Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What does Email Spam Exactly Mean?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

What does Email Spam Exactly Mean?

Hi guys, I'm wondering if it's legal to build up a mail server for receiving only? And btw, if it's acceptable to run this kind of mail server in Ramnode?

Another question, off topic maybe, any VPS supporting video streaming recommended?

Thanks very much:)

Comments

• It is **not **illegal to have a receive only mailserver.

Thanked by 1noisycode
  • Are you basically asking if you can get in trouble for someone else spamming your inbox?

Not with most good providers if you put some security precautions in place. It's impossible not to invite some spam.

Thanked by 2noisycode Droid
  • @noisycode said:
    Hi guys, I'm wondering if it's legal to build up a mail server for receiving only? And btw, if it's acceptable to run this kind of mail server in Ramnode?

I think it's legal. But it might not be acceptable to vps providers, if there are many SMTP sessions simultaneously. Whether you are sending or receiving mail (or spam) does not matter, if providers want to reduce the load of the host node.

Thanked by 1noisycode
  • @noisycode said:

Your post has nothing to do with your subject line.

Thanked by 2ATHK netomx
  • noisycodenoisycode Member
    edited September 2014

@sleddog said:

Is it? I thought this question is derived from misunderstanding SPAM.

Thanks!

• noisycode said: Is it? I thought this question is derived from misunderstanding SPAM.

Your subject line asked for a definition of spam. For that, the wikipedia answer is as good as any.

Your post asked about the legality of a receive-only mail server. I fail to see what that has to do with the definition of spam. There is no law that says you must respond to email, so there is no question of legality. So go ahead, fill your boots. Your users might be pissed off though if they are unable to send mail. Still, it has nothing to do with the definition of spam.

Thanked by 1Pwner