Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Munin 2.0
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Munin 2.0

marrcomarrco Member
edited July 2012 in Help

Just upgraded to munin 2 apt-get -t squeeze-backports install munin configured it to use cgi http://munin-monitoring.org/wiki/CgiHowto2 and apart from the nicer looking reports, i noticed that VPS load has dropped.

Ne1 tested it?

Comments

• I will test it to one of my vps tonight :)

• OliverOliver Member, Host Rep

The load has dropped on one of the nodes or on the box that does the processing? From your post I gather the one doing the processing but just wanted to check... :-)

• marrcomarrco Member

I have one vps with munin and all other with munin-node. Load was a problem only on the main munin server, because of continuous graph generation. Now "Munin 2.0 can generate HTML and graphs dynamically. This enables munin to scale better for a master with many nodes." and CPU usage and load averages dropped. But don't trust my words, just test it.

• lbftlbft Member

Running munin HTML and graphing as FastCGI rather than pre-generating it is a big win - otherwise it's generating the full set of graphs (which can quickly add up to a large number) every 5 minutes.

On top of that, munin 2.0 is easy to set up with rrdcached too, if you want to save some I/O.

• DamianDamian Member

So do I need to upgrade all nodes to 2.0, or can I just upgrade the master system and then upgrade nodes as I get time?

• lbftlbft Member

You can just upgrade the master.

• CoreyCorey Member

Great this is good news for providers as well... lower loads for everyone!

• So what's better about munin than say Cacti or OpenNMS?

• sandozsandoz Veteran

i installed it, but got 1.4 version installed, whys that?

• AmitzAmitz Member

Any CentOS .rpm out yet?

• sandozsandoz Veteran

forgot to add the backport repo :)

i upgraded, but all my images are broken, anyway got an idea?

• marrcomarrco Member

@sandoz read the debugging part here: http://munin-monitoring.org/wiki/CgiHowto2

i had 2 problems: some log files were not munin owned so could not be overwritten, and a few plugins cause fcgi-munin-graph to die, check with
    /etc/init.d/spawn-fcgi-munin-graph status

• Can't get HTML generation part working in cgi mode :S

Graphs get generated normally with graph_strategy cgi, but HTML only gets generated when run in html_strategy cron mode.

Worse thing is I don't get any errors when trying to run in html_strategy cgi mode, so I can't find the reason HTML doesn't get generated. Logs show nothing. Grrr....

• Can install Munin on 128MB OVZ?

• kbeeziekbeezie Member
    edited November 2012

@wlsiew depending on the features you want and what other processes you have running on it... maybe not on Openvz but good chance on xen or kvm. (if munin by itself on the 128MB vps, sure).

• OliverOliver Member, Host Rep

I don't think it'd be a problem. It doesn't really use much memory it just uses the CPU each time it generates graphs.

Or are you talking about a munin-node @wlsiew?

• @Oliver I was wondering bout the same (particularly because most 128MB vpses also have scaled down CPUs accordingly).

• @Oliver said: I don't think it'd be a problem. It doesn't really use much memory it just uses the CPU each time it generates graphs.

Or are you talking about a munin-node @wlsiew?

It also uses the disk a pretty good bit :)

• Yeap, CPU & good I/O is what you need ;)

• @wlsiew said: Can install Munin on 128MB OVZ?

i run my munin (server) on a 96MB OVZ from SecureDragon, and 2.0 with on demand graphing is using very little cpu. A huge improvement from the old 1.x series. Of course the same server is one of my munin-node (runs also a small website and a few more apps) so i can share my stats. I wonder how many ppl here really tried 2.0 in cgi mode

• @marrco said: i run my munin (server) on a 96MB OVZ from SecureDragon, and 2.0 with on demand graphing is using very little cpu. A huge improvement from the old 1.x series. Of course the same server is one of my munin-node (runs also a small website and a few more apps) so i can share my stats. I wonder how many ppl here really tried 2.0 in cgi mode

Would love to see it :)

• marrcomarrco Member
    edited November 2012

@djvdorp said: Would love to see it :)

http://i.imgur.com/8UInG.png

http://i.imgur.com/3bYhW.png

In June i upgraded to munin 2.0 you see the huge step in the logs, and in November @KuJoe migrated my vps to a different node (with Centos 6) and everything is even faster. And that's just a small 96MB OVZ vps i use for many different tasks, with Munin receiving and processing data from more than 10 different nodes.

now i'm curious to see other ppl logs, because my guess is that none here really tried 2.0 in cgi mode with graphing and html generation on demand.

• @marrco said: my guess is that none here really tried 2.0 in cgi mode with graphing and html generation on demand.

I got cgi mode with graphing working, but I'm still struggling to get html generation to work with cgi...

Did you use a precompiled version of Munin 2 (what OS?) or did you compile the latest version yourself?

• @George_Fusioned said: Did you use a precompiled version of Munin 2 (what OS?) or did you compile the latest version yourself?

Debian, as I wrote in the first message installed from backports