Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Cent OS RAID1
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Cent OS RAID1

I have dedicated SolusVM slave server with KVM virtualization. When i order the server i got two 500 GB disk's configured to RAID1 array. as per SolusVM documantation DC guy's setup 40GB for / because i only use Windows template only and they leave rest of space to volume group. now my volume group has no more free space. if i order another 1 or 2 disk's can i add them to existing RAID1 and volume group ?

Comments

• rskrsk Member, Patron Provider

Adding more HDDs to RAID 1 will put them as spare HDDs.

How about getting another node .. set it up with 4x HDDs and RAID 10? Gives the boost and the security .. and happy clients :-)

Thanked by 1HaroldM
  • GreenHostBoxGreenHostBox Member
    edited September 2014

You could set up a RAID-1 with two drives, and back them up to a third drive which could be used as an external drive. Or you can just add two new drives and continue to use RAID-1 or use RAID-10 (recommended).

Thanked by 1HaroldM
  • @GreenHostBox said:
    You can only have a maximum of two disks for RAID-1.

I think you meant minimum? You can also do RAID 1 with 4 drives.

Thanked by 1HaroldM
  • @aus said:

Ah yes, my mistake. I edited my post.

• rsk said: Adding more HDDs to RAID 1 will put them as spare HDDs.

I think @HaroldM meant to create a new raid1 with 2hdd and then add the new partition to the lvm, which is doable

Thanked by 1HaroldM
  • rskrsk Member, Patron Provider

camarg said: I think @HaroldM meant to create a new raid1 with 2hdd and then add the new partition to the lvm, which is doable

Yes, that is possible too, but I am sure if you were to recommend something (for potential client use) you'd give them RAID10 over RAID 1 any day.

Thanked by 1HaroldM
  • GreenHostBox said: You could set up a RAID-1 with two drives, and back them up to a third drive which could be used as an external drive. Or you can just add two new drives and continue to use RAID-1 or use RAID-10 (recommended).

is there any way to convert my existing RAID1 to RAID10 by adding another 2 Disks ?

• rsk said: Yes, that is possible too, but I am sure if you were to recommend something (for potential client use) you'd give them RAID10 over RAID 1 any day.

wow. i just wait for this answer. thank you very much. now i know it's possible :) need to hire sysmin now