Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Minimal Ubuntu 12.04 server
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Minimal Ubuntu 12.04 server

MuZoMuZo Member
edited July 2012 in Help

Hi,

I just got a kvm vps (512mb ram), installed ubuntu 12.04 server 64bit and the system is using 100mb ram, after installing tuxlite 475mb ram (without any site).
On my other vps with openvz (256mb ram) with ubuntu 12.04 server 32bit system only is using about 30-40mb ram and with tuxlite about 120 mb ram (without any site).

Why this difference? Does it makes difference between 32bit / 64bit ?

How can I have a light ubuntu like the 2nd vps?

If I install https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Installation/MinimalCD/ I will have a minimal ubuntu?

thank you

Comments

• MrAndroidMrAndroid Member
    edited July 2012

An OpenVZ container will use less RAM since it does not have its own individual kernel, where KVM VM does.

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran

Quite likely that the ISO you're installing from on the kvm differs significantly from the image on the OpenVZ system. I believe that the minimal cd from Ubuntu is referring more to the installation process and the size of the ISO than an actual difference in the final installation.

• MuZoMuZo Member

thank you for replies, going to install manully lamp on centos because I'm having problems with tuxlite

• djvdorpdjvdorp Member
    edited July 2012

@MuZo Make sure to secure your own lamp stack correctly. I never had problems with tuxlite. You can also try mailing the author as Matt is very helpful

• I'd recommend using a 32-bit OS, should get much less memory usage.

I tested running Ubuntu 12.04 64bit & 32bit with all my usual stuff installed on a 512MB KVM and the 32bit setup used a lot less ram (over 100MB less) and performed better because of it.

• Are you sure you are reading your memory usage correctly? http://linuxatemyram.com/

Thanked by 2MuZo rumpel
  • MuZoMuZo Member

Reinstalled ubuntu 12.04 32bit with tuxlite and working fine now

@dmmcintyre3

Thank you for the link, I was reading memory usage in the wrong way :P

I'm actually using 103mb ram now :)

Thanked by 1djvdorp
  • Probably benefiting from 32-bit anyways, even if you were reading the RAM wrong.

Thanked by 1NanoG6
  • vdnetvdnet Member

You have to determine which is more important to you. I always recommend 64-bit. You can get double the performance out of your CPU using 64-bit, even if it does use a little more RAM.

• @vdnet said: You can get double the performance out of your CPU using 64-bit,

Explain pls

Thanked by 2djvdorp Infinity
  • rumpelrumpel Member

Thanks @dmmcintyre3! I was reading it wrong, too.

• vdnetvdnet Member

http://www.ehow.com/about_6459264_64-vs_-32-bit-speed.html

64-bit handles bits in a much more efficient way. Now that most software supports it, there is no real reason to not take advantage of it.

You can test by benchmarking, I know from various servers I see about double the speed out of CPU benchmarks using 64-bit.

• flyfly Member

@vdnet said: You can get double the performance out of your CPU using 64-bit, even if it does use a little more RAM

lolwat

Thanked by 1yomero
  • jcalebjcaleb Member

the only software i know so far that has big advantage on 64bits are chess engines, because of bitboard representation (chess has 64 squares, so perfect fit). but still not that much, maybe just 30%.

Thanked by 1tux
  • MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran
    edited July 2012

I do see some improvement in 64 bit os regarding CPU but it is certainly not worth the cost in RAM. My rule of thumb is:
    Needs 4GB+ ram ? Go with 64 bit. 3 or below ? Go with 32.
    At times there are nightmares with 64 bit apps that fail mysteriously with random errors, troubleshooting is worth if there is a good benefit, otherwise 32 bit wont make you look bad, besides, if you need also run 32 bit apps and install libs, you will have more surface for attacks, if you do go with 64, make sure you wont need 32 ever.
    M

Thanked by 2djvdorp yomero
  • There are more resources that 64 bit uses compared with 32 bits.

On a side note, you can save more RAM if you use Xen and KVM, as per instructed on Tuxlite's website? Might want to read the 1st FAQ here

• flyfly Member

@jcaleb said: the only software i know so far that has big advantage on 64bits are chess engines, because of bitboard representation (chess has 64 squares, so perfect fit). but still not that much, maybe just 30%.