Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

How to make piwik fast?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

How to make piwik fast?

I have been using piwik for getting visitor response in my sites. I have low traffic 3 sites overall "1000-800" visitor per day. So it shouldn't be a problem for piwik to act qucikly. In the vps i installed piwik there is Munin+Piwik. Nothing else. But as i implemented piwik it takes many seconds to load fully. I tested my webpage by Pingdom and shows a huge delay. Obviously i am using Apache2+Mysql.

(512mb ram+3 core, OpenVZ)

Any idea how can i make it fast ?

Comments

• Piwik itself do not slow down load times. But you should use cluster of servers for piwik server. And that should not be on apache2. Nginx only.

• @Profforg said:
    Piwik itself do not slow down load times. But you should use cluster of servers for piwik server. And that should not be on apache2. Nginx only.

:(

Is there any cheap/free piwik host you know ?

• ProfforgProfforg Member
    edited September 2014

obakfahad said: Is there any cheap/free piwik host you know ?

Unfortunately, it's not really possible to find it for free. It requires a big portion of server resources.

• piwik runs fine for us, we just have it running on our shared host virtualmin server, 14gb ram, running around 60 sites, sure the interface isn't instant to load, but its fast enough... certainly doesn't slow down clients sites or anything like that though

• Honestly he has no idea what he is taking about. I currently use it on apache with great results. Most likely you need to run the php archive command.

http://piwik.org/docs/setup-auto-archiving/

Thanked by 1obakfahad
  • rm_rm_ IPv6 Advocate, Veteran
    edited September 2014

I am using Piwik on a Kimsufi N2800 dedi, it's pretty fast, definitely not "many seconds", even with web and DB on the same server. Although I am using Lighttpd, not Apache, and have 2GB of RAM, not 512MB.

said: Obviously i am using Apache2+Mysql.

(512mb ram+3 core, OpenVZ)

Apache+MySQL+Piwik may be a bit too much for 512MB of RAM. Or your host has a very oversold disk with slow I/O speeds, or maybe the CPU is overloaded/throttled.

• What was the budget you got the VM you are using there may be better offers out than before.

• @wojons said:
    What was the budget you got the VM you are using there may be better offers out than before.

It is a yearly pack from Crissic.

@rm_ said:
    I am using Piwik on a Kimsufi N2800 dedi, it's pretty fast, definitely not "many seconds", even with web and DB on the same server. Although I am using Lighttpd, not Apache, and have 2GB of RAM, not 512MB.

Apache+MySQL+Piwik may be a bit too much for 512MB of RAM. Or your host has a very oversold disk with slow I/O speeds, or maybe the CPU is overloaded/throttled.

I think so, maybe it is about the disk.

@WebtastixIS_Shane said:
    piwik runs fine for us, we just have it running on our shared host virtualmin server, 14gb ram, running around 60 sites, sure the interface isn't instant to load, but its fast enough... certainly doesn't slow down clients sites or anything like that though

14Gb ram .. it is supposed to run faster. Isn't it ?

• @obakfahad

Is there a chance your APACHE max connections is not setup correctly And your hitting a wall there. Other than that I would check what your IO Wait is and see if the disk is just over loaded. But your vm may be a little on the small side for what your trying to do.

• mikhomikho Member, Host Rep

If you get a shared hosting account with me, hosted piwik can be added on top of it.

No need to monitor the shared account.
    Addon is valid while keeping the hosting account.

Thanked by 1obakfahad
  • geekalotgeekalot Member
    edited September 2014

@obakfahad, I'm running it with multimaster mysql replication to a bunch of instances and I don't see this issue. I agree that you should be aware of the archiving options in Piwik as that can make a big difference.

And, although the lazy answer might be to throw more RAM at it, I would suggest ensuring that you also have your Apache and MySQL setups tuned for optimal performance based on common suggestions you can find by searching.

• Ive also found that if your geolocation databases are not setup correctly, piwik will slow down by quite a lot.

• SilvengaSilvenga Member
    edited September 2014

said: I tested my webpage by Pingdom and shows a huge delay.

On my site, Piwik triples the loading time measured by Pingdom - and in reality Pingdom doesn't know what it's talking about. If you correctly defer (IE only) and async (modern browsers + IE) the Javascript, your users won't care.

Personally I bundle the Pingdom tracker with all my Javascript in one huge file. When the Javascript is parsed by the browser I immediately defer the script. So in reality Piwik adds less than 2ms to the loading of my site.

Thanked by 1obakfahad
  • @obakfahad said:
    It is a yearly pack from Crissic.

Had my Piwik there on a 1024MB special, was fine for months then got increasingly sluggish. Disk IO it seems. Moved it to a 768MB Vultr and it flies.

Thanked by 1DaveA
  • A very heavy app. I think i will try your trick @Silvenga........... @sleddog Are you running anything else with piwik in Vultr ?

• obakfahad said: @sleddog Are you running anything else with piwik in Vultr ?

Nope, only the Piwik install.

• @sleddog said:Nope, only the Piwik install.

It should be fast.

• @Mun said:
    Honestly he has no idea what he is taking about. I currently use it on apache with great results. Most likely you need to run the php archive command.

http://piwik.org/docs/setup-auto-archiving/

Sorry, i missed your post. That is a good link. Let's see what happens. Thanks.