Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

SSD or Larger Disk
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

SSD or Larger Disk

johnjohn Member
edited June 2012 in General

I'm doing some market research.

Do you prefer a SSD based VPS or a larger disk capacity with decent performance?

What do you think a good ratio between RAM and SSD space is? For example, do you think 4GB disk per 256MB RAM is reasonable and usable?

Comments

• TaylorTaylor Member

I like the idea of some ssd space plus some normal storage.

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran

Sounds like you're talking about ramnode ;)

I prefer some ssd and some additional storage on an acceptable raid setup. Truthfully it depends on the job.

• yomeroyomero Member

Obviously it depends of how do you will use the VPS.

For my uses I can squeeze my stuff even to < 2gb with the OS included.

• Nick_ANick_A Member, Top Host, Host Rep

@jarland said: Sounds like you're talking about ramnode ;)

Indeed!

@jarland said: I prefer some ssd and some additional storage on an acceptable raid setup. Truthfully it depends on the job.

We're actually looking into offering something like that as well.

• johnjohn Member

@jarland said: Sounds like you're talking about ramnode ;)

Honestly, before I made this thread, I hadn't heard about RamNode before.

• MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran

I think 2-4 GB SSD and 10 or so regular as /home or something, should be best, but that is a one-size fits all that will probably not be a good idea as ppl in the market usually know what they want and how will they use the VPS.
    I would go with regular storage if no swap, or regular storage and swap on SSD should suffice for most usage scenarios.
    M

edited June 2012

@Maounique Question is, can such a thing be done on OpenVZ? Additional as /home that is.

edited June 2012

Hum, TBH I dont know, but I don't think the cp is so bad that can't allow a different device be used for swap. Even if it doesn't, can always mount some place or something... I never used vswap in my setups, dont think I will ever use it, if there is a need I can buy more ram or use Xen.
    M

• prometeusprometeus Member, Host Rep

@jarland said: Question is, can such a thing be done on OpenVZ

I don't know if you can do some tricks to bind different mount points inside a private/root (never looked at this) vps but solusvm don't support it nor do proxmox (which allow containers to be placed into different directory)...

edited June 2012

Would be quite an accomplishment to see it done on the host node in such a way that everything but one mount point (like /home, possibly in variable form for the user's preference) was on a separate storage device. Obviously not an issue for KVM, but could result in some crazy openvz plans ;)

edited June 2012

Even tho I never did it, in theory, i dont see why would be impossible. And I think cps could automate this at ppl's request or someone will write a module.
    M
    Edit: another thing on the TODO list for me :P My homelab was deserted last 2 weeks.

• jcalebjcaleb Member

@john what if you offer different package. have a package for ssd, have another package on another node with regular disk but larger space.