Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Supermicro X9DRD-IF onboard raid opinion
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Supermicro X9DRD-IF onboard raid opinion

BhuvanBhuvan Member
edited September 2014 in Help

So , I was planning to configure this mobo which has onboard raid 0 1 1+0 facility , In my opinion onboard raid for 4x SSD drives should hit the marks of 2 GB/s I/O , similar to RAID CARD although i think onboard raid would not put load on CPU + mobo doesnt have to contact the raid card on a pci slot making the stuff even faster .

But what do you guys think ?

will be using 64 gigs of ram +2x E5-2620

Comments

• You're probably right. However, I personally prefer to use LSI/Adaptec cards as you can pack more drives with them. Just imagine the I/O when you have 6x 900 GB SSD on a LSI Card w/ Cachevault add-on.

Also +1 on using E5-2620's

• Yea planning to provision a few under this configuration

2xE5-2620

64GB RAM

4x512GB Samsung EVO pro SSD

OnBoard RAID10

125 IPv4

10TB @ 1GBPS

HostDime DC Orlando FL USA

Free OS reloads

@ $300/m

I wonder if the price is good compared to market

• i think onboard raid would not put load on CPU + mobo doesnt have to contact the raid card on a pci slot making the stuff even faster .

Umm... How exactly do you think the onboard controller communicates with the rest of the system then?

Onboard raid will be slower than a decent raid card.

• will try to run a benchmark on it after my first build then will compare it with a lsi raid card variation

• wychwych Member
    edited September 2014

@Bhuvan said:
    will try to run a benchmark on it after my first build then will compare it with a lsi raid card variation

On board will be slower than the add on raid card.

Also do you have a spare motherboard/card on hand for the systems should one take a dump and you need to recover the data?

• @wych said:
    Also do you have a spare motherboard/card on hand for the systems should one take a dump and you need to recover the data?

Ofc spare parts will be available for immediate replacement including drives will stock on WD's blacks and Samsung evos

• said: In my opinion onboard raid for 4x SSD drives should hit the marks of 2 GB/s I/O

Nope. You'd be lucky if you get something over 500MB/sec

• I guess @serverian is right waiting for your results though

• BhuvanBhuvan Member
    edited September 2014

@serverian Lets see , even im not sure what kind of I/O speed i'll be experiencing , it is a SATA III RAID , the onboard raid you mentioned is SATA II which is limited to 500 mb/s

• @Bhuvan said:
    serverian Lets see , even im not sure what kind of I/O speed i'll be experiencing , it is a SATA III RAID , the onboard raid you mentioned is SATA II which is limited to 500 mb/s

No, he's right. You'll find out soon :)

• You are running RAID-10, on-board controller vs addon controller will make no real difference.
    Plus an addon controller is introducing a SPoF - Single Point of Failure -- for no reason.

You also lose TRIM/garbage clean up by using raid cards -- which actually means DECREASED PERFORMANCE.

• @Bhuvan said:
    Yea planning to provision a few under this configuration

2xE5-2620

64GB RAM

4x512GB Samsung EVO pro SSD

OnBoard RAID10

125 IPv4

10TB @ 1GBPS

HostDime DC Orlando FL USA

Free OS reloads

@ $300/m

I wonder if the price is good compared to market

Good price with that overall expensive hardware config.