Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Wheezy repository (reprise)
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Wheezy repository (reprise)

Steve81Steve81 Member
edited September 2014 in General

Hello!

I open a new thread because (IMHO) in the old one is hard to understand what is IN and what is OUT (and I can't edit the old thread, silly rules).

I'll post here only when I add or remove a package, when I update to a major release (hard but possible) or when a new mirror is added.

Have fun!

Main address (behind cloudflare)

deb http://apt.balocco.name wheezy main cron dns irc ircd nodejs p2p php smtp ssh www

Mirrors (mantained by me, hosted on LES)

Mirrors (mantained by other users)

Thanks @Mun for the us mirror, @introducial for the turkish mirror

Content (for a more detailed package list: http://apt.balocco.name/pkg_list.wheezy.txt)

• main

• aidentd
    • ps-mem.py

• bcron
    • dcron
  • dns

• maradns
    • knot
    • yadifa
    • woods-host
  • irc

• eggdrop
    • eggdrop-httpproxy
    • eggdrop-ipv6
    • eggdrop-ssl
    • znc
  • ircd

• ngircd
    • atheme-services
  • ssh

• dropbear (patched for fail2ban)
    • dropbear-client
    • fail2ban (patched for dropbear)
    • gesftpclient
    • gesftpserver
  • smtp

• dma
    • opensmtpd

• cherokee
    • hiawatha
    • htpasswd.pl
    • htpasswd.py
    • monkey
    • openlitespeed
  • nodejs

• nodejs
    • nodejs-legacy (symlink node to nodejs)
    • npm
  • p2p

• transmission-cli
    • transmission-daemon
    • transmission-webinterface
  • php

• php-zendoptimizerplus

Comments

• Can you give me an idea, why someone want to use cherokee hiawatha monkey when there are nginx, which have lower memory/cpu footprint and works many times faster, have much bigger community?

• Steve81Steve81 Member
    edited September 2014

@Profforg said:
    Can you give me an idea, why someone want to use cherokee hiawatha monkey when there are nginx, which have lower memory/cpu footprint and works many times faster, have much bigger community?

Different features and target:

• Hiawatha is focused on security
    • Monkey is the faster webserver
    • Cherokee is targeted to ease of use (it have an external webgui to configure the webserver) and have an interesting caching feature (frontline cache)
    • Openlitespeed have a webgui and is partially compatible with rewrite rules

nginx is not the holy grail of webservers; all of those webserver have nearly (little lower or little higher) the same speed/cpu/memory usage as nginx.

Also, in my experience, nginx is the worst one when using fpm on uds.

As final point if all people use the same webserver a single bug can rule them all (heartbleed doesn't affected monkey/hiawatha, for example, as they use polarssl).

Thanked by 2Mark_R lsmichael
  • For openlitespeed, it is a pity that php-litespeed is no longer available.

• I'm just wondering, why would anyone use a third-party repo when there is an official (more trustworthy?) one managed by the Debian team? what is the benefit of using your repo? i'm still pretty unfamilar with the whole repo system.

Thanked by 1Profforg
  • Steve81Steve81 Member
    edited September 2014

@nullnull said:
    For openlitespeed, it is a pity that php-litespeed is no longer available.

Is too hard to mantain a php sapi, and php-litespeed doesn't work very well with an init script (without an init script is quite senseless to package it, IMAO).

@Mark_R said:
    I'm just wondering, why would anyone use a third-party repo when there is an official (more trustworthy?) one managed by the Debian team? what is the benefit of using your repo? i'm still pretty unfamilar with the whole repo system.

Some packages aren't available in the official repository, other are available but in an older version or without some features.
    Also, maybe you miss it, my repo is an ADDITION to the official one. Not a replacement.