).

A RAID1 of 4 HDDs (2 is generally too small) uses 2 mirror disks and can take 2 fails - Available capacity is 2x (2+2).

RAID6/60 is more economical at more disks, scales larger and the loss of performance with HDDs and modern controllers is negligible.

Thanked by 2Pwner Mark_R
  • @William said:
    A RAID1 of 4 HDDs (2 is generally too small) uses 2 mirror disks and can take 2 fails - Available capacity is 2x.

I thought RAID1 will only have 1x capacity, where other disks will be mirrors. Hence his statement that the mirrors can fail as long as at least 1 disk is functional (at the expense of lower capacity).

Thanked by 1netomx
  • WilliamWilliam Member
    edited October 2014

i don't think anyone runs a 4 way (well 3+1) mirror, what i described can be done in HP controllers at least (as well as normal RAID10)

EDIT: capacity of 5 in RAID6 is x3 of course, my failure

• @DalComp said:
    I thought RAID1 will only have 1x capacity, where other disks will be mirrors. Hence his statement that the mirrors can fail as long as at least 1 disk is functional (at the expense of lower capacity).

That's true. Capacity is still 1x and more drives are not used for more space.

There are some raid calculators on the internet, use it :) http://www.raid-calculator.com

Thanked by 2netomx DalComp
  • @William said:
    EDIT: capacity of 5 in RAID6 is x3 of course, my failure

It's OK, you are RAID protected.

• @lightforce said:

You probably can't read or you are just unable to understand how RAID works...

I would say the same, don't argue this and please read the wiki of this topic.

Be friendly and don't be rude. Sigh...

• @duyan13 said:

AM I wrong?since you are chinese 90s boy( my.zol.com.cn/duyan13)
    I think you should understand how it defines in chinese (http://zh.wikipedia.org/zh/RAID)
    Random 2 of disks in same array can be failed in raid 6.
    Raid 1 can be tolerant of more in same array as long as all do not be failed in different arrays.

• duyan13duyan13 Member
    edited October 2014

@lightforce said:

Now you are being racist about chinese ? Oh my holy cow.
    Read the previous posts. You moron.

Thanked by 1tarasis
  • LeeLee Veteran

@lightforce said:
    Do not argue this, search wiki definition pls

Heh, I nearly spat my coffee out, go you!

Thanked by 2jar Mark_R
  • @W1V_Lee said:

2b,you should go to mjj c boss forum
    go you?chinglish?why not say f*** U? LMAO

• LeeLee Veteran

If I had even the slightest clue what you just said I would, thanks, or do it, or whatever you just said.

Thanked by 4Kris Pwner Riz jar
  • GoodHostingGoodHosting Member
    edited October 2014

@lightforce said:

Please stop immediately, you are not making anyone look any better or worse except for yourself.

Thanked by 10xdragon
  • @lightforce said:

You should learn to speak English properly before accusing other people of speaking "Chinglish" (or however you refer to it). This isn't some 8 year old's Minecraft forum, we don't speak "Moronese".

Thanked by 30xdragon netomx jar
  • My asshole detector took me to this thread. Icecream anyone?

Thanked by 3netomx jar mikho
  • Pwner said: This isn't some 8 year old's Minecraft forum, we don't speak "Moronese".

That's why I couldn't understand anyone. Makes so much sense! Must be why I can't understand Youtube comments anymore.

Thanked by 3jar netomx Pwner
  • @Silvenga said:
    That's why I couldn't understand anyone. Makes so much sense! Must be why I can't understand Youtube comments anymore.

Darude - Sandstorm

Thanked by 1xDutchy
  • jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran
    edited October 2014

lightforce said: since you are chinese 90s boy

Oh man this made me laugh so hard, but then you managed to one up yourself:

lightforce said: I think you should understand how it defines in chinese

You heard it here first guys, RAID calculations are different in Chinese.

Thanked by 3netomx FrankZ Pwner
  • Lol

• @hostnoob said:
    Darude - Sandstorm

Origin is Twitch.tv chat afaik, still fun Kappa

• nice offer indeed...

@drserver : do you plan to offer something similar in EU later on?