Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Any web designers here? - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Any web designers here?

Comments

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran

I always recommend the guys that did our site, Exit3. Aaron is seriously talented.

• jhjh Member
    edited July 2012

@jarland said: I always recommend the guys that did our site, Exit3. Aaron is seriously talented.

Yeah they look good, the only trouble though is where this is a new.. well not even a venture, just an idea.. I don't really want to throw lots of money at it. I just need something simple to see if it's a good idea or a bad idea :)

• @jarland said: I always recommend the guys that did our site, Exit3. Aaron is seriously talented.

Exit 3 have done a lot of work for us. Would recommend

Thanked by 1jar
  • @jhadley

Have you even though of a name for this idea?

• jhjh Member

@DanielM said: Have you even though of a name for this idea?

I bought l2tpvpn.co.uk but another member here just PM'd me with a domain name he has for sale which I want to try and get if I can as it's more brandable.

• @jhadley said: I bought l2tpvpn.co.uk but another member

Not too bad then. shame all the decent ones have been bought :(

edited July 2012

It's funny how many times a day I open a thread and say to myself "oh look, DanielM hates America" ...regardless or the actual topic.

What happens when you break a record?

• @jarland said: It's funny how many times a day I open a thread and say to myself "oh look, DanielM hates America" ...regardless or the actual topic.

What happens when you break a record?

And how many times do i have to say i hate the american regime. not the american people.

• AndriAndri Member

@jhadley Can I try for your logo only? PM me your company name? Thanks. :)

@DanielM As many times as it takes for you to believe it ;)

• @jarland said: @DanielM As many times as it takes for you to believe it ;)

I dont hate you.... isnt that saying something?

@DanielM I voted for Bush. Now you do ;)

• DanielMDanielM Member
    edited July 2012

@jarland said: @DanielM I voted for Bush. Now you do ;)

hahaha now he's an international war criminal :) (Aswell as blair) and i didnt vote for blair. i have never voted labour in my life.

• jhjh Member

Ok I have someone doing the web design. Thanks to all.

• jhjh Member
    edited July 2012

John from itsjtam.com. He's doing it for dirt cheap I think as his style's really nice.

• PADPAD Member

Lol. Done a bit of business with John, he's very very good at selling himself pretty much everywhere, his work is all over, very good designer and very competitive too!

Thanked by 1jh
  • Wolf95Wolf95 Member

I'm good at designing UI's but not websites.

• @Errantweb is a designer...
    @MrLadoodle is a coder... I SEE A FUTURE!

ThreadDerail?

• @eastonch chill out and drink some beer to calm you down :P

• MrAndroidMrAndroid Member
    edited July 2012

I signed up to Freelancer and have $50 of credit, but as soon as I tried to withdraw it they suspended my account.

I can't even dispute the suspension, since they ban you from the dispute suspension system too!

• jhjh Member

http://vpn.sh

What do you guys think? @ElliotJ sold me the domain and @Andri made the logo for me. I did the simple web design myself :)

James

• TaylorTaylor Member

@jhadley said: What do you guys think?

Expensive O_O, but nice simple design, did the other guy bail?

• jhjh Member

@Taylor said: Expensive O_O, but nice simple design, did the other guy bail?

Nah, decided to save the money with the designer. @Andri did a great job with the logo and I think looks ok without anything else on there.

You really think £3.75 is expensive?

• Design? Which design? All i see is a black text on a white background :P

• dide. teh domain is amazin hahahaha

Thanked by 1jh
  • joepie91joepie91 Member, Patron Provider

@jhadley said: http://vpn.sh

What do you guys think? @ElliotJ sold me the domain and @Andri made the logo for me. I did the simple web design myself :)

James

It looks nice, but I'd recommend not having a hover effect for the entire row. Typically a hover effect indicates that something is 'clickable', but in this case it isn't clickable at all - which may (and probably will) confuse people.

• joepie91: I respectfully disagree but I do see your reasoning :P

Personally I like it like that (and once you get more plans set up your hover effect would help out more).

• joepie91joepie91 Member, Patron Provider
    edited July 2012

@HalfEatenPie said: joepie91: I respectfully disagree but I do see your reasoning :P

Personally I like it like that (and once you get more plans set up your hover effect would help out more).

If you want the rows to be distinguished, then at least make all rows clickable. Should be easily doable in javascript/jQuery by doing this:

HTML:

<tr class="clickable" data-url="/whatever/page/you/want/to/go/to.html"> ... blah ... </tr>

Javascript:

$('.clickable').click(function(event){
            if($(this).data('url'))
            {
                url = $(this).data('url');

if(event.which == 1)
                {
                    window.location = url;
                }
                else if(event.which == 2)
                {
                    window.open(url);
                }
            }
        });

CSS:

.clickable { cursor: pointer; }

Note: the above should honor user clicking behaviour in most browsers. Middle-click should open the URL in a new tab/window in the background (as a normal link would do), and left-click will open the link in the current tab/window, as a normal link would do. If you keep the original buttons intact, this will degrade fairly well for users without Javascript; they will see the hover effect, but simply won't be able to navigate by clicking the row. They can still use the button.

EDIT: Before someone, as usually happens when these kinds of suggestions are made, says "just add an <a> element around the row and you won't need javascript" - no, that is not possible without breaking your document. Similarly, turning the data in every cell into a hyperlink doesn't work very well either, if at all (it especially breaks with multiline stuff). As far as I know, the above is pretty much your only option.

Thanked by 1Liam
  • Site doesn't look so bad - but you should run page speed over it :)

• jhjh Member

@inverse said: Site doesn't look so bad - but you should run page speed over it :)

Google's mod_pagespeed breaks my tracking software unfortunately :(