Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Anywhere I can colo 1U for $20-30? - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Anywhere I can colo 1U for $20-30?

Comments

• geekalotgeekalot Member
    edited September 2014

@Incero said:
    $20-$30 should get you a colo spot at server tent
    @Incero said:

@Incero, @Corey: Cute ................. funny.

It never ceases to amaze me when people ask these questions, how the provider old boy network chimes in to diss.

I realize that you may be a proprietor of a well known provider; I'll still give you some advice: focus on possibilities not impossibilities

While people have mocked my requests similar to this, I have quietly found or negotiated at least three $30 - $40 (2A @ 120v) colos. So it IS possible.

Not everyone is trying to be a VPS provider/spammer/scammer/bitminer, AND IMHO 10 cheap colos (properly geolocated, synced & balanced, with half decent reliability) >>>>>>>>>>> 2 of the best overpriced colos anywhere (and cheaper too).

Hell, one of my $30/mo colos has had no outage in over one year; not even 5 minutes. (I will not post the provider as they will get DDoSed to sh*t "penetration tested" once I name them on LET, lol).

EDIT: As they used to say back in the day "put up or shut up" -- I challenge you and any other provider to offer a "lowendcolo" special (limited bandwidth, 100Mbit port, whatever makes you happy, but with IPMI/IPKVM & 2A power :-) .... and count your $$$ ..... until then, kick rocks and troll elsewhere

Cheers

/rant

• dnwkdnwk Member
    edited September 2014

If they can rent a dedicated server for that price, why not colo? At least, they don't have to pay for the hardware. For renting a dedicated server, the cost of having the device on the shelf is the same.

This is what confuse me. You can find dedicated servers in that price range much easier than colo.

• I have to agree that at this price it barely cover their cost. I did the calculation. I would spend similar money each month, if I setup the server in my basement.

• dnwk said: I have to agree that at this price it barely cover their cost. I did the calculation. I would spend similar money each month, if I setup the server in my basement.

With no redundancy or cooling :)

edited September 2014

@MarkTurner said:
    Don't forget to find out upfront:

1. What are the remote hands costs for business hours/out of business hours

2. Whether power cycles are included or whether a PDU with remote power cycling is included. If they are done manually what is the cost and how quickly can they be done both in and out of business hours.

3. What is the cost of a KVM and how quickly it can be provisioned. Unless you have one built into the server then that will require a second network port, what is the cost?

4. What is the minimum commitment period

5. What is the exit cost ie to unrack, box-up and facilitate collection of the box using a prepaid shipping label.

Added later on:

1. How do they measure the power, if its 1A then is it 1A at 110v or 1A at 208v? Is power measured at peak load or sustained? (I've seen providers try to bill for 5A because the server has a 5A inrush)

^This. Spot on. In addition:

• How is the bandwidth billed? If it is 95th percentile, you better stay on top of your bandwidth consumption using tools/graphs THEY provide (as it may not match up with your measurement). And, you should know the cost of overage.

I could go on and on, but you get the picture.

• @geekalot - Absolutely right and also how long is that price guaranteed for. Many will offer the silly $1/Mbps pricing then jack it after a few months. It will be disclosed upfront but most people don't read the small print.

Renewal is one that often bites - 90 days notice for termination of contract, but the colo operator has 30 days notice of rate increases. So you pass the 90 day point before the termination of the contract, implying that you wish to renew the contract and then at 31 days before contract renewal they jack their prices.

Another thing thats often worth asking is whether the person renting the space is the actual master lease holder on the suite. There have been many occasions where someone has coloed with a guy who rents a rack or a cage from the master lease holder who then defaults and loses his kit/gets caught in the middle of the master lease holder/license holder litigation; or you find that the person renting the space out is actually a sub-tenant who is a tenant of the master lease holder.

Other gotchas

• how long is the lease that the master lease holder remains on the space. I have been in situations where we have had lease space from a third party (111 8th Avenue) and then found the master lease holder's tenancy ended due to end of contract and the landlord refusing to negotiate a new lease. We found out 30 days before the end of their contract but we still had 18 months left on our contract with the master lease holder.

