Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Monitoring software (like Pingdom)
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Monitoring software (like Pingdom)

littleguylittleguy Member
edited July 2012 in General

I'm looking for something like Pingdom, but self-hosted.

So far I have found:

http://sourceforge.net/projects/phpwatch/

Shows a lot of promise, but development seems to have halted.

http://sourceforge.net/projects/phpservermon/

More recently updated, but the GUI is not as good.

Do you have any more similar software? PHP/web ui preferred, some other nice things would be:

• Email sending via external SMTP server (eg. Gmail)
  • API (JSON)
  • Uptime, response time graphs

Thank you for your time!

Comments

• RobertRobert Member

Zabbix fits the bill, but it's possibly a little complex. Worth getting in to though (IMO)

• DamianDamian Member

+1 for Zabbix. Also, look into nagios, if you enjoy having high blood pressure.

• Hmm... Curious about Zabbix, may just resort to something more independant like these scripts at the top.

Then again, why do I need all of these things, I have Pingdom 1Year free and UptimeRobot :']

• I am planning on creating a similar script/site but with a proper design (distributed monitoring and database, redundancy everywhere). If you (or anyone else) is interested in joining in just drop me a PM.

• RobertRobert Member

I might be creating a bit of work for myself here, but if anyone wants a free account on my Zabbix server, drop me a PM. I set it up quite some time ago with the intention of creating a monitoring service. I'm still planning on it, but other things keep getting in the way. The agent is in most repositories.

If I ever get round to finishing a basic self-service portal to add/remove servers, I plan to have a free tier for monitoring 1 or 2 servers.

• TazTaz Member

Selfhosted? Status2k? Nikki's status?

• littleguylittleguy Member
    edited July 2012

@NinjaHawk said: Status2k

Looks pretty awesome, non-free is the only issue I guess.

@gsrdgrdghd said: I am planning on creating a similar script/site but with a proper design

I have been looking a bit at the phpwatch source and have started to hack on it to suit my needs (timezones, persistent settings, more monitor gateways), check out the source, maybe we could help each other out. :)

• miTgiBmiTgiB Member

@Damian said: Also, look into nagios, if you enjoy having high blood pressure.

I know it is unthinkable to use the site google to search this site, which is why these monitoring threads appear once a week, but I have a pre-made openvz Centreon/Nagios template

http://hostigation.com/ovz-templates/centos-5.5-i386-centreon.tar.gz

And yeah, it was a bitch setting up, but all the heavy lifting is done here, just don't type yum update ;)

• @littleguy said: I have been looking a bit at the phpwatch source and have started to hack on it to suit my needs (timezones, persistent settings, more monitor gateways), check out the source, maybe we could help each other out. :)

Thanks, but i'm actually looking into building something custom which scales horizontally so i'll be using MongoDB as a database.

• prometeusprometeus Member, Host Rep
    edited July 2012

@miTgiB said: And yeah, it was a bitch setting up,

Can I profit and use it? :-)

Thanked by 1netomx
  • miTgiBmiTgiB Member

@prometeus said: Can I profit and snag it? :-)

Free ice cream?

• prometeusprometeus Member, Host Rep

@miTgiB said: Free ice cream?

I'm waiting you at the airport with a few barrels...

• @miTgiB said: these monitoring threads appear once a week

I'm amazed at the monitoring obsession and the complexity of some approaches :) For years I've been using a bash script (with pung), and a couple small text files for storing results. Very simple, effective & highly portable. And I run it on a local linux server at the office. If my DSL goes down, then no monitoring. Which doesn't matter to me 'cause I couldn't fix anything anyway :)

• @sleddog said: I'm amazed at the monitoring obsession

I was mostly looking for a clean solution that'd tell me when services (not only web hosting, mind you) go down.

phpWatch seems to be great for that.

Looked into Status2k but it was a bit bloated, besides it requires you to install it on every server you have, which is quite the hassle, since many of my servers dont even run PHP.

• pung $host $port $timeout

Doesn't get any cleaner than that :)

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran
    edited July 2012

I guess I'll share my secret, since no one here ever refers to the infinitely better designed php server monitor.
    https://github.com/madeinnordeste/PHP-Server-Monitor-Plus

Not much of a secret ;)

Been thinking about a crazy cheap hosting package based around an alteration of this. Appeal would be higher uptime than an average LEB. Simple in nature though.

• @jarland does it require every server to have PHP though?

Because my DNS servers don't have PHP :P

Nope, it monitors websites or ports

• netomxnetomx Moderator, Veteran

I got a PHP one, do you want the source?

edited July 2012

@netomx I was raised to always remember that when you visit Mexico, never approach when they say "It's just in my trunk over here."

I edited it because it was really never trust a Mexican but...my family was racist, now I like to poke at them for fun even when no one gets the joke ;)

• miTgiBmiTgiB Member

@jarland said: never trust a Mexican but...my family was racist.

That is really racist :( There are bad people in Mexico that prey on tourists, but there are far more bad people in the US that prey on others. Everytime I've been to Mexico, I've come across some of the nicest people just as anyplace I have visited.

@miTgiB East Texas ;)

@jarland said: I edited it because it was really never trust a Mexican but...my family was racist, now I like to poke at them for fun even when no one gets the joke ;)

don't worry, I know my people; as @miTgiB we have bad and good people. when you visit Monterrey, PM me.

• DamianDamian Member

@gsrdgrdghd said: (distributed monitoring and database, redundancy everywhere). If you (or anyone else) is interested in joining in just drop me a PM.

I'd be interested in providing a node to run this on.

@netomx Seriously never been. I don't know why. I'm so close to Mexico and it looks so beautiful down there.

@jarland said: down there.

where' u from?

@netomx Longview, TX. A bit of a drive but there's certainly worse ones.

@jarland looong drive, but I think Laredo is the closest border; so, Nuevo Laredo is NOT GOOD. Monterrey is nice though :)