Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

IPv6 Subnetsize /64, /96, /112 - WTF?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

IPv6 Subnetsize /64, /96, /112 - WTF?

m4d0k4m4d0k4 Member
edited July 2012 in General

I know, my english isn't that good, but I hope you understand me.

Why assign different providers different IPv6 subnet sizes to customers?

edis.at = /112 (is it possible to get one /64 and use this for all servers @ edis?)
de-punkt.de = /96 (is it possible to get one /64 and use this for all servers @ de-punkt?)
hetzner.de = /64 (subnet is bounded to the MAC-Addr from the dedicated server :( ... problems with virtualization)

I think it would be better if all providers assign a /64 or a /48 Subnet to each customer. Or not?

IPv6 is mysterious for me -_-

Comments

• gbshousegbshouse Member, Host Rep

IPv6 subnet reference - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IPv6_subnetting_reference
    If you want to learn more about IPv6 try HE.NET free certification http://ipv6.he.net

• WilliamWilliam Member
    edited July 2012

@m4d0k4 said: edis.at = /112 (is it possible to get one /64 and use this for all servers @ edis?)

no, the /112 implementation has been specifically choosen since it has zero overhead and we do not run our own routers at all locations, and when i am asking our ISPs to set 65000 gateways for v6 networks they are going to stab me.

@m4d0k4 said: de-punkt.de = /96 (is it possible to get one /64 and use this for all servers @ de-punkt?)

No, Sven has also specific reasons why they only give a /96.

@m4d0k4 said: I think it would be better if all providers assign a /64 or a /48 Subnet to each customer. Or not?

No, for various reasons - before all of them: routing.

Thanked by 1klikli
  • yomeroyomero Member

@m4d0k4 said: I think it would be better if all providers assign a /64 or a /48 Subnet to each customer. Or not?

The question is... why do you need 2^(128-48) addresses when you have been using just one ipv4. Useless.

Thanked by 2klikli Mon5t3r
  • m4d0k4m4d0k4 Member

@yomero one subnet per user i mean

• MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran

If you have more locations will be a nightmare to setup. Since most providers are not in control of allocation it means they have to talk to their DC and those ppl will simply laugh in the best case scenario.
    Bottom of line, they depend on DC and they offer the setup that the DC can support and is best suited for their needs (i.e. it depends on location, not provider and certainly not customer).
    M

• yomeroyomero Member

@m4d0k4 said: @yomero one subnet per user i mean

Yes, a /64 subnet is 2^64 addresses and /48 is 2^80. Why? IMHO is ridiculous.

Thanked by 1Mon5t3r
  • @yomero said: Yes, a /64 subnet is 2^64 addresses and /48 is 2^80. Why? IMHO is ridiculous.

maybe he need to test the ip_conntrack or something else.. :P

• m4d0k4m4d0k4 Member

@yomero,

an example:
    I have 10 virtual servers on a specific provider. Why give me the provider for EACH server an (/112, /96, /64) subnet and not one (/112, /96, /64) subnet for all virtual servers? i think this is more ridiculous.

I don't need a full /64, /96, /112 Subnet for one server with only one interface.

Thanked by 1yomero
  • WilliamWilliam Member
    edited July 2012

@m4d0k4 said: I have 10 virtual servers on a specific provider. Why give me the provider for EACH server an (/112, /96, /64) subnet and not one (/112, /96, /64) subnet for all virtual servers?

Because this requires a VLAN for you, this requires all servers in this VLAN, this requires a database to store customer<->vlan association, a mac database and so on and on...
    A /112 per server requires nothing, and we do not need to modify anything on the router - as i said above:

@William said: and when i am asking our ISPs to set 65000 gateways for v6 networks they are going to stab me.

Thanked by 1m4d0k4
  • m4d0k4m4d0k4 Member

@William, thanks :)

/me request close

This discussion has been closed.