Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Cloud.net - 30% to 90% discount codes! - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Cloud.net - 30% to 90% discount codes!

2»

Comments

• rubbierubbie Member
    edited September 2014

Where I come from: I have >100 vm and have had >20 suppliers. So I comment based on this experience. I have been able to create an account and have spin-up a server.
    Some first impressions: 1) you directly compete with digital ocean and vult. But (without discount) your prices today are already 30% higher. Whereas with them I know what infrastructure (server, ssd, network-speed) I get, that is not the case with your service. 2) your interface can not compete. Where they have one page to spin up servers and support multiple payment methodes you do not.... 3) compared with any other provider, your service is an blackbox. Other than through shell access there is no way to manage the server! when something goes haywire the only thing one can do is terminate an server (which is an service) and contract a new server and start again. 4)Say 3 happens: it is not clear what that means in terms of business model: I have lost my money paid for the service terminated and have to pay a again for the new server I have to spin-up? 5)coming to the conclusion this is nothing for me. I am willing to forget the 60 cents payed and want to destroy the server I spin-up: first you tell me you are going to charge met 5 dollar (without tax), second the destroy button does not work! You have made it impossible to leave?
    My 50 cents: you are way to early to go to market, either keep the discount around for a very long time or close the cap very fast. Because even with these ridiculous attractive (monthly) discount I am wondering if my trouble is worth the effort.

• NullMindNullMind Member
    edited September 2014

@rubbie said:
    Where I come from: I have >100 vm and have had >20 suppliers. So I comment based on this experience. I have been able to create an account and have spin-up a server.

Thanks for giving it a try, certainly somebody with your amount of servers will surely benefit from this type of setup

Some first impressions: 1) you directly compete with digital ocean and vult. But (without discount) your prices today are already 30% higher. Whereas with them I know what infrastructure (server, ssd, network-speed) I get, that is not the case with your service.

Actually thats not the case, cloud.net is not a digital ocean / linod / etc type of setup, while there are a couple of offers in there for SSD VPS that are closely priced to those (and take a look where .. Softlayer), cloud.net is a marketplace that incorporates real cloud as well (failover HV's, etc) as well as a single interface to distribute your workload among many locations and providers

2) your interface can not compete. Where they have one page to spin up servers and support multiple payment methodes you do not....

Additional payment methods are coming, and we strive to continue to improve on the UI and UX, here is a preview on how we are going to make our cloud butler even better

cloud butler

3) compared with any other provider, your service is an blackbox. Other than through shell access there is no way to manage the server! when something goes haywire the only thing one can do is terminate an server (which is an service) and contract a new server and start again.

Actually we are trying to do the exact opposite, we are quite upfront with the performance index of both Cloud and VPS setups and you do have tools to start/restart vm's, some additional ones that are already supported in the underlining technology (OnApp) such as reboot into recovery mode are coming, we are currently building the API support into the federation and marketplace, but this is al about transparency, so more and more details and information on each cloud is being added

4)Say 3 happens: it is not clear what that means in terms of business model: I have lost my money paid for the service terminated and have to pay a again for the new server I have to spin-up?

No you don't, when you terminate a server the remaining balance is credited back to you, and since you are in a fixed billing period, your next server, if of the same size, will cost the same or less than your current credit, so no further charge happen for the period.

5)coming to the conclusion this is nothing for me. I am willing to forget the 60 cents payed and want to destroy the server I spin-up: first you tell me you are going to charge met 5 dollar (without tax), second the destroy button does not work! You have made it impossible to leave?

I'm not sure what do you mean ?, when you destroy a server, the system gives you a message explaining to you that a refund is going to be given in the amount shown, perhaps you confused the message as a charge ? look here:

credit

Also, the second button won't work until you type the message to destroy it, this is made so people don't delete vm's by mistake

My 50 cents: you are way to early to go to market, either keep the discount around for a very long time or close the cap very fast. Because even with these ridiculous attractive (monthly) discount I am wondering if my trouble is worth the effort.

Well, I hope you give it another go, Cloud.net is based on a great portfolio of clouds running one of the best cloud systems in the market today, it's rock solid infrastructure, but we know there are more tools from OnApp to be ported, the flexibility and freedom it gives you will be make your effort worth while, plus we need more feedback like this, you can't build a great system without great users input ! :)

Any other questions you have, please ask away, this was very good.

• @antiycda said:
    hum. only cc payment

What payment type would you prefer, it's important for us to know so we can prioritise it, is it paypal ?

• In response to NullMind feedback.
    1)I found you on LET. Though using VM for >3 years now and having a world-wide application-cloud solution Softlayer and OnApp are new to me. That is on me, but I think it is not strange that customers find you with no background knowledge on this particular subjects at all.
    2)I judge on use, not on whats in your head. I find it hard to connect to what you say you deliver, based on what I see... Please show me if i missing something?

Actually we are trying to do the exact opposite, we are quite upfront with the performance index of both Cloud and VPS setups and you do have tools to start/restart vm's, some additional ones that are already supported in the underlining technology (OnApp) such as reboot into recovery mode are coming, we are currently building the API support into the federation and marketplace, but this is al about transparency, so more and more details and information on each cloud is being added

No where on your site or in your interface underlying technology is communicated. I could not find any way to startup an underlying dashboard which provided me with more tools for server management? So nice those option are there, but guide customers to them or tell them where to look!! Otherwise these are just words.
    What I would find primary server management action is the action a Solus-interface offers: a way to re-image servers, changing hostnames, changing root passwords, configuring network properties.... Personally re-imaging and setting root password are items that count for me.

I can push cancel but the destroy button does not work!

Something new and hoping to help you: I use ubuntu distros. You are missing LTS 12.04, but added 13.10 and or 13.04 (short supported distros). An odd an choice and for me a no no...

• NullMindNullMind Member
    edited September 2014

Hi rubbie

Indeed as mentioned, there are a few features that are not there yet, the underlining tech already has it, but we are bringing it to the fronted on the marketplace, it's work we are undergoing at the moment, understand those who are more important for clients is imperative for us to prioritise it's schedule.

And of course you are right, we don't expect people to know about us, thats why we are out here and spreading the word, so that people can see and try us and provide valuable feedback that can help us create a great experience. :)

I am going to create and try to delete a server with the same name as yours, and see if we might have a pesty bug in the form, I will report back.

• I was able to create and delete a server with the same name, what browser are you using ? sometime if you copy-past an item into a form, depending on the browser, forms won't notice they have been filed, if you copy-paste, delete the last character and re-add it to activate the form, if you typing it in, let me know the browser and we will test

• why paypal not accepted? :(

• @Ruriko said:
    why paypal not accepted? :(

We simply have not coded the billing system to cope with it yet :/

But if you wish to place a deposit with paypal, we can accommodate, just open a ticket or message me, it will create a credit note that you can use on your servers

• i am using firefox

• Hi Rubbie, I have PM you some additional queries, we were unable to replicate the problem, so hope you can help us with some more details. feel free to email me directly as well or via the helpdesk

• Just FYI, we now have two-factor authentication, something that quite a few users have requested

http://blog.cloud.net/two-factor-authentication-now-available/