• What is your tax liability for equipment colocated in the space. Some states/cities/counties will tax on colo'ed equipment. You may not get caught but if you do, you quickly find your kit slapped with a lien from the tax office and you know how that goes

• Power rates what is the guaranteed rate. You can suddenly find yourself with prices ramping sharply because the power company has just jacked up their rates, or in the case of one building I can think of in Seattle the building operator jacked their electricity rates. In that instance our electricity bill went from $18k a month to $29k, if you don't have price lock-in with the colo provider that will be passed on to the colo customers.

• @MarkTurner said:
    geekalot - Absolutely right ...

@MarkTurner, those are more good tips as well.

• @Incero said:
    $20-$30 should get you a colo spot at server tent

At least they put up a tarp! I had a rack with CI Host (I'm so embarrassed - I must've been drunk) and went to visit one day because two servers stopped talking. People had done work on the sprinkler system, didn't tell anyone, leaked water all over my servers, and didn't want to accept responsibility!

I should've run, not walked, when I moved in and saw a number of ports were blocked. When I requested that they all be unblocked, I was told they can't because I'll get "hacked", and that I need to specify which ports I wanted opened. I sent a list of all 65,536. Idiots.

• johnklos said: At least they put up a tarp! I had a rack with CI Host (I'm so embarrassed - I must've been drunk) and went to visit one day because two servers stopped talking. People had done work on the sprinkler system, didn't tell anyone, leaked water all over my servers, and didn't want to accept responsibility!

I should've run, not walked, when I moved in and saw a number of ports were blocked. When I requested that they all be unblocked, I was told they can't because I'll get "hacked", and that I need to specify which ports I wanted opened. I sent a list of all 65,536. Idiots.

Jesus christ dude, I would have brought them to court.

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

GoodHosting said: That's very old. Also, if you read the thread, the customer was in the wrong (and never bothered updating any tickets with any of their providers, let alone VolumeDrive.) Read through the second page where other providers start speaking up as well.

It might be but no one can seriously recommend VolumeDrive.

• @raindog308 said:
    It might be but no one can seriously recommend VolumeDrive.

I agree. I am not going to entertain it.

• BrianHarrisonBrianHarrison Member, Patron Provider

I believe Stealthy Hosting occasionally runs $29.99 colo specials. Stealthy enjoys an excellent reputation and the facility they host in is top notch.

Thanked by 1geekalot
  • @BrianHarrison said:
    I believe Stealthy Hosting occasionally runs $29.99 colo specials. Stealthy enjoys an excellent reputation and the facility they host in is top notch.

I had seen their ad on WHT but currently it is $70 USD for 1U (1A @ 110v); maybe Black Friday :)

• concerto49concerto49 Member
    edited September 2014

We can do this in Coresite Los Angeles, limited special:

1U (+$5 for 2U)
    1A @ 110V (+$15 for extra 1A)
    10TB @ 100mbit (+$5 for 1gbit)
    (+$2 for IPMI port)
    $49/month ($45/month if paid quarterly)
    https://www.cloudshards.com/contact.php

Remote hands is $100/hour billed per 30 mins

• lowendcolo.com is still for sale!

Thanked by 1concerto49
  • trewqtrewq Administrator, Patron Provider

@serverian said:
    lowendcolo.com is still for sale!

Still can't get rid of it? ;)

• concerto49 said: Remote hands is $100/hour billed per 30 mins

is that the most expensive remote hands there is? It is like saying don't bother your company. are you even earning $100/hr?

edited September 2014

vampireJ said: is that the most expensive remote hands there is? It is like saying don't bother your company. are you even earning $100/hr?

I hope you're not serious.

Equinix charges 200-300/hour depending on location
    Internap charges 150-300/hour depending on deals too
    Colocrossing charges ~130/hour?
    Black Lotus charges ~140/hour?
    Viawest charges 150/hour
    Coresite charges 150/hour business hours and 250/hour outside of business hours

Just some examples.

• @vampireJ said:
    is that the most expensive remote hands there is? It is like saying don't bother your company. are you even earning $100/hr?

Where do you have it cheaper? I only know one DC that has lower hourly smart hands fee.

Thanked by 1raindog308
  • Dacentec has some pretty cheap remote hands.

