Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

High storage + BW VPS for mirror
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

High storage + BW VPS for mirror

HerrMaulwurfHerrMaulwurf Member
edited July 2012 in General

Hi folks,

I am currently searching a provider for a friend of mine.

He wants to launch a mirror of the Raspbian repository. Raspbian is a recompiled edition of Debian Sid to make it compatible with the armv6 architecture + armhf for the Raspberry Pi. It's a quite nice project because it increases the performance of the Raspberry Pi compared to the official armel based Debian image the Raspberry Pi Foundation creates.

We need the following specs:
Bandwidth: About 1TB(*)
Connection: 100MBit/s
HDD: 120GB
CPU + RAM: Not important

(*)
It is quite difficult to estimate how much traffic we need. There are only a few mirrors of the Raspbian repository available, but the update frequency is not very high. I think we can start with 500GB and slighly increase the traffic limit to up to 1TB in case the mirror is used more frequently than expected.

Can anyone make a good offer? The only application running on the VPS will be a nginx webserver for serving the files via HTTP and a cronjob + rsync for pulling the repository down to the mirror.

Disclaimer: I am neither affiliated with the Raspberry Pi Foundation nor the official Raspbian dev team.

Comments

• JacobJacob Member
    edited July 2012

Our $7.00 offer should suit you fine, You can double/triple the plan, 2 x resources = $14 month which would fit your plan specs along with 2TB BW in the UK.

(Self Promotion isn't my thing but I thought I might aswell take a try).

• netomxnetomx Moderator, Veteran

120gb? Why you need that?

• Raspbian repo needs 80gb at the moment, including images and future growth they recommend more. But 120 is absolutely the limit.

• netomxnetomx Moderator, Veteran

Wow. I thought it was like 2gb

• joepie91joepie91 Member, Patron Provider

@netomx said: Wow. I thought it was like 2gb

We're talking about a full-fledged repository here. Not just an OS download :)

• flyfly Member

@netomx said: Wow. I thought it was like 2gb

your brain is like 2GB

• PM Sent :)