Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Vultr smtp port block- Should we need it to be removed?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Vultr smtp port block- Should we need it to be removed?

Hello

A noob's question.

For our website we use external mail server ( office 365), our site does not even have a contact form which use PHP mail function, in this case does it require to request smtp port block removal? Is it really needed?

Also if the port is blocked is there any chance for any one to spam with our mail ids or ip?

How to avoid email spoofing in VPS servers with Vestacp as control panel?

Comments

• If you need to email with that server, yes. Otherwise no :)

• We dont need to use that server for mailing, we use office 365, yet Vultr is conveying that the mail server need to be tested, why and how?

• @programer said: For our website we use external mail server ( office 365), our site does not even have a contact form which use PHP mail function, in this case does it require to request smtp port block removal? Is it really needed?

Provided you have set up all emails, including OS system emails etc, to go out through an external SMTP - then no need.

Also if the port is blocked is there any chance for any one to spam with our mail ids or ip?

Always! This does not stop spammers sending from their servers with your name.

• Can't you get your domain verified with MandrillApp or MailGun? They offer free plans with ~10k email monthly.

• @aglodek said:
    Always! This does not stop spammers sending from their servers with your name.

Sending in my name cant be stopped and that is not of my concerned here, will it go through this servers ip is the question. Also is there any measure to stop that spam?

@Blanoz - Yes we can get it verified, why not? We have active subscription of Office 365/ Zohomail why this Mandrillapp or Mailgun is needed then?

• Please ignore my question, I'm alien to MS products.

• If your using an external mail server there is no reason on why it would run via your Vultr instance, you would however need to have your VPS connect to your mail server in order to send out if you did get a contact form.

Blocking the port on Vultr would make no difference to your SPAM levels as your email all runs via a 3rd party server.

I think what your looking for is SPF/DKIM.

• aglodekaglodek Member
    edited October 2014

@programer said: Sending in my name cant be stopped and that is not of my concerned here, will it go through this servers ip is the question. Also is there any measure to stop that spam?

Stop that spam - no. Limit damage by having it rejected by many if not most recipients - yes! Set up SPF and - most importantly - DKIM, for your domain(s).

• @wych - Hello How to set up DKIM in Cpanel?
    Will setting up of SPF and DKIM prevent spoofing and spamming?

• @programer said:
    wych - Hello How to set up DKIM in Cpanel?
    Will setting up of SPF and DKIM prevent spoofing and spamming?

http://m00.me/rrfs and it cuts a large chunk down yes.

• Vultr makes a very good email host, none of their IP's are blacklisted and it only took me one support ticket to get SMTP unblocked!

Thanked by 1DaveA
  • @linuxthefish said:
    Vultr makes a very good email host, none of their IP's are blacklisted and it only took me one support ticket to get SMTP unblocked!

Yeah, blocked by default but they will unblock it upon request :)

• AvonAvon Member
    edited October 2014

@wych said:
    Yeah, blocked by default but they will unblock it upon request :)

Are they still asking for a copy of photo ID and credit card to get it unblocked?

• wychwych Member
    edited October 2014

@Avon said:
    Are they still asking for a copy of photo ID and credit card to get it unblocked?

No idea. @linuxthefish ?