Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Can anyone beat Online.net's Dedibox XC
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Can anyone beat Online.net's Dedibox XC

Hi guys!

I'm looking for a dedicated server on the cheaper side of things. What really caught my eye was the Dedibox XC from Online.net (http://www.online.net/en/dedicated-server/dedibox-xc).

These are the specs:

• Intel® C2750 (CPUB: 3767)
  • 8GB DDR3 ECC Ram
  • "1TB Sata3" HDD
  • 1Gbps port (150Mbps guaranteed)
  • Unmetered traffic
  • 1xipv4 (with up to 5 more available to buy)
  • /48 ipv6
  • Rudimentary DDoS protection (apparently, I'm not convinced tbh)
  • 100GB FTP Backup
  • EU LOCATION

Yeah..

So essentially why I'm writing this here is there's some things I'm willing to compromise on with these specs, but also some things which ideally I would like to "upgrade" slightly.

Let's start with what's non-negotiable, i.e. what I am not willing to budge on:

• At least 8GB ram
  • At least 1TB HDD
  • 1Gbps port (I'd also ideally like at least 150Mbps of this to be guaranteed)
  • The IPv4 addresses - I'm going to need at least 4, possibly 5, we'll see. Options for buying more later on are good.
  • EU LOCATION - this is VERY important to me as I and my clients are based in the UK.

Next, let's see what I'd like to do a bit better with:

• The CPU. Ideally I'd like something at least > 7000 marks, but this is obviously negotiable.
  • Raid HDDs. I get that this is difficult at this price point (more on this later) and fully understand if it's not possible, but hey, let's throw it out there in case.

Here's what I'm willing to do away with if necessary:

• ECC ram. Obviously this is desirable, but if it adds too much to the cost (I have no idea whether it does btw) it can go.
  • Unmetered traffic. Yeah, nothing's really unmetered, we all know that, and I'm not exactly going to be using Petabytes of data. High allowances are nice though :-)
  • DDoS protection - I suspect Online.net's "DDoS Protection" consists of nullrouting attacked IPs - who knows. I can do away with this if need be.
  • The FTP backup. Again, this is nice, but I've got alternative solutions for that.
  • IPv6. I don't use this right now (yes, I'm aware I may have to in the future).

Great! Talk to me guys. The online.net server is going to cost roughly £25 per month - cheap for what they offer. If any of you can best that, let me know. I am perfectly happy to go for this if no one can though.

Oh, one more thing: it's gonna be roughly a month before I actually start paying for this server - I have some other issues to sort out first, so you've gotta be cool with offering me something now and only actually starting in roughly a month.

If you read this far, then thank you! Have a great day.

TL;DR: chaep servr pl0x wth free ferari can paye $1 a mnth

Toodle-Pip!

Comments

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran

Recently went on this hunt, would like to weigh in with a "No" as I do not believe that anyone can. Online.net provides excellent, friendly support and has pricing that I have simply not been able to match elsewhere for the hardware. You can get less for the same or less for less, but I've found nothing comparable to this in terms of hardware and network for anything less than $50 USD.

• hostnoobhostnoob Member
    edited September 2014

Kimsufi KS-4?

I think someone said OVH are upgrading Kimsufi boxes to 1gbit soon?

P.S. if you go with Online you'll be charged in Euros so your bank might charge a foreign currency fee

• edanedan Member
    edited September 2014

I think http://www.soyoustart.com/ie/offers/e3-sat-1.xml only this that can match it. This comes with 16 free IPs (just setup fees). 2x2 TB Enterprise SATA (RAID 1). 16 GB RAM. 250mbps. 100GB FTP backup.

http://www.cpubenchmark.net/cpu.php?cpu=Intel+Atom+C2750+@+2.40GHz

http://www.cpubenchmark.net/cpu.php?cpu=Intel+Xeon+E3-1225+V2+@+3.20GHz

Even though less core but the E3 is much better. Personally I use SSD-4 for one of my personal site.

• J1021J1021 Member
    edited September 2014

hostnoob said: I think someone said OVH are upgrading Kimsufi boxes to 1gbit soon?

1Gb/s inbound only I think.

@Laeg - Here is a ServerBear benchmark I took recently on a Dedibox XC.

I've only been using Online.net for a few weeks but they've been decent in that time. Keep in mind an additional 4 IPs (5 total) is going to cost you ~$8EUR/m.

Thanked by 1hostnoob
  • Are you sure you can actually buy additional IPs without paying an additional 20€/mth for "Business service level"?

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran

@Detruire said:
    Are you sure you can actually buy additional IPs without paying an additional 20€/mth for "Business service level"?

Failover IPs. They work.

• J1021J1021 Member
    edited September 2014

Detruire said: Are you sure you can actually buy additional IPs without paying an additional 20€/mth for "Business service level"?

Yes, you can purchase up to an additional 5 IPv4 addresses at 1.99EUR/m each on the basic service level.

• the i7 KS would be a better option (but that's only 100Mbps), the C2750 has good multi core performance. but single core is terrible.

• rm_rm_ IPv6 Advocate, Veteran
    edited September 2014

said: Raid HDDs. I get that this is difficult at this price point (more on this later) and fully understand if it's not possible, but hey, let's throw it out there in case.

Entirely possible, maybe not with 8 GB of RAM, but I think the 20 EUR one from OneProvider (old lineup resold from online.net) is still a better deal than the XC: http://oneprovider.com/dedicated-servers/paris-france

Or those below 20 EUR from http://digicube.fr/rapidserveurs
    but they want you to pay yearly to get the listed low prices.