Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

A simple opensource web API for linux management ?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

A simple opensource web API for linux management ?

raza19raza19 Veteran
edited September 2014 in General

What I want to do is to integrate in my current application (deployed at server B) the power to trigger actions on server A
e.g. actions like

creating new system users,

>

mysql databases, attaching users to dbs,

>

setting up mail accounts,

>

adding zones to dns server

I know I can create bash scripts that would ssh into server A and perform specific functions but this is unruly & I am sure someone must have developed something to deal with exactly these issues maybe in the form of a soap service or similar.

Please suggest anything that comes to mind, ideally an API that can be easily used inside PHP or similar.

p.s. I have googled without much success.

Comments

• A PHP SSH library.. ideally it's just better/safer than having two boxes running PHP and having exec enabled on Server A..

• There are several provision tools: puppet, chef, saltstack, ansible. They are designed to solve the problems. Or you can package the dependencies in container, such as docker.

• @bookstack said:
    There are several provision tools: puppet, chef, saltstack, ansible. They are designed to solve the problems. Or you can package the dependencies in container, such as docker.

thanks but i am looking for something more in the lines of configuring stuff rather than deploying packages. The programs you recommended seem to be great for managing/deploying a set of programs on new dedis or vpses.

• Virtualmin

• wojonswojons Member
    edited September 2014

I recommend VestaCp

Thanked by 1raza19
  • @raza19 said:
    thanks but i am looking for something more in the lines of configuring stuff rather than deploying packages. The programs you recommended seem to be great for managing/deploying a set of programs on new dedis or vpses.

Most provision tools can also update the configure files, run command lines to alter the system states.

• @wojons said:
    I recommend vetacp

VestaCP -**

Thanked by 1raza19
  • its just beautiful http://vestacp.com/docs/api/

100% what I was looking for, simple & elegant.

• ausaus Member
    edited September 2014

@wojons said:
    I recommend VestaCp

No official IPv6 support yet...but yeah, it's good overall.

P.S. If you are keen at editing Nginx config files you can use IPv6 as well :)

• @aus said:

sadly ipv6 remains pretty useless to this date... only if ipv4 is completely retired.

• @raza19 said:
    sadly ipv6 remains pretty useless to this date... only if ipv4 is completely retired.

The nice thing about ipv6 is that all ur computers in ur house or office have there own ip address out bound. so you can target a single machine. Also for tracking users with out having to use cookies you can track by ip address not a real session but its some data and u still follow the cookie laws.

• @raza19 said:
    its just beautiful http://vestacp.com/docs/api/

AFAIK their API does not work. I tried it a few weeks back and it did not work.

• @PremiumN said:
    and it did not work.

>

well that would be very unfortunate, would test it to see.