Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Dovecot: Maildir vs. sdbox vs. mdbox
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Dovecot: Maildir vs. sdbox vs. mdbox

JustAMacUserJustAMacUser Member
edited September 2014 in Help

In a few months I'm going to need to setup a mail server and I'm looking for feedback regarding Dovecot's mail storage methods. Alternatives to Dovecot itself are not an option so please limit suggestions and comments to Dovecot experiences. Specifically I am looking for performance (probably on a low end box so RAM, CPU and file size overhead), and future migration potential/challenges between using Maildir, single-dbox or multi-dbox.

I have used Dovecot's Maildir format and it seemed fine, but searching 10K+ messages on the server is not exactly fast (iOS Mail doesn't do a whole lot of local caching, for example). So I'm wondering if using a dbox format would be better and which one.

The server will only have a handful of users and domains, but probably 50K+ messages or more (stored on it, received daily/monthly will not be all that high).

Thanks for sharing your thoughts.

Dovecot
  1. Which mailbox format?7 votes
    1. Maildir
      71.43%
    2. single-dbox
        0.00%
    3. multi-dbox
      14.29%
    4. mbox
      14.29%

Comments