Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

So I have a spare PC at home... - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

So I have a spare PC at home...

2»

Comments

• DewlanceVPSDewlanceVPS Member, Patron Provider

If bandwidth price is cheaper then you can host server at your home but I think you can find more cheaper deal on colo.

For testing purpose If your PC Support Virtualization then you can use VirtualBox, etc and install CentOS + KVM on VirtualBox.

• rm_rm_ IPv6 Advocate, Veteran
    edited September 2014

Mark_R said: cloudflare is just a reverse proxy, whatever your home server might hosts could leak the real ip since its broadcasting to the public (email server header

Still that's within your control.

indexed by search engines, etc.)

Those will index you through CF and only know the CF IPs (if any).

What I was talking about is if there are any cases when CloudFlare would publicize your IP, I know some CDNs in the past would just redirect people to the original server IP directly when they consider themselves "overloaded". But perhaps CF doesn't have such "fallback" behavior.

Mark_R said: if you wanna make sure your IP is covered then you'd have to bind it to another server using a GRE/OpenVPN tunnel - but this would defeat the whole purpose of using your home connection to host anything since you'd need to rent a server somewhere else!

Not entirely - for example you could rent a very cheap but DDoS protected VPS and use that as a tunnel only, so it can have any low specs (128 MB of RAM or less, 1GB disk), then run the actual hosting at home (with 16-32 GB of RAM, SSD RAID etc etc).

• @rm_ you quoted just a few examples I gave, theres obviously more to it. But hey! if you want to run public services using your own internet connection feel free to broadcast it. I'm just pointing out that it isn't really a smart move to give away your only gateway to the WWW.

• The big advantage to having a server at home is that you have complete control over it. That's mainly important if you have confidential or other sensitive data on it. Even if it does cost a little more than a cheap VPS, you have a bit more peace of mind that a bored host/employee won't poke around through your stuff. You can also upgrade it however you want and quite easily.

• rm_rm_ IPv6 Advocate, Veteran
    edited September 2014

Mark_R said: you quoted just a few examples I gave, theres obviously more to it.

What "more"? As I said, it's entirely under your control whether or not you disclose your actual IP yourself. You can block any outgoing communication from the web server user, or even run web server in a VM that doesn't have internet access and only allows incoming connections to its NATed internal IP address from a narrow list of your trusted reverse proxy (CF?) ranges. After this, it's a matter of whether or not whatever reverse proxy you use will rat you out (which is the point I was discussing in my two previous posts), some CDNs will, CF maybe will not, but as I did not use it personally, I am not sure.

But hey! if you want to run public services using your own internet connection feel free to broadcast it.

"Your computer is broadcasting an IP address" is a stupid phrase from an old dumb advert banner, I think it even made it into a meme, but I wish we wouldn't use it in a serious technical conversation.

I'm just pointing out that it isn't really a smart move to give away your only gateway to the WWW.

Sure, but you keep pointing that out seemingly without reading or giving any thought to messages that you're responding to.

• @rm_ said:

k. whatever.

• @linuxthefish said:
    In total I pay around £30 a month for electric, but with no tumble drier/microwave. I guess I should get a wall meter thing to measure my server/switch/router's power consumption.

I'm using a HP Microserver N40L with 2 drives, a switch, RPi and Access Point and it's only using 30-35Watts which costs about £50/yr to run

Thanked by 1linuxthefish
  • rmlhhdrmlhhd Member
    edited September 2014

@rm_ it would be easier/safer to setup a GRE tunnel or a VPN to tunnel specific traffic such as port 80 or SSH

Setup a script that detects how many packets are being received if it goes above a certain amount then drop the VPN connection or GRE.

• linuxthefishlinuxthefish Member
    edited September 2014

Yeah if you home host don't have your public IP showing if you get lots attacks.

A 2nd internet line for home server might be a good idea!

• jebberjebber Member
    edited September 2014

@jbarr If you get something up and running, and you want to have an outside user, I could use it as a staging server for a lightweight ruby app.

I don't need another one, but your experiment might be more fun with users.

I would use Mandrill for email, and my bandwidth and resource usage would be very low.

You could restart, shut down or nuke the thing at any time, without warning and I wouldn't complain.