• $100/hour for tier 1 provider or the datacentre owner/operator then its cheap, for a reseller its expensive. It also comes down to how long it takes them to react. Most of the rackspace resellers will have a man on call, who they'll page and then he'll go over there. If you deal direct with the building management then you'll have someone attending the issue in minutes.

In LA there are plenty of people renting racks of Coresite, you'll find rackspace from $20/U to $100/U and remote hands from 1 hour included per month and $50/hour to $350/hour.

I think Corporate Colo/US Colo have some cheap deals there. You need to shop around.

Thanked by 2geekalot aglodek
  • @concerto49 said:
    We can do this in Coresite Los Angeles, limited special:

1U (+$5 for 2U)
    1A @ 110V (+$15 for extra 1A)
    10TB @ 100mbit (+$5 for 1gbit)
    (+$2 for IPMI port)
    $49/month ($45/month if paid quarterly)
    https://www.cloudshards.com/contact.php

Remote hands is $100/hour billed per 30 mins

@concerto49: I applaud you for stepping up with an offer (and not mocking the whole idea outright). I am almost tempted (really) :)

Cheers

• @MarkTurner said:
    $100/hour for tier 1 provider or the datacentre owner/operator then its cheap, for a reseller its expensive. It also comes down to how long it takes them to react. Most of the rackspace resellers will have a man on call, who they'll page and then he'll go over there. If you deal direct with the building management then you'll have someone attending the issue in minutes.

In LA there are plenty of people renting racks of Coresite, you'll find rackspace from $20/U to $100/U and remote hands from 1 hour included per month and $50/hour to $350/hour.

I think Corporate Colo/US Colo have some cheap deals there. You need to shop around.

^ This. If @concerto49 's offer included even 1hr of remote hands/eyes and just a little better break on the 2nd 1A, I would sign up ............ today (even paying quarterly)*.

*(Assuming answers to some basic questions were mutually agreeable)

For example: 1U, 2A, 1hr included remote eyes/hands, 10TB, IPMI for $55 USD/mo. I'd also (after approx 90 days of decent service) push everyone I can influence to grab the offer as well.

I would really like to pull the trigger on a budget LA colo, asap.

• @geekalot - is it LA colo you want or US colo?

• @BrianHarrison said:

Regular price is $39.99.

• @MarkTurner said:
    geekalot - is it LA colo you want or US colo?

geekalot said he want something in west coast

• geekalot said: ^ This. If @concerto49 's offer included even 1hr of remote hands/eyes and just a little better break on the 2nd 1A, I would sign up ............ today (even paying quarterly)*.

Wouldn't be very feasable though, 1 hour of rhands has costs ;)

edited September 2014

geekalot said: @concerto49: I applaud you for stepping up with an offer (and not mocking the whole idea outright). I am almost tempted (really) :)

Never did. Was always going to make an offer.

geekalot said: ^ This. If @concerto49 's offer included even 1hr of remote hands/eyes and just a little better break on the 2nd 1A, I would sign up ............ today (even paying quarterly)*.

We've already reduced the offer quite a bit. I could do the 2nd 1A for $13 instead of $15 but that's about it. Most the items I've listed are heavily discounted.

This is One Wilshire Coresite Los Angeles. I mean you want a budget working service, right? It gets to a point where if the margins are so low it won't work.

Thanked by 1geekalot
    edited September 2014

@MarkTurner said:
    geekalot - is it LA colo you want or US colo?

@MarkTurner, I actually brought this up in a colo request thread previously, here.

West coast budget colo. But I would like to be able to visit/tour/access the facility and my equipment when necessary (and I believe that ruled out Delimiter/Yomura).

Other than that, (I believe) I am pretty low maintenance -- few tickets and no problems with my other colo's. And, I usually stay with my vendors for a LONG time.

If anyone senses "desperation" in my voice .... you are hearing me wrong. I can sit and wait since I already have a few colo's in the US now. I would just like a budget west coast colo for my "lowendcolo" requirements.

• @geekalot said:
    If anyone senses "desperation" in my voice .... you are hearing me wrong. I can sit and wait since I already have a few colo's in the US now. I would just like a budget west coast colo for my "lowendcolo" requirements.

Looks like @concerto49 's offer met your requirement in the other thread.