Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Another SolusVM Alternatives Thread... - Page 3
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Another SolusVM Alternatives Thread...

13»

Comments

• I think we should all contribute into JoePie's existing system that he's been working on, there a decent code base to work off of and plenty of other things that can be done to get it moving along a lot faster than starting from scratch.

• How can you use that as a base? The source isn't available is it.

The source code for WebVirtMgr.net is now available on Github, https://github.com/retspen/virtmgr/

• @WebVirtMgr said: The source code for WebVirtMgr.net is now available on Github, https://github.com/retspen/virtmgr/

Excellent, i thought there were no plans to release it when we spoke yesterday :P

• jhjh Member

I've been playing around with Cloudstack for a couple of days now on my own servers. It is fantastic and it can do a lot of what isn't technically supported - local storage for example. That said, I'm having a nightmare trying to convert from Solus to it - I only have one node and there are clients paying several hundred pounds on there for SSD hosting and my management so I can't have problems.

I will speak to @GetKVM_Ash again today and see if we can come up with something. The plan would be to license it out to the rest of you for just enough to keep the development going at a reasonable pace.

@WebVirtMgr said: The source code for WebVirtMgr.net is now available on Github, https://github.com/retspen/virtmgr/

This is absolutely fantastic news, thank you very much!

• These sources are available for personal use. We do not recommend their use in the production system.

• jhjh Member

@WebVirtMgr said: These sources are available for personal use. We do not recommend their use in the production system.

We'll be building on it :)

• in our plans to continue to develop our SaaS service that makes it easy and intuitive way to configure dedicated servers if they are running libvirt-st. At the moment service is positioned as a free management tool and one of the possible ways of working with virtual machines. How to use each to determine for himself.

• TazTaz Member

Any update on the project?
    @subigo will it be modular?

• jhjh Member

@NinjaHawk said: Any update on the project?

Ashley and I won't be doing it anytime soon, together anyway. He's making some Kickstart ISOs for Solus and I've just signed a contract with OnApp.

• jhjh Member
    edited July 2012

@liam said: You have to sign a contract with onapp, seriously?

Yeah, just like with Ubersmith.

• miTgiBmiTgiB Member
    edited July 2012

@jhadley said: I've just signed a contract with OnApp.

And when your SAN fails every 6 months? Do they come and fix it and pay you for losing all your customers data, or do they just say oh well like they do when they fail with vps.net?

• @jhadley said: He's making some Kickstart ISOs for Solus and I've just signed a contract with OnApp.

Sure am, got CentOS 5.8 and 6.2 up and running, its a lengthy procedure though.

• jhjh Member
    edited July 2012

@miTgiB said: And when your SAN fails every 6 months? Do they come and fix it and pay you for losing all your customers data, or do they just say oh well like they do when they fail with vps.net?

Hahaha

I don't know where to start with that. First off, I'm using local storage. Second I've just picked up a 6TB RAID6 NAS, so I'll be increasing the backups I make (for free, automatically) of each VPS. Third, I've used OnApp with a my own SAN before and didn't have any problems.

VPS.net are just sh!t unfortunately :P - that has nothing to do with OnApp.

• vps.net has had issues with their SAN units period, but these latest san's I have not seen a problem with the one node I have with them since the migration a few months ago.

• jhjh Member

@FRCorey said: vps.net has had issues with their SAN units period, but these latest san's I have not seen a problem with the one node I have with them since the migration a few months ago.

What are they using this time? They change them a lot and always have problems

• miTgiBmiTgiB Member

@jhadley said: VPS.net are just sh!t unfortunately :P - that has nothing to do with OnApp.

Didn't vps.net write OnApp? I'm really confused if that is not true.

• jhjh Member

@miTgiB said: Didn't vps.net write OnApp? I'm really confused if that is not true.

I think some of the guys at VPS.net left and wrote it - technically VPS.net is a customer of OnApp.

• Okay re-tracking this thread, use @joepie91 or start from scratch?

• TazTaz Member

Or start with boxctrl and strip it off?

• subigosubigo Member

The past few days have been busy for me. Every time I go to look at some of the projects mentioned in this thread, I have to stop and go do work. I personally want something that is PHP based and leaves all of the controlling to bash scripts. That makes creating a module system easy and other coders won't have to wade through a million files to figure out how things work. And it's such a simple system that even non-coders can figure out how it works and make changes.

• TazTaz Member

@subigo API?

• miTgiBmiTgiB Member

@subigo said: leaves all of the controlling to bash scripts.

I have a large collection of bash scripts I've written to do this or that on ovz and kvm nodes, that is just heaven.

• jhjh Member

@miTgiB said: I have a large collection of bash scripts I've written to do this or that on ovz and kvm nodes, that is just heaven.

I had a play around and I think the hard bit is getting PHP to read stdout and work out when the script has completed correctly / when not / why not.

• joepie91joepie91 Member, Patron Provider

@jhadley said: I had a play around and I think the hard bit is getting PHP to read stdout and work out when the script has completed correctly / when not / why not.

I actually wrote a small Python wrapper to work around this issue when using the PHP SSH2 library. That library does not reliably support exit codes. It simply doesn't do it.

Code:
    On the master node: http://cvm.cryto.net/trac/browser/frontend/classes/class.sshconnector.php#L102
    On the slave node: http://cvm.cryto.net/trac/browser/runhelper/runhelper

• Now we have our own applianсe WebVirtMgr that you can install on your local server virtualization. Download latest version from here