Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

VPS with 250-500GB space for storage and torrent seeding
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

VPS with 250-500GB space for storage and torrent seeding

ChronicChronic Member
edited September 2014 in Requests

Hi!

I'm looking for a VPS with 250-500GB of hard drive space. I'll be using it to run OwnCloud and as a seedbox on private torrent trackers. I don't have any particular requirements as far as memory and CPU is concerned. I probably won't transfer more than 500GB monthly, but I'd like to go with 1TB to be on the safe side.

I've been looking at the following Cloud Shards offer on KVM for $7/month and it looks very appealing, but I'm interested to see if anyone else can offer something better:

• 1 CPU
  • 320MB RAM
  • 500GB RAID50 Disk Space
  • 2TB Traffic @ 1gbit Port
  • 1 IPv4 Address
  • 8 IPv6 Addresses

If the deal is solid, I might be prepared to pay yearly.

Comments

• VPSDime allow private torrents I think. Otherwise just get a Kimsufi/Online box.

• Kimsufi?

• ChronicChronic Member
    edited September 2014

hostnoob said: VPSDime allow private torrents I think.

They do and I'm actually with them right now. They provide a solid service, but I'm on the lookout for other deals. Kimsufi is really not worth it for me because it's more expensive (especially if you consider the tax) and I don't need a dedicated server because my usage is not that intense.

• You get more RAM with VPSDime which works well as a cache so it burdens the server less. 320MB is a bit on a low side for that.

Thanked by 1Chronic
  • @Chronic said:

The revisions to the TOS say

"Torrents, TOR, Mining, IRC, Teamspeak, Minecraft, Starbound, Runescape and Chobots are not allowed."

In giant letters..

• @ATHK I'm sure serverian said it in an offer thread he once posted, they would allow torrents (maybe in their EU locations only?) but no public torrents.

• Look guys, for most providers it's "We don't care what you do, just don't be a dick and get us in trouble or an abuse notice." because proactively looking for torrents is just annoying to customers and a little bit creepy (IMO).

• Regular plans don't allow Torrents. Storage plans allow private torrents.. it's advertised on the homepage guys..

• We are talking about storage plan and what you post are all pointing to the regular ones.

• ATHKATHK Member
    edited September 2014

@msg7086 said:
    We are talking about storage plan and what you post are all pointing to the regular ones.

If you bothered to read the post..

We do not allow

BitTorrent

So they have per service TOS's do they? Odd..

• @ATHK said:
    So they have per service TOS's do they? Odd..

Yes, they do. They previously claimed that private torrent are indeed allowed, but never public torrenting.

• @msg7086 said:
    Yes, they do. They previously claimed that private torrent are indeed allowed, but never public torrenting.

Fair enough, I would like to know how they can monitor the private vs public trackers though. Besides acting on DMCAs.

• @ATHK said:
    Fair enough, I would like to know how they can monitor the private vs public trackers though. Besides acting on DMCAs.

TBH I don't think they can, until they receive one.

• SilvengaSilvenga Member
    edited September 2014

ATHK said: Fair enough, I would like to know how they can monitor the private vs public trackers though. Besides acting on DMCAs.

I think they said they just block the well known public trackers (e.g. OpenTracker). Use only DHT and PEX, or just use private trackers.

• I think that @serverian's opinion here will be most worth.

• They're OOS, anyway.