Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Is there any free panel for shared hosting? - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Is there any free panel for shared hosting?

Comments

• @Jar I like hosting, I like writing (besides this is my job!). So, there is no more to say, I already started writing it! Though, it will be just my personal opinion and experience, even if it will be a detailed one.

Thanked by 3jar robohost Dylan
  • ISP config is nice if you google ISP config and the perfect server there are some fantastic guides out there for different options and configs

• I wont use kloxo or zpanel(even sentora).. I tried VestaCP and love it's simplicity..
    I would like to try webuzo too because it is easy to install many scripts.. for other suggestion, Im gonna try it too and find which is the best for my need.. thank you to all of you for these suggestion

• +1 VestaCP. I agree its simple and easy to use. I didnt try webuzo before but i think i would give it a try as well. Do you think that any of those can compete with cPanel for paid shared hosting packages, will it worth trying to provide something different in the industry!

• linuxthefishlinuxthefish Member
    edited September 2014

VestaCP or KloxoMR, I still have a Kloxo server with a few reseller accounts on it and fingers crossed I've had no issues so far...

KloxoMR is still quite buggy now with the new UI change, It's stuck on "selecting PHP type".

• @WebDevNow said:
    +1 VestaCP. I agree its simple and easy to use. I didnt try webuzo before but i think i would give it a try as well. Do you think that any of those can compete with cPanel for paid shared hosting packages, will it worth trying to provide something different in the industry!

nothing can beat cpanel unless you are searching for something free..

@linuxthefish said:
    VestaCP or KloxoMR, I still have a Kloxo server with a few reseller accounts on it and fingers crossed I've had no issues so far...

KloxoMR is still quite buggy now with the new UI change, It's stuck on "selecting PHP type".

well, I didnt like kloxo... its design quite ugly...

• VestaCP certainly seems to be gaining popularity lately. I will need to try it out for myself one day.

• Virtualmin/webmin

• Personally I really like the simplicity of VestaCP UI, it's API offers a lot of possibilities as well

• Among the free panels, I now use ISPConfig, VestaCP and Webmin/Virtualmin, for different requirement set. Have tried Kloxo and ZPanel earlier, but the servers got compromised multiple times.

ISPConfig does its job as advertised for shared hosting, but looks confusing, both for admin and end user, if you have been using cPanel/WHM. To host a single website with mail, you will need to provide info thrice, first for adding domain, then DNS and then for mail(With cPanel adding a new addon domain takes care of all of this). It provides isolation for sites within an account, which I feel great and also have ability to allocate bandwidth per site. Few major features it lacks include the ability to migrate sites and to limit mails sent per user. Even migrating the entire setup to a new server with a new IP was painful. Has ran into issues when sites gets compromised and queues up lots of spam mail and there is no inbuilt feature to prevent that.

VestaCP is much simpler to use, with better UI and graphs, even though it follows the same workflow of ISPConfig to setup a website with mail. It can be useful for personal site management, but for a shared hosting perspective, especially for newbies, its a bit complex. The default feature to use nginx for caching along with apache can speed up sites significantly without much of tweaking. VestaCP only has a subset of ISPConfig's features, but the UI makes it more user friendly.

With Webmin/Virtualmin, you can do whatever you want. Seems like they have plugins for each and every thing. Not recommended for a new user as the chance to mess up with the configurations are high. It even allows you to edit config files directly through the web interface. Even after using it for 4 years, I still gets confused where a particular setting is.

Thanked by 1geekalot
  • I have been playing with CentOS WebPanel and it seems nice.

On OpenVZ with one standard wordpress that has been running for two days its using
    0.82 MB of 1 GB and 0 Swap and 2.16 GB of Disk,

On the same machine Vesta was using
    287.39 MB of 1 GB and 30.51 MB of the 1 GB of Swap but only 1.21 GB Disk
    (I'm probably the only traffic)

Has anyone any experience with it or am I wasting my time :)

I normally use Webmin/Virtualmin but would not let a client near it.

• +1 webmin / virtualmin

• RolterRolter Member
    edited October 2014

Here is how to install virtualmin -- http://www.virtualmin.com/documentation/installation/automated#comment-92817

Been using it for a couple of years, it is as boring and powerful as linux (when it comes to control of the functionality ofc)

• Vestacp is great

• LeeLee Veteran

My vote goes to VestaCP, love it.

• @W1V_Lee said:
    My vote goes to VestaCP, love it.

I love it ,too
    But when someone attack the server,vestacp cannot stop the attack.(I don't know how to solve it.if you know please tell me thanks!)

• LeeLee Veteran
    edited October 2014

@youjingsenlin - What do you mean by an attack?

• @W1V_Lee said:

Like CC,etc,etc

• LeeLee Veteran

You need to understand the stage VestaCP is at, it offers little security for your VPS/Server you need to set all that up yourself.

• Using Vestacp for my WHMCS on a small dedicated box, works great

• I'm a stupid and lazy guy, so I'm still using Kloxo 6.1.19 to manage 3 VPS for NS & mail, 4 VPS for MySql & webservers. Of course this is only for personal use, and no important thing in my VPSes. :P

What I like from this crappy software is I can move a domain or a whole reseller account containing several domains from one VPS to another VPS easily by changing the DNS Template and point it to the designated VPS.

So for example, I can easily move a reseller account from VPS1 that has a setting of 64bit Centos+Apache+varnish to VPS2 that has a setting of 32bit Centos+Apache+nginx easily.

The most important thing is that it is free :P

• @nexmark said:
    Using Vestacp for my WHMCS on a small dedicated box, works great

Personally i would not host anything critical on a control panel that is fairly new and hasn't been scrutinized so much.

• LeeLee Veteran

@nexmark said:
    Using Vestacp for my WHMCS on a small dedicated box, works great

That seems unwise. It's overkill to install a panel when all you use it for is WHMCS. For a start it provides much more opportunity to be exploited. Aside from that VestaCP needs as much work to lock the box down as it does without the panel.

• W1V_Lee said: Aside from that VestaCP needs as much work to lock the box down as it does without the panel.

I also use VestaCP, same as Kloxo or ispconfig3 we have to lock the box properly.

Thanked by 1Lee
  • @linuxthefish said:

Are test on latest update?.

Thanked by 1linuxglobe
  • @W1V_Lee said:
    That seems unwise. It's overkill to install a panel when all you use it for is WHMCS. For a start it provides much more opportunity to be exploited. Aside from that VestaCP needs as much work to lock the box down as it does without the panel.

The box is locked down, and I did some additional security steps, 2 Factor auth etc.

• Anyone have tried Froxlor?

• zPanel has always worked well for me before I purchased cPanel.

• last_wizard4 said: Anyone have tried Froxlor?

Yep, V 0.9.32.

• Froxlor is doing best except that you can't add ns records, txt or what ever dns entries.