Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Anti-Spam Solution
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Anti-Spam Solution

I've been trying different stuff for years and I can't find a good medium of quarantine or tagging, and in the cPanel arena even things like ASSP prove to be a bit much for customers to train/manage.

I recently revisited an oldie MailCleaner (http://www.mailcleaner.org/) it's a good product, but honestly lately it just doesn't update quite too well, I have a few accounts of my own domains and I'm getting a slew of junk every day, it'd be okay if 1-10 pieces a day, but I'm waking up to 20-40+ every morning per account - it's letting more and more through, I train with spam and have enabled blacklists, just seems to be lacking.

Anyone know of a good cleaner appliance, I'm at my wits end right now - I love the daily reports and quarantine of mailcleaner - but it's failing to block. Any suggestions?

Comments

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran

I've heard good things about spamexperts, and they have a cpanel plugin. Lately there doesn't seem to be a free, one size fits all solution that doesn't involve some work.

• Jar said: Lately there doesn't seem to be a free, one size fits all solution that doesn't involve some work.

I'm not against work, MailCleaner has been work to get even half of the filtering ability it has, but its just continually getting worse.

I've considered once again leasing/buying a Barracuda or something similar, but just costs involved, trying to get my profits up vs. down - Just like Mailcleaner was curious if there was some sort of Gem out there - did find http://www.scrolloutf1.com/ in my recent searches... may be time to spin up a VPS to test.

• @mrcbrown said:
    ... even things like ASSP prove to be a bit much for customers to train/manage.

It's too bad ASSP is a bit much for your requirements, I have been using it to protect 200+ domains for years and I can't say enough good things about it. Best anti-spam I have ever used, and I've used quite a few.

Cheers

• geekalot said: It's too bad ASSP is a bit much for your requirements, I have been using it to protect 200+ domains for years and I can't say enough good things about it.

Oh don't get me wrong, the cPanel end of things works great, but it was too aggressive for many customers - and while I'd tune it'd still eat what it wasn't supposed to, and sometimes prevent things from ever showing up, one customer had me whitelist his entire domain because he couldn't ever get it to whitelist email addresses, and I had similar issues too - great piece of software, just need something a tad more user friendly.

• @mrcbrown said:
    Oh don't get me wrong, the cPanel end of things works great, but it was too aggressive for many customers - and while I'd tune it'd still eat what it wasn't supposed to, and sometimes prevent things from ever showing up, one customer had me whitelist his entire domain because he couldn't ever get it to whitelist email addresses, and I had similar issues too - great piece of software, just need something a tad more user friendly.

I hear you on that part; some features/functionality can also occasionally get "fixed" from one version to another ... in unexpected ways.

• geekalot said: I hear you on that part; some features/functionality can also occasionally get "fixed" from one version to another ... in unexpected ways.

Indeed - there was a great add to scan outgoing, worked flawlessly for a long time, kept folks scripts and such from relaying spam, saved my bacon from blacklists, however after an update it started blocking everything for some folks and their outgoing! Doh!

I've been really hitting SA channels (not a ton to choose from) and trying to find a good set of RBL's and such too without going overboard, but that seems to be the trend of spam lately, either block too much or never enough! Guess it's time to just unplug and call it good :)

• CFarenceCFarence Member
    edited December 2014

Has anyone tried Mailborder? It's pretty good. it uses most of the same backend stuff as mailcleaner. Though it does use postfix not exim. The only thing is its not free but the people behind it released a new lower cost license. But it doesn't have clustering in that license, which is something I need since my master sometimes goes down. I tried just having a second MTA forward everything it receives for my domains to it. But mailborder would see it coming my from IP and it wouldn't pick up the black list checks, since it came from my clean IP.

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

geekalot said: It's too bad ASSP is a bit much for your requirements, I have been using it to protect 200+ domains for years and I can't say enough good things about it. Best anti-spam I have ever used, and I've used quite a few.

There's ASSP Deluxe for cPanel as well.

• Jar said: I've heard good things about spamexperts, and they have a cpanel plugin. Lately there doesn't seem to be a free, one size fits all solution that doesn't involve some work.

SpamExperts are fantastic. We've been using them for a while now and we're actually planning on selling the service as an independent product.

OP, if you're considering SpamExperts, you should totally go for it. It integrates seamlessly with cPanel and works like charm.