Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What distro for a VPS? - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

What distro for a VPS?

2»

Comments

• I run Mint at home, CentOS on my VPSes. Keeps me proficient with both the Debian and Redhat lines.

• I typically use Ubuntu LTS for personal stuff, but I hop on the CentOS bandwagon for business stuff.

• @DalekOfSkaro said:
    Nowaker You pretty much covered everything here. Some of us may be interested in Turnkey Linux images since Jumpbox is not free.

I didn't know Turnkey. Looks quite nice. Noted down, will think of it later.

• SymlinkSymlink Member
    edited September 2014

They are all Debian Nazis over here:

0xdragon said:

Debian master race bitch

Debian is preferred because it installs less things by default compared to the only real competition it has which is centos/rhel. So Debian takes up less RAM and that matters on low end machines.

As for Ubuntu it is for heretics.

The rest are just fluff.

• Till now I've always used Ubuntu on my Server(s) (home computer self hosting 7-8 years ago, then Slicehost, then Linode, and very recently VPSDime & XVMLabs) because that is what I know and is available on all the VPSs. However the Dedi I recently got at Online.net is running ArchLinux partly as an experiment to see what it was like and partly to have access to more recent versions of packages.

• NowakerNowaker Member
    edited September 2014

@Symlink It's not a question whether the East Side or the West Side is da best, you know ;) I was just asking what people use on VPS, no matter if it's a crap distro or whatever.

I'm quite surprised that Fedora is never a distribution of choice on a VPS. I thought it will get around 10%.

• I like CentOS and Ubuntu LTS. I guess many hosting providers stick to this.

• I usually will go with Debian and in some cases CentOS.

Come to think of it, seem like I never had any other distro beside Debian/CentOS for production purpose.

• @johnlth93, I know of some who do use Ubuntu and also Windows :-) if you would like to believe that.

• @virtualizor said:
    johnlth93, I know of some who do use Ubuntu and also Windows :-) if you would like to believe that.

why not? :) Windows got it uses and Ubuntu is well known too

• On the website where you say "don't care about the details at the beginning!" I'd change 'care' to 'worry' - users should always care, but they shouldn't need to worry!

• @Nowaker said:
    I'm quite surprised that Fedora is never a distribution of choice on a VPS. I thought it will get around 10%.

I like Fedora but often providers don't offer minimal templates for it, takes an extra moment to strip out the unneeded packages and maybe make more adjustments (e.g. firewalld vs. iptables, a lot of tutorials out there for the latter) while Debian or CentOS often come minimal and ready to go. There are also a number of useful packages that only support the most popular distros, e.g. VestaCP.

• These days I've been going with Ubuntu a little more often than debian. I've used CentOs as well when I have a reason to.

Perhaps we need another similar poll on 32 bit vs 64 bit. I've been staying with 32 bit versions for the smaller systems. The extra overhead of 64 bit can be significant on something small like a 128MB OpenVZ VPS.

• @verloren said:
    On the website where you say "don't care about the details at the beginning!" I'd change 'care' to 'worry' - users should always care, but they shouldn't need to worry!

Thanks. Will do.

• awhawh Member

If unable to use Arch (OpenVZ, no iso available, etc), then Debian.

• Arch is probably the worst choice one could make :)

• @rds100 said:
    Arch is probably the worst choice one could make :)

It depends. With Arch one has to configure everything from scratch and update with extra care. Then all is fine.

• VikingLayerVikingLayer Member
    edited October 2014

Usually CentOS but I run Debian on some boxes too.

• My Vote goes with CentOS & Arch Linux