Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Providers subnet is in a Spam RBL -- par for the course for LEBs?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Providers subnet is in a Spam RBL -- par for the course for LEBs?

2bluesc2bluesc Member
edited September 2014 in General

Hey all,

My ChicagoVPS box's subnet has been blacklisted in Spam RBL for almost a month now. I realize I don't expect much from these guys, but after a month I'd have to imagine they would have done something about the spammers on their network.

Question: Is this normal for LEBs?

From what I gather poking around here, this is par for the course for CVPS.

Blacklist detail:

Timeline:

• 08/12 - First contact, open ticket with abuse dept, included relevant parts of bounced emails
  • 08/16 - Second contact, no response yet, relevant part of one of many bounced emails
  • 08/17 - First response, Luc Ayotte: "We're working on this to get this cleared/fixed."
  • ... misc other ticket follow-ups
  • 09/06 - Asked for an update.
  • 09/06 - Response, James Burkowitz: "We are already working on it, we will update you soon on this."

I intend to move my mail server when ChicagoVPS contract ends, but I naively thought it would be resolved in a few days. Almost one month later I'm wrong.

Anyone else caught up in this?

Comments

• GreenHostBoxGreenHostBox Member
    edited September 2014

Don't be surprised. Most ColoCrossing's IPs are blacklisted in RBL, and don't anticipate for this to be fixed anytime soon.

• Welcome to the great ColoCrossing network!

• ColoCrossing IP's are tarnished, but not all LEB's are.

• I doubt it will ever be fixed. I think you can use Mandrill to send mail though?

Thanked by 12bluesc
  • hostnoob said: I doubt it will ever be fixed. I think you can use Mandrill to send mail though?

Didn't realize they offer free service for under 12k emails / mo. I'll probably never send 1k. Thanks!

• Those are hosted on CC Ips which are mostly blacklisted (Still there are few which are good)

You can simply use mandrill as we are doing to get rid of that :) Mandrill is satisfying our needs from every end, We have 5,695 emails/hr limit from there now due to Excellent reputation :D

• Yep, mandrill. Here's a bash script that interacts with mandrill API to send emails. Simple and easy to use.

Thanked by 1FrankZ
  • @black using this script will also lock you in, because the Mandrill API is not a common API, like SMTP.

• @M66B said:
    black using this script will also lock you in, because the Mandrill API is not a common API, like SMTP.

You can setup SMTP as well, it's an option for anyone that wants to use it.

• FYI for anyone @ ChicagoVPS, I just received an email for MxToolbox:

I'd bet a lot of money that CVPS won't even email me to tell me the issue is resolved. ;)

• perennateperennate Member, Host Rep

2bluesc said: I'd bet a lot of money that CVPS won't even email me to tell me the issue is resolved. ;)

Why would they consider their IPs being listed on some random guy's list, an issue?

Thanked by 1doughmanes
  • @perennate said:
    Why would they consider their IPs being listed on some random guy's list, an issue?

MXToolbox is a pretty standard list now. Not official, but I've know many companies now prefer to use it.

• @2bluesc said:
    FYI for anyone @ ChicagoVPS, I just received an email for MxToolbox:

I'd bet a lot of money that CVPS won't even email me to tell me the issue is resolved. ;)

Still blacklisted by Fabel. Well, mine is anyway.

• I really don't get the "use mandrill" responses. How about choosing a provider that keeps their ip's clean? I've never had to worry about how to send mail, to find a workaround for my providers lack of integrity to keep their IP's somewhat clean.

• Ask for a clean IP or check who your choosing to host with.

Thanked by 1AuroraZ
  • It is not normal for leb hosts to have blacklisted ips.

As for mandrill you can configure postfix to relay mail via it:

http://help.mandrill.com/entries/23060367-Can-I-configure-Postfix-to-send-through-Mandrill-

Also be sure to setup spf and dkim for mandrill. Instructions on their site.

• 2bluesc said: I'd bet a lot of money that CVPS won't even email me to tell me the issue is resolved. ;)

Do you expect them to fluff your pillow before you go to bed at night?