Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Online.net now charges €20 Setup Fee - Dedibox lowered price: €5.99 - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Online.net now charges €20 Setup Fee - Dedibox lowered price: €5.99

2»

Comments

• NyrNyr Community Contributor, Veteran

aFriend said: They really need to re-visit their business esp for the low end boxes. I am not sure how much setting up is needed for a Via Nano €6 system for €20. So for someone who might not have used it before, the cost to find out is €26 for the 1st month. The setup fee for the avoton is more digestable, but the kimsufi offers seem more attractive at lower setup fee.

It's about preventing turnover, mostly. This benefits loyal customers and loyal customers benefit them, so it's a win-win. No ISP wants to rent servers for a month.

Thanked by 2ATHK netomx
  • rm_rm_ IPv6 Advocate, Veteran
    edited September 2014

Nyr said: It's about preventing turnover, mostly.

In their quest for that they have just created an incentive for 100% of their current customers on the two updated lowest plans to cancel their server. And if they're cancelling and need to migrate everything to a new server anyways, they might as well consider giving OVH a chance this time.

Thanked by 1ATHK
  • They start prevent abusers by make setup fee..for legal user is no problem at all..

• JanevskiJanevski Member
    edited September 2014

@joodle Only if they provide the 6 euro per month package, otherwise not, for now. It currently says "Availability Victim of its success", so to me it means they are not offering that package anymore. I could have used another DNS slave, but now, since it's not available anymore - meh.

• Next time, flag the post. Dit it for you now

• @fitvpn said:
    They start prevent abusers by make setup fee..for legal user is no problem at all..

I don't mind the fee at all & I'd be happy to pay it and stay on the server I am on. I just mind the hassle of having to set up a duplicate server to get the new pricing deal.

• TarZZ92TarZZ92 Member
    edited September 2014

fitvpn said: for legal user is no problem at all..

that's utter nonsense. a setup fee is not necessary for a completely automated solution.

• For those who have 2 EUR offer no worries at all :)

• Hi

You only have to keep the server more than 5 months and the cost will be cheaper.

Example with SC:
    5 months with old price = 50€
    5 months with new price and setup fee = 50€ too

It's better and cheaper for all our good customers

• I think people will now choose OVH instead of online.net because their quality is not so good like OVH.OVH is much better option now.

@instatech said:
    I think people will now choose OVH instead of online.net because their quality is not so good like OVH.OVH is much better option now.

Care to elaborate on why OVH is better?

• @Nyr said:
    Care to elaborate on why OVH is better?

More powerful hardware at a lower cost.

• AmitzAmitz Member
    edited September 2014

Proof that. And leave those desktop-style hardware parts out. No apples with oranges...

I personally like the decision. It rewards long-term customers like myself and short-term customers still get good server-grade hardware at an affordable price with a real good network.

Thanked by 1netomx
  • I think online.net has made 2 intresting changes recently. New customers cant use paypal. and now setup fee's i personal am a fan that i ur customer is willing to pay up front then you remove setup fee's if a customer average server time with you over the life of account is "postive" then dont charge them setup fee. The only reason you charge someone setup fee is because u dont trust them, and do you really wanna do bussiess with someone u dont trust.

• AmitzAmitz Member
    edited September 2014

I disagree. I have some long-term customers (we are not in the IT industry) who do payments in advance. This enables us to lower the general price because we do not have to get this money from a bank with interest rates. That has nothing to do with lacking trust. It's pure mathematics.

And just to clarify: I have servers from both online.net and OVH. It's always a question of the usage scenario.

Thanked by 1linuxthefish

@Detruire said:
    More powerful hardware at a lower cost.

That hasn't anything to do with "quality".

• rm_rm_ IPv6 Advocate, Veteran
    edited September 2014

Amitz said: It rewards long-term customers like myself

If anything, this royally shafts all the long-term customers that were with Online.net up until now. "Oh you ordered this server before the change, and already have set everything up nicely? Ha-ha SUCKS TO BE YOU THEN, guess what, it's time to cancel, reorder and start over!" Either that, or start losing money after 5 months.

• @rm_ said:
    If anything, this royally shafts all the long-term customers that were with Online.net up until now. "Oh you ordered this server before the change, and already have set everything up nicely? Ha-ha SUCKS TO BE YOU THEN, guess what, it's time to cancel, reorder and start over!" Either that, or start losing money after 5 months.

