Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

WD VelociRaptor -comptible external case
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

WD VelociRaptor -comptible external case

I got 2 refurb WD VelociRaptor (without IcePack) that I was originally planning to fit into my normal 2.5 inch external HDD case. Only when those arrived I noticed that they are thicker than the normal 2.5 inch and won't fit into any of my 2.5 external 2.5 inch HDD case. The cheapest price I can find on the IcePack for those drives are at least 40 USD each ship to my door.

Does anyone know some cheap USB 2.0/3.0 drive that would allow me to make those ones become a small portable external HDD? Or has anyone tried to buy a non-Icepack converter (like those ones cost a few bucks on EBay) and fit them into the tower of the PC as a regular 3.5 inch internal HDD?

Comments

• shovenoseshovenose Member, Host Rep

they also need 12v regular 2.5 drives only need 5v

• You can use a regular 2.5'' to 3.5'' converter to fit the drive in a desktop case, but the drive needs to be cooled. Velociraptor's power dissipation is between 1.5W and 5W. A regular laptop drive is 1.5W at maximum.
    I once had a WD Velociraptor in a USB 3.5'' case, and it ran hot.

• So I guess basically I am screwed, I didn't know VelociRaptors are thicker than the usual 2.5 until I actually got them, since those are refubs from Newegg, I can't do a return....sigh...should've checked more carefully, now they'll just be sitting there and collecting dust since I can't even get them on my server without spending money on an extra 1W of power at least.

• zhuanyi said: I can't even get them on my server without spending money on an extra 1W of power at least.

Your DC charges per watt? Usually they charge per amp.

• @Corey said:
    Your DC charges per watt? Usually they charge per amp.

My bad, I meant amp, didn't sleep enough last night :)