Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Amazon Cloud computing - Information needed
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Amazon Cloud computing - Information needed

After posting a thread here and obtaining several advices we had finally thinking of checking three services
Vultr- Already signed up
Linode- Already signed up
Amazon web services - Signed up and head spinning- Totally confused

The above two companies offered understandable service which we are used to. But Amazon services are giving a severe headache to us in understanding their billing, usage, and server creation and utilisation pattern. Hence again coming back to LET community to have a better idea. We had created an Amazon account which conveyed that we are eligible for free tier which we understood fully about what are the service which we can use within free tier and its limitation.

What we don’t understood are the following

1) What are the bandwidth cost of Amazon, is it given per VPS like DO, Linode gives
( 2 TB per VPS) it shows something per region, what exactly it is? Is it like if our customers are spread across various region and accessing the service each region charges separate rate? Is it too costly when compared with other VPs providers?
2) What are the reserved instances? If we purchase reserved instances for regular websites should we go for high usage instance or medium instance?
3) If we purchase medium usage instance and operate it for full time will there be any more charges?
4) What is this CPU quota? Some 20%-30% like that is given which is really confusing.
5) After the reduced tariff will amazon be costly than Linode for a basic small VPS?
6) Is snapshot creation and restoration a tedious task in Amazon EC2?
7) Is anyone here in LET using their service via reserved instance purchase mode?
8) If we purchase the reserved instance for a fixed price should we end in paying anything more?

Waiting for great answers.

Comments

• Ask Amazon. Really. Much faster, more accurate.

When I had questions with their services they answered them all.

• @hoczaj said:
    Ask Amazon. Really. Much faster, more accurate.

When I had questions with their services they answered them all.

We are in free tier, our ticket raised two days before was not even replied, not even an auto reply was sent, hence coming to forum. How you had raised a ticket with them in free tier?

• programer said: We are in free tier, our ticket raised two days before was not even replied, not even an auto reply was sent, hence coming to forum. How you had raised a ticket with them in free tier?

then avoid them :)

• See http://aws.amazon.com/ec2/pricing/ on the far low part of the page, there's detailed Data Transfer pricing. From $0.12/GB and lower on higher bandwidth usage. Region is the location of your instance: US, EU, Japan, etc. They have separate billing item per region because pricing in one region might differ from another region.

I am seeing reserved instance as : pay setup fee, and your per hour pricing will be reduced. The more you pay for setup fee (light, medium, heavy utilization), the less your hourly pricing will be.

Amazon pricing is very complex, they charge even for IOPS usage. You could test your usage and compare how they are shown in the billing page. Just make sure you won't end up with huge unexpected bill.

• @tommy said:
    Yes we want to but our test site worked so fine in their cloud server, even in a very small, tiny instance created, it loaded nicely, hence we are impressed with their service.

@DalComp: Yes we had spend some time in reading and understanding the reserved instance, what we would like to know is any LET user have experienced it?

• ChuckChuck Member
    edited October 2014

Their t2.micro plan costs $114 a year ($0.013 per Hour)? So expensive.

• edited October 2014

AWS Calculator

We use a lot of AWS services and do have multiple reserved heavy-utilization instances for EC2, RDS, etc. Depending upon your needs, it can be quite cheap for their smaller instances; especially, with the free tier.

if you'd like to automate some things, have a look at Skeddly.

• @TekStorm_James- Thanks, in which region you are using this service, are they used for hosting purpose?
    We had used AWS calculator but its too tedious to understand, there are few hidden charges that may be levied.
    Also is it really required to use Skeddly type of automation, can it be done within Amazon panel?

• aws, for the most part, is an ordinary VM. It works as advertised, and very rarely requires any manual intervention from them.

There is also NO support included in the base package, don't expect replies unless you purchased the (albeit, cheap) service addon.

Thanked by 1programer
  • Shortly, don't use amazon. They sucks. They expesive, do not provide any SLA, low-quality network-paths, oversell / cap of resources, no support, they steal money from you by giving wrong information on website - on your invoice you'll see 10-20x more price than on their website and increased numbers of traffic usage (not the real number you use).

Use better cloud-based VPS.

E.g. Linode, Vultr, Azure, Google

Thanked by 1programer
  • edited October 2014

programer said: @TekStorm_James- Thanks, in which region you are using this service, are they used for hosting purpose? We had used AWS calculator but its too tedious to understand, there are few hidden charges that may be levied. Also is it really required to use Skeddly type of automation, can it be done within Amazon panel?

We have various services in most regions, but primarily, utilize US West (Oregon) though. We make use of multi-AZ setups for different clusters; generally, behind an ELB with auto-scaling. While Skeddly isn't required, and you can do things in other ways, their service isn't overly expensive and is relatively easy-to-use.

• Profforg said: They expesive,

Maybe you don't know what you are paying for. You truly aren't getting cheaper than Amazon if you take everything into account - like HIPAA compliance.

Profforg said: do not provide any SLA

http://aws.amazon.com/ec2/sla/?

Profforg said: low-quality network-paths

Good enough for Netfix - 30% of the world's bandwidth. An average user will hit an AWS server every day, multiple times a day.

Profforg said: they steal money from you by giving wrong information on website

Evidence?

• hoczajhoczaj Member
    edited October 2014

programer said: We are in free tier, our ticket raised two days before was not even replied, not even an auto reply was sent, hence coming to forum. How you had raised a ticket with them in free tier?

Contact the sales... :) I always had a 24 +-4 hours response time. (I'm using their SES)

Usually the free tiers are used by micro companies and developers. If you contact their sales team, they may assume that you are not a freebie guy with a thin pocket.
    And ofcourse try not to look one, starting your sentence with: "Hi, I'm a sole developer who expects 3 user / week on my WebApp, and I just would like to ask you some questions...."

• We had tried, our ticket to sales/ billing sent before some 4 days roughly is not answered yet, its a nice support

• MikePTMikePT Moderator, Patron Provider, Veteran

Hello,

I have been managing a big infrastructure in Amazon for more than 4 years.
    I do some consulting, feel free to contact me and let me know what you need, I'll clarify all your questions.
    We're using Amazon EC2, RDS, SES, CloudWatch and a few other services.
    (Note: We're spending thousands of dollars per month @ Amazon)

Thank you!

• Oops Thousands dollars? We are not so huge.