Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

LXC Containers vs. Docker ( vs. OpenVZ )
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

LXC Containers vs. Docker ( vs. OpenVZ )

aglodekaglodek Member
edited September 2014 in General

I'm looking into Docker and LXC as IP-less alternatives to OpenVZ.

Docker looks great, but one issue I have with it is that it runs on 64-bit architecture only. This makes it less than practical for encapsulating minimal apps, designed to run in small VMs (<512MB RAM).

My questions:

• LXC is built into Linux. Is this true for 32-bit distros, too? Does this mean it runs on 32-bit distros?

• the upside of using LXC or Docker, as opposed to OpenVZ, is no need for add-on IPs. What's the downside, if any? More/less RAM and CPU intensive maybe?

• has anyone done any comparison on how much overhead each of the above - LXC vs. Docker vs. OpenVZ - generate on a KVM host? I'm mainly concerned with RAM usage on small VMs.

Comments

• Not answering your question, but

I once ran 2 LXC containers on a 512MB backupsy VPS. No problem, but memory usage was tough. It's 64bit KVM and each LXC ran a mysql replication server.

BTW LXC or Docker are meant for self using, not for (re)selling. Thus don't count too much on isolation, etc.

Thanked by 1vimalware
  • aglodekaglodek Member
    edited September 2014

@msg7086 said: I once ran 2 LXC containers on a 512MB backupsy VPS. No problem, but memory usage was tough. It's 64bit KVM and each LXC ran a mysql replication server.

Wow! 64-bit OS and 2x DB servers on one 512MB KVM yet! Interesting. Offhand, can't think of a more RAM intensive setup... that is unless you've throttled mysql's cache config to make this work?

BTW LXC or Docker are meant for self using, not for (re)selling. Thus don't count too much on isolation, etc.

Yes, I'm aware, thanks.

• They are only replicating master servers. And basically they won't cost more than 2 MySQL instances with the same configuration. Actually I gave up this structure after I find out how to run multiple MySQL instances on a single server.

• Actually docker is just lxc + lots of features that make everything easier.

I would think docker and lxc containers should be a lot less than actual vms. But Openvz is perhaps the VMs implementation with least overhead.

• @vampireJ said: Actually docker is just lxc + lots of features that make everything easier.

Yep, used to be, but that's not the case any longer.

I would think docker and lxc containers should be a lot less than actual vms. But Openvz is perhaps the VMs implementation with least overhead.

Actually, they are all the same - all PVs.