Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Avoton CPU are they any good?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Avoton CPU are they any good?

I've been looking at getting a new server for trying out virtualisation prob solusvm unless someone recommends anything better and was looking at online.net and wondered what the avoton CPU were like and what experiences people have had with them.
http://www.online.net/en/dedicated-server/dedibox-xc

Also would you use them in a production environment with paying customers having vm's on it? The 1hdd is a little concerning but I could do whole system backups to say ovh hubic 10tb

Comments

• Fair enough fine for personal then and learning. Was gonna get the smaller one but more cores n ram for vps was what I was thinking.

• said: wondered what the avoton CPU were like

The CPU's themselves are very good. They do have slower single-core performance against an E3 but their power consumption & heat output are much lower.

If you only want to try out virtualisation and familiarise yourself with it, it is a good, inexpensive choice. Will run a few personal vm's without issue.

said: Also would you use them in a production environment with paying customers having vm's on it?

No, I don't believe they are production ready, especially not without multiple drives.

Zen said: Nope. And you shouldn't worry about redundancy with the one drive, worry about speed (and then redundancy, obviously.)

This. If you can get one built as a 1RU, with 4 drives in RAID10 plus a caching SSD, they will do the job admirably. Unfortunately most of the Avontons in the LEB bracket are blades with 1 HDD, maybe two if you get the right provider, and then it is good for RAID1 only.

• @ginner159 said:
    Also would you use them in a production environment with paying customers having vm's on it?

In most cases, you'll get a better bang for your buck with a "regular" Xeon CPU.

• MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran

Microlinux said: In most cases, you'll get a better bang for your buck with a "regular" Xeon CPU.

Atoms will save power for the provider, until many offer them, a regular Xeon is better, has more options regarding drive bays and is probably even cheaper. Once avotons are out of leasing, the situation might change.

• rm_rm_ IPv6 Advocate, Veteran

The 20 EUR server from OneProvider (online.net reseller) http://oneprovider.com/dedicated-servers/paris-france is a better deal compared to the XC.

Thanked by 1trexos
  • Our next datacenter deployment will likely use Avoton. Supermicro has a sweet 12 blade server with 2 Avoton's per blade.

• @Maounique said:
    Atoms will save power for the provider, until many offer them, a regular Xeon is better, has more options regarding drive bays and is probably even cheaper. Once avotons are out of leasing, the situation might change.

Yes they save power, but the amount of savings isn't going to be that great on a handful of VPS nodes. You pay slightly less for power, but you can't pack as many VMs as you would on a regular Xeon CPU so your revenue per node drops. Unless you save more on power than you lose in revenue, it doesn't make sense to use an Avoton for VPS hosting.

• linuxthefishlinuxthefish Member
    edited September 2014

@rm_ said:
    The 20 EUR server from OneProvider (online.net reseller) http://oneprovider.com/dedicated-servers/paris-france is a better deal compared to the XC.

Do you still get the good support and nice control panel that comes with online.net? Anyone knows if they support paypal?

EDIT: Yeah they support paypal!

• rm_rm_ IPv6 Advocate, Veteran
    edited September 2014

linuxthefish said: Do you still get the good support

Unfortunately what you get is a slow middle-man of questionable competence instead (OneProvider support, which will have to forward your requests to Online.net support manually).

Also unlike at Online.net directly, they said to me IPv6 is not available at all. So on the second thought considering all of this the deal might be not as good as it seems after all. ^^ But heck, two 1TB disks with HW RAID instead of just one, and a similar or perhaps a better class CPU for exactly the same price.

and nice control panel that comes with online.net?

The panel was okay, and you do get fully automated instant IPMI.

• @ginner159 said:
    Also would you use them in a production environment with paying customers having vm's on it?

Unless you are selling something like this,

Thanked by 1ginner159
  • MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran

Microlinux said: Yes they save power, but the amount of savings isn't going to be that great on a handful of VPS nodes. You pay slightly less for power, but you can't pack as many VMs as you would on a regular Xeon CPU so your revenue per node drops. Unless you save more on power than you lose in revenue, it doesn't make sense to use an Avoton for VPS hosting.

I did not mean it as provider selling VPSes out of it but as provider offering dedis.
    As an end-user you do not see the benefit of lower power usage, only the increased number of cores and more memory than E3s, it might be worth it in some situations but not in others. Most of the time E3s are better, IMO.

• Acording to the online.net kvm over IP panel, my avoton is using just 27 watts! It's an amazingly powerful server for personal use though, and 100gb free ftp storage almost makes up for the lack of RAID.

It's only a 2.5" disk, but more than fast enough.

• For personal use than its fine but I prefer SoYouStart lines up, at least we got RAID 1.

• @linuxthefish said:
    Acording to the online.net kvm over IP panel, my avoton is using just 27 watts! It's an amazingly powerful server for personal use though, and 100gb free ftp storage almost makes up for the lack of RAID.

It's only a 2.5" disk, but more than fast enough.

I also have one of those servers from Online, and it's great - had it for 3-4 months and have no complaints at all.

• Saving power for your provider is almost the most useless thing you should consider about, it's their problem :D

• @sundaymouse be responsible! Be green! :)

Thanked by 20xdragon Maounique
  • cheers all
    what about using it as a shared web host. i have one of the 20euro ones atm but i using 3-5% of the actual system. so thinking of down sizing to save a little money, only has 2 low traffic websites on it (1 wordpress 1 html/php)

• It's really good :) Got one myself and it's really powerful for the money :)

• @ginner159 said:
    cheers all
    what about using it as a shared web host. i have one of the 20euro ones atm but i using 3-5% of the actual system. so thinking of down sizing to save a little money, only has 2 low traffic websites on it (1 wordpress 1 html/php)

Would be perfect, just make sure to use your 100gb free backup!

Thanked by 1ginner159