Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

It's Windows 10 - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

It's Windows 10

Comments

• A quick demo about the desktop/touch integration

Looks good and smooth so far.

• MeanServersMeanServers Member, Host Rep

I was thinking about this last night, maybe Microsoft skipped 9 to prevent confusion with Windows 95, Windows 98 and their variants. I know you would have to be completely clueless or really young to confuse them but it could happen and I can see that as reasoning to skip the #9. Just my thought on the skipping part at least.

• I have been a windows user and for me it has its own advantages. I love linux too and use both. The fact that MS is releasing newer versions compared to no new versions in years, is a great improvement.
    P.S. MS Office still rocks especially Excel.

• ad0ad0 Member
    edited October 2014

@hostnoob said:
    Looks shit. Guess I'll be using Windows 7 for many more years.

People who like design more and do not mind wasting resource will like windows 8.1

People who do not like to waste resources go for 7

Windows 7 is the best OS of Microsoft so far

• jvnadrjvnadr Member
    edited October 2014

alessio said: would have noticed that they are not simply reverting to the desktop, but merged desktop and touch

In Windows 8 they tried to merge desktop and touch, and it was a disaster. They tried to change that a little in windows 8.1, bringing back some features from the old-fashioned desktop and then, in Windows 10, the innovation is another step back with converting their tiles desktop that they had advertize so much, in something like an add-on to the start menu. This is not something new, this is something they did because they failed in designing the 8 version. Tiles are wonderful for a noobie to an average user of a windows phone/tablet, but, it cannot be used IMHO from a desktop / laptop user. Classic desktop is way better.
    So, merging your previous desktop with the pre-previous one, allow me, is not something that could stated as innovation.

alessio said: Microsoft made leaps from XP to Vista, 7 was another nice step forward and 8 added further improvements.

Their closed architecture and the logic that a user should be able to do/customize things only if MS want it, sucks. And I am saying that as a daily user of various Windows O/S: From XP to some old machines (do not crucify my, I know about the "old" OS and security problems, I am not using it as an internet machine but for specific other purposes with specific software) to 8. Windows 7 was a really an improvement in handling pc resources, when windows 8 (and much more Vista) would eat more resources without offering something better than 7.
    And they are still making operating systems that needs more and more power, more and more ram and making new "popular" software for those machines (Office, for example) that needs even more power without giving something more for the 99% of users! Why?
    A modern linux distro, even with aero-type capabilities in it desktop, can perform better in slower machines with less ram. It is a race Microsoft force us to participate, to buy/upgrade hardware because new software needs better hardware, for the same tasks.

Think this: small android boxes with cost no more than 50-70$ with their OS embed and free, can surf the web the exact same way as an expensive 400$ pc can with a 200$ cost of Windows in it. It can play 1080 HD movies and youtube videos, in can play 5.1 music.
    Alternative software for business purposes in Linux (gimp, cad apps, office suites etc.) can do the same as the "original" software in a Windows environment (Office, Photoshop, Coreldraw, Autocad) with much less hardware requirements.

Last but not least: Even their try to evolve tasks in Windows OS is, some time, a failure. I think most of windows users will agree with me that Windows Explorer in XP is way better than the same program in Vista/7/8 . Especially when it has to come to the search function! That's the reason there are tons of alternative software that try to emulate the functions explorer in XP had...

TL;DR

IMO, a real innovation from Microsoft side would be not to try to merge desktop with mobile phone environment, but to make different editions of the same operating system that is addressed to different needs. So, an office machine that only needs internet surfing, skype and word/excell/access suite, could be a lightweight version of the same operating system when a power user (serious gamer/ video editing etc.) could buy the appropriate edition for their needs. But they will ever do that, because they are in consistency with the companies manufacturing hardware.

Thanked by 1tehdartherer
  • ad0 said: Windows 7 is the best OS of Microsoft so far

Absolutely agree (but for SP1 and up)

• @MeanServers said:
    would have to be completely clueless or really young to confuse them

Or old. ;)

• jvnadr said: In Windows 8 they tried to merge desktop and touch, and it was a disaster.

I'd argue both of that. They stated they wanted to merge but basically tried to push a touch interface into the regular desktop world. I wouldnt go as far as calling it disaster but it was definitely not appreciated by the desktop world (including me).

jvnadr said: in Windows 10, the innovation is another step back with converting their tiles desktop that they had advertize so much, in something like an add-on to the start menu.

Again, you obviously havent followed the presentation of Windows 10, this is simply not true. All they did was remove the touch requirement for regular desktops. Thats the only reversion of course, and the often asked for. For the touch environment they still have the tiles concept they advertised so much.

Not to offend or patronise, but please read about Windows 10 and its changes before making further such statements.

jvnadr said: So, merging your previous desktop with the pre-previous one, allow me, is not something that could stated as innovation.

It is generally arguable how innovative anything in today's IT world is, but I do call Windows 10 a step in the right direction.

jvnadr said: windows 8 (and much more Vista) would eat more resources without offering something better than 7.