I was thinking exactly this.

This rewards new customers only. I'm now either going to have to cancel my server, re-buy it with the setup fee and put everything on the new server, or keep my current one and pay a higher price.

• @Amitz said:
    I disagree. I have some long-term customers (we are not in the IT industry) who do payments in advance. This enables us to lower the general price because we do not have to get this money from a bank with interest rates. That has nothing to do with lacking trust. It's pure mathematics.

And just to clarify: I have servers from both online.net and OVH. It's always a question of the usage scenario.

There are customers that trust you and and willing to make payments a head of time that should be the reward of people having a strong business relationship knowing ur not goign to leave and you rewarding there loylty and trust in you with lower prices but still supporting people that dont you or if you will be around with simple monthly hosting. Yes people that open a server every month and cancle it should be told to pay up front or find new host but if your renting for a resonable time (6 months) enough for them to make there money back then dont charge good cusotmers that have short term projects but still stick with you long enough setup fees

Thanked by 1Amitz
  • DalCompDalComp Member
    edited September 2014

@iKeyZ said:
    This rewards new customers only.

To be precise, it benefits new orders from people who knows and comfortable with online.net services. For people who don't, it's a barrier of entry.

• @DalComp said:
    To be precise, it benefits new orders from people who knows and comfortable with online.net services. For people who don't, it's a barrier of entry.

Yes, although it still rewards them in the way that they will not be paying the same amount as current customers over a longer period of time. Whether they know that or not is irrelevant.

• I agree - it sucks that they do not automatically lower the price for existing customers. But I still think that this is a good thing for people who do not switch servers every second month.

• @Amitz said:
    I agree - it sucks that they do not automatically lower the price for existing customers. But I still think that this is a good thing for people who do not switch servers every second month.

I agree with that second part, it's just rather frustrating that I even offered to pay the set up fee of my server to compensate, but still got told that I would have to buy a new server and move everything across manually.

• AmitzAmitz Member
    edited September 2014

Well... they are french. Give them some days and they will change things again! ;-) Just like Ole@OVH. A new brainfart every day...

Thanked by 1rds100
  • @Amitz said:
    I agree - it sucks that they do not automatically lower the price for existing customers. But I still think that this is a good thing for people who do not switch servers every second month.

Well, existing customers have an agreement at the old pricing. To benefit from new pricing, they have to cancel the agreement and make a new one. It's similar to the common practice that a hosting client will pay the old lower pricing when the provider raises their prices. It works both ways for raises/lowers in pricing, can't just pick the one that's convenient for you.

The real hindrance is that existing clients must re-configure a new server and move the data themselves. If they allow clients to keep their current server, a lot more will make the switch.

Thanked by 1TekStorm_James
  • DetruireDetruire Member
    edited September 2014

@Amitz said:
    Proof that. And leave those desktop-style hardware parts out. No apples with oranges...

Performance does not depend purely on whether the hardware is marketed towards consumer or enterprise. If the nature of the hardware is all that matters, you are not going to care about OVH's Kimsufi range - and that is fine - but it does not stop the KS1 and KS2 from offering hardware better performance for your Euros.

@Nyr said:
    That hasn't anything to do with "quality".

If you are taking "quality" to simple mean whether the hardware is likely to fail or not, then sure... but that is a narrow interpretation, and it is not the only thing that I take into consideration when determining the overall quality of a service.

• @DalComp said:
    The real hindrance is that existing clients must re-configure a new server and move the data themselves. If they allow clients to keep their current server, a lot more will make the switch.

I fully understand that part with the existing contracts. But it's a monthly contract. They could easily lower the fee at next renewal as a courtesy. They are simply not willing and this is not kind of them.

• @Amitz said:
    as a courtesy

Sure, it's a courtesy, not obligatory.
    Lowering the fee for existing customer = good point.
    Not willing to do so = neutral stance, neither good or bad.

Thanked by 1Amitz
  • Dedibox XC is still good for 16 eur i think hmm...

20 eur setup fee... Think about Hetzner. 20 is okay... if you are in bussiness.

Also i think this is the only dedibox what is okay for this price. Also the others at 40eur setup fee is high. But 30 eur and you got +8GB ram.

So... good , evil.. ugly?

Who know. I only got one dedicated server with them.