Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

rDNS entry for successful mail sending when no domain name?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

rDNS entry for successful mail sending when no domain name?

When I first started with VPSs I would buy a domain name and set up DNS so I could access it through a name. Now I've moved on and just use IPs. With a domain name that resolves to the VPS setting rDNS easy, the domain name.

But with just an IP I am stuck on how to set the rDNS. My main concern is sending email through the VPS and getting it through the spam filters than penalize for lack of an rDNS entry. I do have a Mandrill account, but I have a couple of sites that send 200 emails a day (not spam) that I want to be able to send through Postfix on the VPS and not relay through Mandril.

What is the best practice for this situation?

Comments

• RootNerdsRootNerds Member, Host Rep

If you're having sites you probably have domains. You will need to setup a domain name and rdns.

• perennateperennate Member, Host Rep

You can get a no-ip or .tk for it

• Sure I have sites with domains. If I have 20 WP sites on a VPS that itself has no domain what should the rDNS entry be for the VPS? With multiple tiny VPSs that only host one site, setting rDNS is easy.

@RootNerds said:
    If you're having sites you probably have domains. You will need to setup a domain name and rdns.

• Please could you elaborate?

@perennate said:
    You can get a no-ip or .tk for it

• You can use subdomains you know? Set the hostname of your VPS to subdomain.example.com. Create an A record pointing subdomain.example.com to your VPS IP and finally set the rdns.

MTUser2012 said: With multiple tiny VPSs that only host one site, setting rDNS is easy.

This does not matter. You just use a subdomain of one of your sites (vps01.mysite.com) and then set the RDNS to vps01.mysite.com

It does not actually matter if it's the domain you're sending from.

• I see. Thank you.

@Abdussamad said:
    You can use subdomains you know? Set the hostname of your VPS to subdomain.example.com. Create an A record pointing subdomain.example.com to your VPS IP and finally set the rdns.

• Thank you.

@RootNerds said:
    It does not actually matter if it's the domain you're sending from.

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran
    edited September 2014

Key is that the sending server claims to be the value that the rDNS matches. This is typically your hostname. So whatever "hostname -f" reveals, match that and make sure there's a live A record that matches (fcRDNS). If all your servers have the same hostname, you're doing it wrong and should set each to its own subdomain.

Thanked by 1Dylan

Yeah, you should also ensure that your mail servers HELO is the same as the subdomain and rdns you've chosen. The actual server hostname does not matter. The HELO does.

• agentmishraagentmishra Member, Host Rep

@RootNerds said:
    Yeah, you should also ensure that your mail servers HELO is the same as the subdomain and rdns you've chosen. The actual server hostname does not matter. The HELO does.

the rdns in general practice is set as the box's hostname...