Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Wordpress auto update stopped working on all my servers - why?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Wordpress auto update stopped working on all my servers - why?

I have used Wordpress for years now, and I have alsways liked that I can press upgrade from control panel, and then I get the newest version installed automatically.

But I must have done some security change on all my servers some months ago, since the last two updates fails because of file rights.
I can still auto upgrade plugins etc, but not the complete wordpress installation.

My servers is running on CentOS 6.5 32bit, with the newest Virtualmin installed.
All using Wordpress 3.9.2, but I want to upgrade to WordPress 4.0

Using 755 on all other directories then wp-content, that uses 775.

Anybody that can help me? I have lots of Wordpress installations I need to upgrade, and the same error on all of them. Also on other servers.

Comments

• same as mine, having several website using wordpress and now i need to update manually

• Big releases need to be manually updated, small point releases 3.9.X are auto updated.

• Try ManageWP – Manage WordPress Sites from One Dashboard

• In my case I have upgraded wordpress yesterday from dashboard without any problem.

• @mikeyur said:
    Big releases need to be manually updated, small point releases 3.9.X are auto updated.

This.

• i upgraded to 4 from the dashboard

• mikeyur said: Big releases need to be manually updated, small point releases 3.9.X are auto updated.

Alternatively, you can edit the configuration file to enable major auto updates.

• my tip: after growing the webspace, it works - the wordpress upgrade to wp 4.0 needs more space. perhaps it helps.

• BlanozBlanoz Member
    edited September 2014

Maybe it triggered a timeout somewhere?

• I think we talk about auto install in two ways.
    I'm talking about pressing update now in the control panel. Thats not working (or auto update by it self).
    Only way to update, is to upload all the files with FTP and thats takes lots if time, for many websites.
    So all I want is to press "update now" and Wordpress updates it self.

• Is it an error like FTP or user rights? Have you tried to see the owner?

Is it www-data for the main directory or another user?

Thanked by 1myhken
  • @ErawanArifNugroho said:
    Is it an error like FTP or user rights? Have you tried to see the owner?

Is it www-data for the main directory or another user?

Yes, I think Erawan is right, change the owner of file. I try that yesterday when I install wordpress on my OpenLitespeed server, just change owner to nobody and fix...

Thanked by 1ErawanArifNugroho
  • I have upgraded wordpress from 3.9 to 4.0 yesterday from dashboard no issues

• @thesuppOrtGuy2 said:
    I have upgraded wordpress from 3.9 to 4.0 yesterday from dashboard no issues

no problem, your webaccount is with enough webspace - so - please see above - when there a problems with auto-wp-update - you must give more webspace (MB) to your account.

• Found the error, all file permissions on all servers has been set to 644, but when I change them to 664, the update is working fine.

Using command:
    find /home/xxxx//public_html/ -type f -exec chmod 664 {} \;

• You can use WP Pipeline to update multiple blogs at once as well :)

• I have the same issue. WP auto update can not create directory. I googled for correct file permissions for WP, but when I do them via secure FTP, all my WP blog becomes unaccessible. I get internal 500 server errors on admin side, sometimes on public side too.

Can someone help me why I am having these issues? I am using Vesta CP, did manual install of WP