Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

HAproxy, is it worth it?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

HAproxy, is it worth it?

Hello
I would like to talk about some possible usages with HAproxy that with certain characteristics would make it unreasonable to use. I would like to say that I never used it so I'm just assuming things theoretically.

Let's say we have we 3 servers within the same private network. 1 used with haproxy and the other 2 as the backend servers. If they all have 100Mbit ports and traffic has to pass through the haproxy wouldn't this in the end slow down things? If we have a very intensive application (video streaming) the 2 backend servers would saturate haproxy at 50Mbit each instead of having 200Mbit total.

Also what happens if want to load-balance between remote servers? You would need to pay for the bandwidth from the backend servers to haproxy in addition to the BW from haproxy to the client. And what about pings?

So in conclusion it seems like haproxy is only useful to load-balance CPU usage and within private networks with very high port speeds only. Am I right?

Also if you need to use PHP sessions (who doesn't) and you have to stick to one server what's the point there?

Comments

• AnthonySmithAnthonySmith Member, Patron Provider

Sort of, if you have all servers on the same switch at 100mbit but that would not be a regular case use for haproxy and you can also redirect rather than pass through/back with haproxy.

Also remember it is not really built to load balance bandwidth so much as resources.

Thanked by 1sandro
  • TACServersTACServers Member
    edited September 2014

@sandro - It seems that what you are looking to do is something called OOB load balancing, or Out of Band. The proxy redirects requests to some server, the server then communicates directly with the client, and not through your proxy. The proxy's job in this instance is to direct people to the server with the most availability, and then let the server do all the lifting.

Thanked by 1sandro