Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Encrypted dropbox like service for VPS
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Encrypted dropbox like service for VPS

MeoMeo Member

Hi,

I need to be able to sync files between my VPS and multiple PC users. It should work like Dropbox, just that the files are stored encrypted on my VPS.

I prefer (easy) open source solutions if they exists.

Comments

• Get a KVM and encrypt the disk and then install ownCloud.

Thanked by 1Blanoz
  • I guess you've considered OwnCloud on a VPS? Years ago they thought themselves to be competitors to Dropbox at least: https://owncloud.com/owncloud-emerges-as-open-source-competitor-to-dropbox-box-net/

• SpeedBusSpeedBus Member, Host Rep

OwnCloud should be able to do this, they have Desktop & Mobile Sync apps and the latest version has encryption in it as well.

• @kcaj said:
    Get a KVM and encrypt the disk and then install ownCloud.

What that good man said! They've straighten up with the release of OwnCloud v7 - not that it was a lousy service in previous versions.

Also, if security is your main concern, check with Mega(.co.nz). They've released a Linux client recently.

• Blanoz said: What that good man said! They've straighten up with the release of OwnCloud v7 - not that it was a lousy service in previous versions.

Is it working decent now? I've heard that it broke every other day some time ago

• What about Pydio or Seafile !?

Thanked by 2ehab Meo
  • btsync also fine

• SilvengaSilvenga Member
    edited September 2014

I hated ownCloud's sync. It was buggy with conflicts. I've since upgrade to just having a git repository, then syncing to that (through GitLab). So I would recommend the open source project SparkleShare.

Thanked by 1Meo
  • jEpjEp Member
    edited September 2014

I'm using AeroFS (team server), deduplication makes it encrypted enough for me :)

• Thanks for all the answers!

Bittorrent Sync is not open source, and it seems that OwnCloud uses server side encryption, not client side encryption?

Why would full disk encryption be good, if the server is running 24/7. Wouldn't it be easy to extract the key, if an intruder gets access to the server?

Seafile looks promising, but the it seems a bit complicated to setup.

SparkleShare might also work.

• perennateperennate Member, Host Rep
    edited September 2014

Meo said: Bittorrent Sync is not open source, and it seems that OwnCloud uses server side encryption, not client side encryption?

Edit: nevermind guess you're right, only for server -> external storage

If you will always have at least one of the users online, you could look at http://syncthing.net/

• Most of the "cloud storage" solutions that I have seen are file based. As files change on the client system, they are sync'd with the equivalent file on the server. A file-based system offers many advantages to the server, including file compression and deduplication. (If the file is encrypted at the client, then compression must be done at the client too.)

These types of cloud storage solutions differ from one that is now defunct, but I miss it very much. Apple's old iDisk cloud storage provided the ability to mount a virtual disk volume with its own file system. As you made changes, the virtual volume did reads, writes and directory updates of the virtual volume's virtual disk sectors. There are obvious disadvantages to the server for this type of cloud storage compared with the file-based cloud storage. There are also obvious advantages to the client - if the file system is hidden or an encrypted virtual volume is placed on it, then the system can be more secure for the client.

--> The question for you is, does anyone still offer a virtualized file system version of cloud storage, perhaps one of the various services mentioned above? If so, can any of them be run on a Linux VPS or are they strictly hosted services?

• Seafile was easy to set up on a fresh installed debian VPS. Followed this video:

Might get back with a review after some weeks of usage :)

Thanked by 1joereid
  • You will hate it as soon as you have to sync 100 GB+ or many small files. It will take forever, get stuck or - even worse - start over again and again. The big plus with ownCloud is, that you can initially upload your data via SFTP or WebDAV and then sync with the client. This works out much faster. But try for yourself! Maybe it's okay for you. It wasn't for me.

• @Silvenga said:
    I hated ownCloud's sync. It was buggy with conflicts. I've since upgrade to just having a git repository repository, then syncing to that (through GitLab). So I would recommend the open source project SparkleShare.

Same. The way ownCloud handles conflicts is a frigging joke (imo).