I am surprised you feel that way. Apart from the arguably UI issues with 8, it is generally perceived as slimmer than 7. My overall first-hand experience with 8 is somewhat limited but since a few days I am running 8 on an Atom powered tablet with 1 GB RAM and couldnt complain about the performance. It runs very smoothly.

jvnadr said: small android boxes with cost no more than 50-70$ with their OS embed and free, can surf the web the exact same way as an expensive 400$ pc can with a 200$ cost of Windows in it. It can play 1080 HD movies and youtube videos, in can play 5.1 music. Alternative software for business purposes in Linux (gimp, cad apps, office suites etc.) can do the same as the "original" software in a Windows environment (Office, Photoshop, Coreldraw, Autocad) with much less hardware requirements.

I am sorry, I cannot agree to any of those points. The small Android boxes you refer to can play back a Youtube video (if you are lucky even in a higher resolution) and possibly display a small to medium sized website without issues. If you try to do anything slightly more advanced you will quickly hit their limitations.

As for the software aspect you mentioned, thats actually a completely different issue. Some of the mentioned programs might be sufficient for basic usage but also there you will quickly hit their limitations. There is a reason why Autocad and Photoshop are that popular despite their price tag. And while I am not a hardcore Office user, I still do not consider Open/Libre Office a real competitor to Microsoft (let alone Google Docs).

jvnadr said: I think most of windows users will agree with me that Windows Explorer in XP is way better than the same program in Vista/7/8 .

There you have a point, but then the Explorer is a nice basic tool but nothing for serious file management anyhow. So thats hardly an argument for or against Windows [whatever-version].

jvnadr said: IMO, a real innovation from Microsoft side would be not to try to merge desktop with mobile phone environment, but to make different editions of the same operating system that is addressed to different needs.

They started this in the server area with their Core editions and thats exactly what I understand they are trying to do with 10. They will have a common foundation which will then be appropriately configured for the respective target platform. I highly doubt that a mobile phone running Windows 10 will run network share related services.

• Microsoft just wanted to keep up with the cool cats like PHP who are skipping from 5 to 7.

• At least I may have an option of what to use once l win7 is EoL ...

• deejay31deejay31 Member
    edited October 2014

The preview isn't too bad, works well

• I was gonna install the Windows 10 technical preview as my daily OS but then I read through this - http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/preview-privacy-statement

If you read closely you will realize that everything what you do is probably sent to the Microsoft team. Basically they are giving you bleeding edge software for your data and "feedback" and I dont think there is any way to turn off automatic reports.

• A Microsoft developer explains in a Reddit thread why Windows 10 is called Windows 10.

As per: https://twitter.com/mikko/status/517358472715710465/photo/1

Thanked by 1orak
  • Haha.
    Maybe just "windows nain" would sound too bad in some languages (German) ;-)

Thanked by 1k0nsl
  • DewlanceVPSDewlanceVPS Member, Patron Provider

It means Without Startmenu, Windows is nothing and peoples will start using Linux.

• Who is this guy in the video with that "mirrored" Hitler hair cut?

• ok so M$ likes to get more money

• k0nslk0nsl Member
    edited October 2014

@Amitz:
    That is Joe Belfiore - Corporate Vice President, it even says so in the video(s) if you watched them ;)

I found some funny comments about him. For example:

[edit]

This formatting..

Thanked by 1Amitz
  • @k0nsl said:
    Amitz:
    That is Joe Belfiore - Corporate Vice President, it even says so in the video(s) if you watched them ;)

I found some funny comments about him. For example:

This formatting..

Rebecca Black Tech? O.o

• So Windows 9 is the best for its not being released feature?

• ad0ad0 Member

The control panel is still the same as 7

• @ad0 said:
    The control panel is still the same as 7

Has been that way also in 8.x, apart from its touchy version.

• I believe they are on the right track with this.

Giving them the benefit of the doubt. I was never a Windows 8 hater though. I just ignore the metro and sit in my desktop.

• M$ has also released the next version of Windows Server along with Win10.. Since no one has mentioned it, here is the link to try it..

http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/evalcenter/evaluate-windows-server-vnext-technical-preview

Any KVM providers wanna add this ISO to the list? ;)

• oh, tiny note, this new shiny function they have in windows 10... It's a keylogger, it sends everything to microsoft...

• alessioalessio Member
    edited October 2014

@Floris said:
    oh, tiny note, this new shiny function they have in windows 10... It's a keylogger, it sends everything to microsoft...

Its not a shiny new function and its not in Windows 10.

The technical preview simply comes with telemetry feature collecting (user experience) data during this alpha phase.

Please no FUD.

• FlorisFloris Member
    edited October 2014

@alessio said:
    Please no FUD.

The Privacy policy of the Windows 10-preview suggests something else though.

get your facts straight before cracking me down already.

Source:

http://thehackernews.com/2014/10/download-Windows-10-keylogger.html