Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Would you terminate for 50k pps for a few seconds? - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Would you terminate for 50k pps for a few seconds?

2»

Comments

• @Mun said:
    Maybe so, but on a VPS this is sorta ridiculous, probably should move to a small dedi or something more able to sustain those speeds. I personally see 40K pps as abusive.

Are the hosts advertising it as a gigabit slot? Then what's the problem? If the hosts advertise a slot as "12GB RAM" but suspend you if you get to 10GB, then you would be pissed wouldn't you? This is assuming OP's host didn't advertise it as something like "up to gigabit", but even in that case, up to 1gbps surely means reaching 70%-80% of that speed for a few seconds is fine.

• I don't. If I am also on the node that he is bursting that speed my vm would also be affected. Even if it is for only a few seconds. If I really needed to burst that speed i would contact my host beforehand and say I am going to be taxing the port.

• @Mun said:
    I don't. If I am also on the node that he is bursting that speed my vm would also be affected. Even if it is for only a few seconds. If I really needed to burst that speed i would contact my host beforehand and say I am going to be taxing the port.

I personally think the host should plan for this and provision more than 1gbps port for the node so even if someone reached close to the advertised 1gbps for a few seconds, there would be extra bandwidth for the others. Maybe i'm just naive about the overselling.

• J1021J1021 Member
    edited September 2014

coolnow said: I personally think the host should plan for this and provision more than 1gbps port for the node so even if someone reached close to the advertised 1gbps for a few seconds, there would be extra bandwidth for the others. Maybe i'm just naive about the overselling.

I'd rather take a VM limited to 100Mb/s with the host node connected at 1Gb/s over 1Gb/s shared.

In this case if (up to) 1Gb/s is advertised then the OP really shouldn't have any problems using that. If you purchase a 100Mb/s broadband connection you don't expect (or deem it acceptable) for your ISP to ask you consider your neighbours.

• risharderisharde Patron Provider, Veteran

Not to derail but is there a way for host to limit max bandwidth or pps per user? This might be a fine line between client and host responsibility. As a client, I would rather it be the host under reasonable circumstances.

• @Mun said:
    I don't. If I am also on the node that he is bursting that speed my vm would also be affected. Even if it is for only a few seconds. If I really needed to burst that speed i would contact my host beforehand and say I am going to be taxing the port.

But how would 50k pps affect any other box on the node?

• NyrNyr Community Contributor, Veteran

@tr1cky said:
    But how would 50k pps affect any other box on the node?

Depending on the setup, they could.

• When "most" hosts advertise 1gbps port on a VPS package 99.999% of the time it is shared and fair share. Apparently your host believes xx,xxx pps is fair share or they are restricting that for attacking purposes. If 50k pps is there limit for attack purposes they should put that in their TOS/AUP. Maybe you should either ask if your VPS can have a different limit or be excluded. If not get a dedicated server or find a host that has a higher limit. You could always just limit yourself ;)

Good luck!

Thanked by 1Mark_R
  • Mark_RMark_R Member
    edited September 2014

Why do people mention attacking/DoS? Incoming is definitly not the same as Outgoing data.

• Because your VPS could send and/or receive a attack/DOS at anytime ;)

@Mark_R said:
    Why do people mention attacking/DoS? Incoming is definitly not the same as Outgoing data.

Thanked by 1Mark_R
  • SplitIceSplitIce Member, Host Rep

In the short term such a load may be fine, however in all likelyhood your resources are shared. If your 50K PPS is disrupting other customers expect issues.

Most networking cards are good for 150-250KPPS, how these packets are handled is often the limiting factor e.g conntrack. You should contact your host in these cases as lots of providers have scripts for detecting outgoing attacks and these could be triggered under such a load.

• MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran
    edited September 2014

We have alerts below that. Sure, it is not funny to see every odd backup people do, but it is damn useful in early detection. Once you believe something is funny, sflow will show what is going on. In time you know the IPs and feel when something is wrong, so, even at 40k you can still say if it is a DDoS or not.
    We limit to 600 mbps the cloud instances, but there is no limit for the regular VPSes and in KVM 300 k pps is really a lot even if the cards can handle 1 mil.
    The largest outgoing DoS that I saw was on OVZ big nodes with something like 1.8 mil.
    We do not suspend unless there is a real attack or that the resources are stressed by repeated offenders (i.e. more than 800 mbps) pps not being a problem since nobody will reach 200 k pps without some kind of forbidden activity and anything below, even in non-ovz environments, is easily handled.

• @risharde said:
    Not to derail but is there a way for host to limit max bandwidth or pps per user? This might be a fine line between client and host responsibility. As a client, I would rather it be the host under reasonable circumstances.

Yes.

• 50k pps is low, my VPS had around 500k pps on shared 100mbit line. no big issue. i would not terminate, but maybe suspend if pps is above a few hundred thousands

• MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran

postcd said: 500k pps on shared 100mbit line.

Doing what?

• AnthonySmith said: few seconds is ok I would still question it though as I really cant see any good reason a download alone would unavoidably create 50k pps

Well... if they somehow managed to download 600 megabits per second...