Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Gmail leaked - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Gmail leaked

2»

Comments

• risharderisharde Patron Provider, Veteran

Scary stuff... I wasn't on the list but I'm wondering if that site is even trust worthy to put my email address in the first place

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran

@micronetvps said:
    I would not risk testing my email address on such websites.

Afraid they'll send you an email?

• can we get a lol button next to thanks

Thanked by 2jmginer noosVPS
  • blackblack Member
    edited September 2014

Edit: removed. I think I found it myself.

• @Jar said:
    Afraid they'll send you an email?

Not afraid but sounds fishy especially why would you try to verify your address on a site which does not belong to google?

• @micronetvps said:

Have Google even made a formal response yet?

• @wych said:
    Have Google even made a formal response yet?

Not sure but I don't think it's likely to happen. :)

• matthewvzmatthewvz Member, Host Rep

Was it just gmail or was google apps compromised also?

@micronetvps said:
    Not afraid but sounds fishy especially why would you try to verify your address on a site which does not belong to google?

Because Google is never going to tell you what password is in that leak. By providing this interface it allows people to cross reference the leak without downloading a list of people's passwords. The data is out there, this is an easy way to check it quickly. The worst they can do is sell your email address, and quite frankly the value of that sale has dropped, as there are more than enough ways to scrape the Internet for email addresses.

• blackblack Member
    edited September 2014

So wait... where are the passwords? I want to see if they have the correct password for one of my email accounts.

• @matthewvz said:
    Was it just gmail or was google apps compromised also?

It looks like just @gmail.com addresses. I downloaded the file to grep for domains I have with google apps and none of them are there.

Thanked by 1matthewvz
  • Thank goodness my email is not there. How do we secure our gmail accounts?

• SilvengaSilvenga Member
    edited September 2014

matthewvz said: Was it just gmail or was google apps compromised also?

Google Apps data is stored in a different area. Google has government, education, health, etc. contracts with Google Apps - they wouldn't keep that data with Gmail.

Tripleflix said: shows a very old password of my gmail account, not used for years...

Me too. There's an account there I haven't used in 3-4 years with an old password. I'm starting to wonder if this is a leak of Gmail passwords, or an aggregation of forum usernames and passwords from another source.

EDIT: Google did tell the media that: "We have no evidence that our systems have been compromised, but whenever we become aware that accounts may have been, we take steps to help those users secure their accounts."

Starting to think that Google was not hacked.

• I don't think they stole it directly from gmail / google. Might be stolen from phishing or some database dumps.

• GreenHostBoxGreenHostBox Member
    edited September 2014

I doubt it's a real leak. If it was real, Gmail wouldn't have kept quiet and would've sent out an email already alerting users to change their password and such.

• Yes! Account [email protected] is found! First two symbols of password is: ga. Immediately change your password!

• Yeah, this is pretty fake. Since I'm not an idiot, and didn't use any of my passwords on any fishy websites; none of my 200+ GMail accounts were found in this dump. Thus proving pretty easily that this dump didn't come from GMail's servers, but from random phishing websites and hacked forum databases, shifty public services, etc.

• rskrsk Member, Patron Provider

GoodHosting said: my 200+ GMail accounts

wow .. what do you use 200 accounts for? :P

• @rsk said:

One for every other day of the year?

• rskrsk Member, Patron Provider

petris said: One for every other day of the year?

I use one account and I barely have time to go through it ...

• @rsk said:

Well, since each GMail account can fetch mail from another 5 GMail accounts, it's pretty easy to set up a chain to be able to use them all as mailboxes. As well, since with GMail you can have any number of periods (albino.geek, alb.ino.geek, albinogeek a.lbinog.eek, etc.) in your names to have alternative E-Mails that all deliver; it's great.

• The large storage you get on GDrive for each account is incredible, there is a lot of Windows software you can use that will allow you to add multiple GMail accounts together and get one large mountable partition on your desktop that's easily 10TB or larger in size using a few hundred GMails.
  • The funny part is, they put Google Adsense on a page that is showing leaked account.

edited September 2014

@black said:
    I don't think they stole it directly from gmail / google. Might be stolen from phishing or some database dumps.

I'm pretty darn sure that you are correct. My account was compromised somewhere around the range of 2004-2006. That is the password in this leak. My account was compromised, used to send spam, and that password was never used again.

Edit: Correction. It was 2010, confirmed. My memory isn't what it used to be. Still, that's a lifetime ago to me.

• BrianHarrisonBrianHarrison Member, Patron Provider

@KameZero said:
    Whelp. Guess it's time to freak out. (and reset my passwords)

Haha! Hilarious how you stated that so 'as a matter of fact'-ly :D

At least you were able to catch it early.